Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 'door ajar' or 'dome light' staying on? Forum members suggest various methods that they fixed their issue. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred method.
          Print Wikipost

If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Let me just add my appreciation to the OP for this solution.
          This problem led me to find this forum for the first time, and now I look forward to perusing the rest of the site for other $$-saving and time-saving tips!

TYVM!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
          Its started again

Ok, my truck was doing the same thing, but only when it was warm or hot outside. It did it through the winter this time, I sprayed it with the WD and it quit...well, it got to about 60 degrees today and the dang then started doing it again...any suggestions?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
          door ajar

I've had success with working the lock/unlock switch.I still watch it closely,,I've drained a battery...

Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
          Hey guys, just an FYI to help figure out which door switch is causing the problem.

On my 03 screw FX4, I used the odometer display Instead of disconnecting each door switch to figure out the bad one. You do this by holding the "trip/reset" button in and turning on the key and continue to hold until the display changes then let go. You will get all kinds of kool displays by pushing the trip/reset once each time including a digital Tach. and speedo and check all your dash display bulbs too. Keep pushing until you see the one that says "DOOR" and #'s next to it. When you open and close the doors the numbers next to "DOOR" will change back and forth. Whatever door you open and close and the display does not change is the door switch that is bad. This is extremely helpfull when you have a 4 door truck.
          As far as I know, this method should work in any of the Ford vehicles with the small green digital odometer display.

Also, if you need to replace both switches, They are LEFT and RIGHT sensitive. (I belive they r different colors too) If you put the right switch in the left door and the left in the right the switches will work opposite of what they are supposed to ( turn on when you shut the door ETC....)

Hope this helps someone.....Let me know.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
          WD-40 is some amazing stuff. For you old school Harley guys as well....ever get moisture in the Magneto, flush it with WD-40, let sit for 10 mins with cover off, re-assemble and kick it!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 AM
          2000 Navigator Lift Gate

Will this fix work on the lift gate of a 2000 Navigator? If we open the glass, the lights don't stay on. But if we open the lift gate, the lights won't go off. The Mrs. is getting a bit perturbed.

TIA,
          Bob

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 PM
          Thumbs down Door Ajar

I tried the WD40 trick and it didn't work....Yes, I soaked it down.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 AM
          I used the WD-40 on the lift gate latch on the Navigator and it worked!

Now I'm in the dog house since it only took about 15 seconds to fix and the Mrs. had been fighting the problem for about two weeks.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:44 PM
          DRJ
          I just "fixed" a customers car using some WD-40 on her 97 ford explorer, she had trouble with her dome and fact. alarm going off for "no reason", I got that sum beach and drenched the crap outta 'em latches and off on 'er way she went 100% satisfied! Thanks OP!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 AM
          Originally Posted by 06White150
          You do this by holding the "trip/reset" button in and turning on the key and continue to hold until the display changes then let go. You will get all kinds of kool displays by pushing the trip/reset once each time including a digital Tach. and speedo and check all your dash display bulbs too. Keep pushing until you see the one that says "DOOR" and #'s next to it. When you open and close the doors the numbers next to "DOOR" will change back and forth. Whatever door you open and close and the display does not change is the door switch that is bad.
          this post was 3/07 ... does anybody know if after cycling through the displays that the display shuts off? or does it shut off after you restart the car?

I'd love to try it to see what's displayed, but wouldn't want to get stuck with them on

my used Screw I just bought, does have the door ajar light issue. Also no dome light at all, so they pulled the relay. We'll pick one up tomorrow and try the electrical cleaner/silicone trick.

If that doesn't work the dealer where we bought it has it on a 'we owe' sheet for additional repairs. I just hate to take it back there if we can fix it ourselves.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
          Oposite??

Hey has anyone had the opposite problem? My 2004 F150 (new style) lariet won't kill the radio or trigger the dome lights when any of the doors open. I end up having to just let the radio go for 10 mins till it automaticaly shuts down. I don't think its a problem inside the door as it would have to be in all the doors. any ideas??

The dome lights do work when you turn them on manualy or press unlock on the remote. so I know the bulbs etc are good

Old 09-30-2007, 08:24 PM
          I'm not sure if its the same switch as used on the older model but it sounds like the switch is stuck in the closed position where as ours seem to stick in the open position.
          Try some WD40, it wont hurt anything.

Oh, welcome to the site, you'll find all the info you will ever need right here.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM
          my husband put CRC non conductive electrical cleaner on the drivers door, and then used white lithium grease.

bye bye door ajar light

thank you guys so much!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 PM
          Originally Posted by Fordoholic
          Hey has anyone had the opposite problem? My 2004 F150 (new style) lariet won't kill the radio or trigger the dome lights when any of the doors open. I end up having to just let the radio go for 10 mins till it automaticaly shuts down. I don't think its a problem inside the door as it would have to be in all the doors. any ideas??

The dome lights do work when you turn them on manualy or press unlock on the remote. so I know the bulbs etc are good
          the previous owner pulled the relay for the dome light on ours b/c of the door ajar light problem. It also worked fine manually. husband looked under the dash and saw the missing relay. It cost about $14. to get a new one.

don't know about the radio.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 AM
          Ding, Ding, Ding, Not Gone Yet.

I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM, BUT THERE ARE NO WARNING LIGHTS OR INDICATORS ANYWHERE. My 2000 f150 starts dinging about 15 seconds after I start it. It dings 5+5+5+5+5 (5 sets of 5) then stops for 30 mins. or until I stop then start it up again. I have tried the wd40 and looking for the wires suggested under the steering column with no luck. I can't find this problem addressed anywhere. Anyone else have this problem???? PLEASE HELP

Quick Reply: If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.