Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Electrical Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Electrical Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-23-2005, 06:13 PM
2006 Ski Doo GSX 600 SDI HO
My Garage

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F350 V-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees99f150
Since people are always asking how to fix their dome light or door ajar light from staying on. I thought i would make a post showing how to fix it.
Click the image to open in full size.
If the light is on and the doors are shut then spray some WD40 in to the latch. The door switch is probably stuck. Click the image to open in full size.
Spray in both doors then open and close them a few times. sometimes you will need to spray a lot of WD40 and it will run out the bottom of the doors. Just leave them open until it drains out.

thats exactly what brought me here to f-150.com back in janurary in the first place

...zap!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150sc04
still no luck .sprayed all 4 locks and unpluged all doors. guess it will go to the dealer
When you spray use the spray straw and point it well up into the lock area where you can't really see. That's all the dealer is going to do to get your $500!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150sc04
still no luck .sprayed all 4 locks and unpluged all doors. guess it will go to the dealer
I indicated earlier to spray with the spray straw. I used Fabulous Blaster by PB. It's a penetrating catalyst!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 FORD F150
ohhhh boy

thats been bugging me for years......thank you...i always was soo dang frustrated...at work everyone would tell me my lights were on..i would always have to say they turn off in like 20 minutes
Old 07-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 4x4
Its just not the F150's. My wifes 97 Taurus had the same issue wtith the domelight staying on from a sticking latch switch. WD 40 works everytime. Great thread!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Lincoln Navigator
I know this thread was all but dead, but Ihad this problem on my navi that had gotten so bad I was pulling the fuse to stop it. I then tried this (long before I knew about this site, damnit) and slammed the doors a few times and now it only happens intermittantly every few months and even then it usually goes away. The guy at ford told me the switch was magnetic and that they frequently had this problem. Slam the shiat out of it once you have sprayed it real good, and if that doesn't fix it, take it and get it fixed. Its an aggravating SOB
Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees99f150
Since people are always asking how to fix their dome light or door ajar light from staying on. I thought i would make a post showing how to fix it.
Click the image to open in full size.
If the light is on and the doors are shut then spray some WD40 in to the latch. The door switch is probably stuck. Click the image to open in full size.
Spray in both doors then open and close them a few times. sometimes you will need to spray a lot of WD40 and it will run out the bottom of the doors. Just leave them open until it drains out.

Worked for me!! Thank you very much!!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Worked here also. thanks for the help!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to 99fordman
I'm glad to know I have a honest mechanic, if there is such a thing! lol I had the dome light problem about 8 months ago. So I took it in to the mechanic and he called me and told me it was fixed free of charge. He actually showed me this neat little trick too. I was impressed with his honesty!
Good thread it works every time!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150
Talking

Thank You!!!! Thank You!!!! Thank You!!!!

I just did this WD-40 trick last night on my 99 F-150 and it worked awsome!! This had been driving my nuts for 3 weeks that I pulled the 15A fuse, but I couldn't put the windows down b/c there on the same circut. I was so close to biting the bullet and droping my truck off at the local "stealership" to fix.

Anyway no need to pull the fuse to get the dome light to go off anymore
Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 ford expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitrhs99
My Dad's 2001 Subercab 4x4 is doing this. I was wondering if this is happening on all models and trim levels.
well my dads expedition is doing this too it probably is on all fords from around 97 and up
Old 03-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F-150
In light of similar probs in various Ford models,I'm surprised FOMOCO has not addressed this issue. X
Old 03-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 97 F-150 & 03 F-350
To the people that tried this and it didn't work: Try using ether(starting fluid) instead of WD-40. WD-40 worked on my truck, but not on my uncles. We used ether and it fixed it.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:57 PM
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
I had the same issues with my 98 scab, tried the WD40 along with everything else I could get my hands on with no luck. Finally ended up replacing the $10 relay in the fuse box and have not had a problem since.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Garage is empty, add now

this worked great but now

I used the wd-40 trick and low and behold the light went out. It was driving me nuts...

Now I notice that the light will stay on ocasionally until I turn the key to the on position then it goes out.

Any ideas?

Jimmy
Old 03-12-2006, 02:24 PM