Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 'door ajar' or 'dome light' staying on? Forum members suggest various methods that they fixed their issue. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred method.
          Print Wikipost

If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          My '03 did this just yesterday, I'll try the WD-40 fix. I actually undid the negative battery to get the stupid dome light off. Leaving now to go try this! Thx!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 AM
          Thumbs up Dome light or running board lights stay on FIX

Our '98 Exped. EB had a problem with the interior light and running board lights coming on during the night or when parked. After trying the WD-40 trick a few times, only lasted a short time. Finally found it was the switch in the tailgate at the handle that was bad. Removed the interior hard plastic cover and weather seal plastic cover and disconnected the switch and the problem stopped. Was not hard to do. Hope this helps. The switch is not cheap so it is staying that way.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM
          Question

COOL!!! I have been looking for a fix for this for two weeks. finally came across this site, I will try after work and post my results! Also, Aside from my dome lights being on and my 'door ajar' message on dash (06 f150 by the way), My lock and unlock buttons on both driver and passenger door stopped working at the same time as the door ajar light coming on. Will not work on keyfob or the door buttons, Does anyone know if this is related to the door light coming on?????????? Thanks for any feedback!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
          Okay so.. Could not find WD-40, Used a 'silicone lubricant' in the same type of can like WD-40.. did not work , Will try with actual WD-40 today.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
          when you disconnect the switch you have to ground them out making the computer think that the doors are closed thats how i do it at the shop once you find the bad switch just ground that door lock everything will work fine it will just not turn on your dome lights or chime due to it thinking the door is closed

Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
          Thanks for the info on grounding the door switches. Never thought of doing that. - Rich

Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 PM
          So.. found out my transmission was slowly breaking and one of the main 'ground' parts was cracked which was shorting out my door switches and outside temp display, New transmission and everything works fine now!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
          Now I have read through the last 11 pages and wanted to know is this issue related to only "dome lights" staying on all the time or dome lights staying on after the door is closed at start up, or random dome lights coming on and going off? Also does the "door ajar" light linked or can it be an issue with one or the other.
          The reason I ask is because my 04 XLT F150 stated to have dome light issues about 2 weeks ago. it started with a flicker one time and that turned into them coming on while driving for minutes at a time. I dont think this has happened yet in a situation where I get in the truck and start it and they stay on. I have never witnessed the "door ajar" light come on at any of those times.

thanks

Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
          Wanted to post my issue with this problem.
          I had only dome/cargo/interior lights staying on. No "door ajar" problem, just the lights.

Read that wd40 does the trick, but not in my case. I took both doors apart, latch out, top and bottom switches of the latch Ohm tested and they all tested fine. Thought for sure it might be a broken wire between the door and body, through that rubber tube/boot, but after bruising my wrist tendons found no broken wire.

Took the boys to baseball practice today and was ready to remove the fuse so the battery wouldn't die and thought, maybe something with fuse panel/GEM/delay relay, something down there. So there I am, upside down pulling relays, testing and whatnot, got pi55ed off and just started banging on the backside of the fuse panel (is that the GEM?) with a pair of pliers and what do you know, the lights started working as they should. HA!

I skimmed that "solution" on some website forum, someone had mentioned tapping on the GEM for this issue. Well, that seems to have worked for mine. maybe 1 of the contacts wasn't making a contact? If it happens again, I'll probably tear it all apart and lube up the contacts.

Just wanted to throw this out there, in case it might help someone else....

Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
          Thumbs up

Awesome fix this has been bugging me to death. However I didn't have any WD-40 but CLP breakfree did the trick almost instantly. Sprayed, opened and closed each door about 3 times each, and it was fixed.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 PM
          1999 EB Expedition Door Ajar Light Stays On

I want to thank you all for this WD-40 fix. My door ajar light started staying on intermittently a few months ago and finally this week it would not go off. The courtesy lights would stay on while stopped or moving under 5 mph or so. The second door I hit with WD-40 was the driver's side rear door, which is the one least often used. That fixed the problem. I did all the doors just to be safe.
          Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
          2003 Expedition - WD-40 on the rear passenger side - no more DOOR AJAR..
          Thanks guys.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
          2007 Screw FX4 - No "door ajar"

2007 Screw FX4 - I have no "door ajar" but all my interior lights, cargo light, and puddle lights are on. Doors open and closed. Engine started or off. I tried the WD-40, brake cleaner, and other lubes. No luck. Any ideas? I'm about ready to take it to the dealer and get screwed. What relay are people talking about? Where is it located? What is the GEM?

It's really hard to find info on this with all the posts. It looks like most of the replies are for pre 2004 models. They need to setup a survey sort of like the Facebook "like" button, that way if the fix worked, people can just click the "it worked" button and we don't have to look through 8 pages of "it worked!"!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM
          Well this is interesting, it looks like it might have been my instrument cluster. I don't know if it's going bad or just got corrupt. Might just need re-programmed.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 PM
          My door ajar light doesnt come on, but my dome lights, cargo lights, hood light, and white light on my third brake light come on and off at random, and randomly work when I need them to, would this be the same issue or something else?

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.