2002 xlt trailer lights wont work

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edited to prevent confusion

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 03-23-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Other common industrial/agricultural set ups include a 6 or 7 pin round and a 4 wire flat. The round runs the tail lights and Electric brakes etc. while the flat provides accessory power for things like acc. lights, a winch, a hydrulic pump (for dump bed trailers), a Hoist, etc. The round is wired traditionally so any vehicle can pull it down the road and have tail lights, Trailer brakes etc. but unless you have the 4 wire flat too and wired like the trailer then you will not beable to operate any of the accessories on it.

But wether it is 4 flat, 6 round, or 7 round your tail lights (AKA turn/brake/park lights) only run off of 3 wires.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I Degress...I just went and pulled the instructions from both the vehicle plug and the trailer brake control that I installed and it is as follows..

7 way
  1. Ground
  2. Tail lights
  3. Left Turn/Brake
  4. Right Turn/Brake
  5. Trailer Brakes (only with optional controller)
  6. Auxillary (completely optional)
  7. Reverse lights (optional)

The brake does run with the each turn signal on 4 flat, 6 round, or 7 round. I was completely wrong and I apologize to everyone for my confusion and hope my ignorance did not confuse anyone else!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 PM
2fords,
Start here and ignore my nonsense jabber....

lees99f150
check in the glove box, center console and under the center console cup holders for the controler harness and relays with the instruction sheet. If you dont have it then this post may help.

In the power network box under the hood, check fuse #20. #19 is the right turn signals and stop tail and #20 is the left. should be a 10amp fuse.
chucks bp
In the under hood fuse box drivers side of truck there is a 10 amp fuse for the left turnsignal and a seperate fuse 10 amp for the right turnsignal these are numbered 19 and 20
trailor tow running lts go through a relay and are fused by a 20 amp fuse numer 5 Battery charge and backup lights are handled by relays.

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 03-23-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Guys!!! Huge help, I didn't think each feed would have a seperate fuse. I had already replaced the housing on one trl thinking it was that but when I hooked my other trl up I new I had a truck problem.
Thanks Again!!!

Old 04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If things still haven't come together for you check the underhood fuse marked 101. this happened to me; except I bought a brand new $100 brake controller before I figured out the problem. Hop this helps.

Paul

Old 04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I converted my 02 super crew to trailer tow 7 pin with a factory harness.
Installed the Prodigy brake controller and added bright backup lites.
Hooked to a trailer, set the brake bias and pulled 250 miles.
All you need to do to test what you have operating is put the park lites on and the 4 way flashers, and test the pins in the connector for the proper signals and voltages useing the connector ground as a reference and not the body or frame.
This will test out the everything in one shot.
If you are missing anything you can see if it is the truck wireing or the trailer or both with different problems.
Follow PSS MAG'S posted photos.

Quick Reply: 2002 xlt trailer lights wont work