disable the #$&^ panic button on the key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question disable the #$&^ panic button on the key fob?

OK, I accidentally activated my truck alarm TWICE today and now I am officially one of those idiots with a car alarm that I used to curse. All the customers at McDonalds as well as all my neighbors now think I'm a moron because my alarm keeps going off. I would just as soon not have the damn alarm but it came with the truck.

Is there some way to deactivate the panic button on my key fob so I cannot set off the alarm by leaning against something with my keys in my pocket? If I can't deactivate it, I might just give up carrying the remote key fob alltogether. I don't need my horn blaring all the time, irritating me and all my neighbors.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know if theres any way to do it, but if all else fails, pry apart the keyfob and remove the button inside the keyfob, but leave the button cover on, so it still looks normal. Or, if you can, unplug the wire that goes to the horn....but i'm not sure if that's possible, just throwing ideas out there.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
This is an easy fix............. I did it to my 97' F-150 and the exact same thing on my wife's 04' Cherokee.

Note the location for each of the buttons before you start.

Now pry open the remote and remove the rubber cover that is between the buttons and the printed circuit board.

Cut a piece if electrical tape and place it on underside of the rubber pad covering the black dot that is for the panic button.

Make sure you do not cover the other black dots.

Put the remote back together.

Now when you push the panic button, it will not make contact with the circuit board and your neighbors will not wonder what idiot has hit the panic button on their remote again. Have never seen anyone come running to my aid when I did this in the past.

If you ever want to re-enable, just remove the tape.

Hope this helps,
Chris"Topher"

Old 02-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I'll give that a try! Thanks Chris.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Good information to know. I've had that problem a few times. For me it was more aggravating that I could never get it to shut off by pressing the panic button again. Always ended up having to use the key.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:16 PM
I opened the key fob and your idea won't work. The button you press is just rubber and the actual button is built into the circuit board. I was going to try and pop the button off the circuit board but decided against it since I only have one remote and no working knowledge of circuit boards.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:27 AM
Bummer................

My remote is for a 97" so it sounds like there has been a design change.

Does it look like there is any way to put something "solid" under the panic button so it can not be pushed down?

A more perm solution: Possibly put a small spot of glue on the back side of the button let it dry before putting it back together so a casual press did not set it off? Just thinking out loud here.

Without seeing the guts / design of a "current" remote, not sure what else to offer.

My only other solution would involve scraping off a spot along one of the paths on the remotes' printed circuit board that leads to the Panic Button. This would permanently "break" the connection even if the button was pushed.

I was so frustrated with the panic button on mine, I actually did this to one of my 97' remotes and it worked, but I later realized the electrical tape trick would work for me and could be easily reversed.

Not having a more modern remote I could not suggest where to possibly do this and also if it would cause other issues so proceed with caution if you are going to think about doing this. I did not suggest this before because it is so "destructive" compared to the simple electrical tape solution.

Hate my suggestion did not work for ya........... I know what a PITA that Panic Button can be.

Topher

Quick Reply: disable the #$&^ panic button on the key fob?