How to turn off "Service Engine Soon" light

Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to turn off "Service Engine Soon" light

My wife's 2002 Expedition has the "Service Engine Soon" light lit up in the dash instrument panel. I perform almost all of the service on this vehicle. My question is how can I get this light to turn off. It is rather annoying. Thanks for any help you can give me.

MELMAN
2001 Expedition 4X4
5.4L
K&N FIPK
SuperChip Supertuner
Magnaflow Stainless Exhaust

Mrs. MELMAN
2002 Expedition
Stock

Old 12-18-2004, 11:08 PM
By just 'getting the light off', you are NOT fixing/repairing anything. You could be digging yourself into deeper/more dangerous territory, by NOT getting it diagnosed properly.
Find someone with a scanner, (or bite the bullet), and take it to your local ford store and find out what's wrong. (at least a prelim diag/find out what the codes are for, you can decide to dig deeper at that time).

Seriously. By just turning out the lite you are helping no one, ESPECIALLY your vehicle. It could turn out to be something simple/cheap to repair, ON THE OTHER HAND, it could be something that really could cost you money in the long run.

My advice. Get the codes scanned. Cover yer ***.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:53 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
It's on because the engine computer has detected a fault in a system that need to be checked out and repaired.
This is the only way you see it before there is more serious problems leaving you stranded.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:13 AM
Thanks, I will get it checked out.

MELMAN

Old 12-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Autozone or other autopart stores will read the codes for free
post the code here and you will ged advice on what they meen.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Not that I"m flaming autozone (or any place that reads codes for free), (well, maybe I am a bit), , but it'd behoove you to have it done at a ford/mercury dealership. THEY have the proper scan tool, and will have the PROPER hardware/knowhow, and will/should give you a better idea of what further needs looking at, and./or what follow thru (pinpoint tests), need to be done to find the fault/faulty part.
Again, could be a bad sensor, could be a wiring concern, could be something as simple as a pcm reflash, (WHICH, I'm pretty sure autozone (whomever), could NOT handle, OR would even have access to proper reflash hardware).
My .002

(I might be a bit bias being as I work @ a ford dealership tho).........

Old 12-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But will a Ford dealership read your codes for free while you wait? Or does it involve dropping the vehicle off and paying a service fee to have it done? I'm not willing to make arrangements to drop off a vehicle and fork out $100 just to have a Dealership tell me what the service code is! Just having to make arrangements to leave my vehicle is a PITA, which is why I do most of my work myself. Plus the fact that when you drop off a vehicle it spends more time in the parking lot than the garage. My truck can get a tan at home just fine.

You can also buy your own code reader. I don't have to worry about it because my Predator tuner will read and clear codes.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:57 AM
I can't say what YOUR local dealership will do as far as cost/time/money. I do know what MY dealership does/costs.

And, again, having the local parts store throw at it' sellathon store read your codes to me is a farce. All they want to do is sell you parts that you PROBABLY don't need.

My .002

Old 12-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what does your dealership charge for reading codes? We already know that Auto Zone is free and the kid will try to sell you parts to fix the problem. At least you aren't paying $85 per hour shop time for them to read the codes.

If you work at a dealership, then it isn't a big deal because you will get preferential treatment and you can have it looked at while you are working. For normal people going to the dealership is a very expensive and troublesome proposition since EVERYTHING must be checked in, written up and dropped off. Come back by or call this afternoon to find out what the tech has to say, it's a minimum $55 charge just to get it looked at. No thank you, at least use a little lube with that thing.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I believe we charge $30. for a basic 'read codes', (while you wait). That does NOT include any pinpoint testing, or further diagnostics.
WE also run oaisis, messages and find out if there are any pertinent messages dealing with that specific code at that same time.
And that is within a couple of minutes of you coming in the door.

(again, that's at OUR dealership).

No lube necessary....................................:roll eyes:

Old 12-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Lets get an understanding here about what reality is.
You buy these tucks and cars for any number of reasons from wanting reliabilty to needing one.
You "have" to accept that these vehicles ar now complex with electronics.
It is no longer a cheap deal to just fix anything but a flat tire like years gone by.
The dealer is in a profit making venture with overhead to pay for.
Just like the power company.
Unfortunately as time rolls on the dealers becomes more powerful in the repair of the truck or car due to the specialized parts, procedures and information and are often limited by the company as to how a repair is to be done, why and under what conditions.
Un fair as it often becomes, this is the deal until so much hell is raised that the gov. will have to step in, make it worse before it gets better.
Look at the big picture and include all the areas that contribute to the customer being nearly unable to afford the repair a vehicle in the future if things keep going the way they are now.
I am taking neither side but the customer makes it possible for bussiness to continue.
Use your power and ask for reasonable circumstances.
Many vehicles now days are traded long before worn out because of the complexity/cost of repair gets to the owner.
The dealers like nothing more than to have you keep trading for any reason.
Anyone tell me where i'm wrong on anypoint?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I disagree with Drag79. I have taken my truck to Autozone in the past and had a successful read and solved the problem for around $15. My light came on and the Zone read my code, it just gave them a number, no interpretation, no wizardry, just a simple code that popped up on the scanner.

I then proceeded to do a little search on this site and found out that it was a problem with the throttle position sensor. I ordered a new one the next day and after a 10 minute install, problem solved.

I just don't see the problem with this, if the code turns out to be something beyond your ability, you still aren't out any money. Then you take it to the dealer.

By the way, my truck has been at the dealer for almost a week now, $1200 later, I get it back. Nothing the Zone could do for this one!

Joe

Old 12-19-2004, 08:39 PM
I"m glad, that ONE person had good luck with going to autozone/wherever.
Obviously things are different where you live.
I've heard absolute horror stories from customers and reading about stupid things on the internet.

Again, IMHO, they want to sell you parts, whether or not you need them.

Sad to hear you're having troubles/problems with your local dealership.

I'll get off my soapbox now and never say another bad thing discrediting anything but ford service/parts outlets..........................

Old 12-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Her truck is at the local dealership as I write this. They are going to diagnose and give me a call in the morning. I have always believed that I will not pay someone for something I can do myself but if I am going to pay for something to make sure it is done right. I'll let the Ford dealer check it out for me. It may cost but I feel it will be diagnosed right the first time. My wife can stay home tomorrow and wrap presents. Thanks for all of your replies.

MELMAN:santa:

Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I didn't say I was having problems with my dealer, it is just unfortunate that I am spending $1200 there! It was an electrical problem that I couldn't fix myself. I don't mind paying for work, but I will always try to do it myself first.

One quick question though. When I got my truck back, the airbag light was still on. It was on when I took it in (I assumed it was related to my other numerous electrical problem caused by a window leak), but I didn't mention it to them when I dropped it off. I asked them about it and basically got the reply that since I didn't mention it, they wouldn't look for it. They pulled the entire dash out and replaced the GEM and a 4wd relay, surely they would have seen a code that was causing the airbag light to glow.

I thought they would try to up-sell me on fixing that too, or at least bring it to my attention. Isn't there a policy about sending a truck out of the shop with a light like that on? What if I was in an accident and the bag didn't work, I would think they would have a hard time defending that one (I am not that kind of guy, I wouldn't sue).

just looking for your (drag79) opinion.

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to turn off "Service Engine Soon" light