Help! Help! Help!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Emergency Override Button and Dimming Panel

Good Morning Folks! I found this website and need help. All you F-150 Truck owners are so helpful when I was cruising through this website. So much information and helpful too. Two things...(one) Where is the emergency override button? Hubby and I had to get a new battery. Now the battery light is still on even though the battery is new. Even though in the booklet is says "Special Instructions for Low Vehicle Battery Problems". Is the override button that blinking red thing just below the steering wheel? (second) The instrument panel is slowing dimming. We checked all the fuses and nothing seems to be amiss. My husband had the electrical system replaced when he first brought the truck and it was still under warranty. Whatever happened to simplicity? We'd like to keep the truck just for a little longer before we sell it to a private owner. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Our Truck is a 1998 F-150, v-8, XLT Triton.

Last edited by KitKat1120; 06-18-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Changed title.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Welcome aboard.

First off, make your subject line indicative of the nature of your query. Many ignore posts with titles such as yours (I usually do but I was bored today).

Always identity your vehicle by year, engine, transmission, and drivetrain in the body of the post. There are differences that may be important in researching issues.

What's an "emergency override button"? Never heard of anything by that name...

Your symptoms are of no or diminished alternator output. This may be caused by alternator failure, a faulty cable or connection, or perhaps a faulty mega-fuse or a faulty inline fuse in the charging circuit. If you or your husband don't have the equipment or expertise to diagnose, take it to a shop that can perform a charging system analysis. If the alternator is not working properly, that new battery may get ruined in short order. At the very least, it will leave the truck stranded when the battery eventually goes completely dead.

Good luck.

Steve

Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The booklet you are refering to, what is this for ?

The downloaded version I have from www.fleet.ford.com has none of those word combinations in it. Is this for an aftermarket alarm by chance ?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 PM
IN HOPES YOU CAN HELP ME, I HAVE A 2000 F150, I REPLACED THE STARTER, ALTENATOR, AND BATTERY ALONG WITH SOME MINI FUSES, STILL MY BATTERY LIGHT COMES ON AND ITS LIKE MY ALTENATOR IS BAD AGAIN, BUT THE TEST SAY THEY ARE GOOD, ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE HELP, I APPRECIATE ANY ADVISE. iCANNOT AFFORD A SHOP, I RAISE MY GRANDKIDS.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
David you can go to the auto parts store and have the alt tested in the truck, might be a good place to start. Plus it's free!

Some times the brushes get hung up in their holders and the alt won't charge. You can take a hammer and give the alt a couple of whacks (just a sharp smack) while the truck is running. If the light goes out then you need to replace the alt. When you smack it don't be taking out your frustration. You can also go to Walmart and they can test the battery, they have a machine that will do a pretty complete test, not just a load test.

Good luck

Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would take a SWAG that it is time to check the alternator field charging wires, and see if they have become brittle and broken.
- You did just change it, so they have been disturbed.

Thread on the topic
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...nator-why.html

jbrew's pictures ( not in the thread for some reason )

Here is the 2000 Charging system with the factory color codes

Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SSCULLY he got it fixed, changed out the alt. He seemed kinda worried and posted for help in several old threads. He sent me a PM today and said all is good.

Thanks for putting up that info, I'm sure it will help someone in the future.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 PM
thought was electrical problem, f150

I went to the salvage yard and got a alternator from a couple years before my 2000, looked just like mine, matched up , everything fit perfect, but my battery light was still on. Replaced all kinds of stuff, turns out I had gotten a 95 amp alternator, and needed the 135 amp, took awhile to get it, but thank all of you who responded, its very nice to know their are a good group of people left. Thanks again!

Search this Thread