turn signals and brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn signals and brake lights not working

I just purchased a used 2003 f150 supercrew and the turn signals stopped working and so did the brake lights. they dont come on at all...like the little flashers dont even blink on the gauges. does anyone have any ideas of what i should look for and check? i was thinking maybe a fuse or relay or something? what do u guys think?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 08-27-2004, 04:26 PM
check the bulbs first then fuses and relays.if your bulb is blown it won't complete the circuit and the turn signal lights in the dash won't come on

Old 08-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Just resolved the same problem in my 97 F250

I had the same problem just today, no brake lights or blinkers (front or rear). Something wasn't working in the Multi-switch (The blinker switch in the steering column). I disassembled the steering column with the intent of pulling the Multi-switch, and when I activated the tilt control the column popped up with a jolt and all of the lights would work again. I hope you have as good of luck!

Old 08-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Have you checked the fuses? Did you do anything prior that could of caused this (added any modifications), etc.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:29 PM
It could just be what Joe in Oregon had...But will all going at the same time I wonder if the flasher is gone ? Happened to me once...My 2 cents...good luck and tell us how you get it working please...

Last edited by ConcreteGuy; 08-29-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Oh the problem could be a ground in the steering colume as well...

Last edited by ConcreteGuy; 08-29-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey folks, talk to me more about the MFS in the stearing column. I've had a problem with the directionals not working at all lately. They had gone out before but after a couple of door slams and messing around with the switch it seemed they were back for a while. They're now out for good. Can I access this MFS without messing with the Airbag? Also, where do I find the flasher so that I can check that. Fuses and bulbs are OK.

ricochet

Old 10-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Me again. Looking for some experience on this turn signal and MFS. I have a 2000 F150 and had the problem of loosing directionals from time to time then finally for good. I have the column covers off and can get the MFS off. Once disconnected I have no brake lights also. Put back on and brake lights didn't come back until a few minutes later. Where exactly is the flasher unit for the directionals on this truck? Another note mentioned on passenger side near the airbag but I can hear the flasher for the emergencies real close to the steering column. The emergencies are not flashing even though I can hear the flasher unit working. No flasher noise though when the directionals are applied. With the MFS is there a way to jumper the connecter to test the rest of the system?

Help!

ricochet

Old 10-04-2004, 12:48 PM
And in the final analysis. It turned out to be a bad flasher. It was fried internally but I'm not sure if the MFS caused it to fry or not. I did rebuild the MFS as it had crud and burn't contacts within. I had all kinds of strange symptoms along the way. Fuses burning from time to time, brake lights working but no turn signals and sometimes all worked as it should. The flashers, (there are two), were located way up under the dash behind where the ash tray and cigarette lighter is. I don't understand why they couldn't be more accessible seeing they're like a fuse and easilly swapped out otherwise.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all stays OK from this.

ricochet

Old 10-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Re: turn signals and brake lights not working

Originally posted by parkinlotpimp18
I just purchased a used 2003 f150 supercrew and the turn signals stopped working and so did the brake lights. they dont come on at all...like the little flashers dont even blink on the gauges. does anyone have any ideas of what i should look for and check? i was thinking maybe a fuse or relay or something? what do u guys think?
I'd check the obvious stuff...bulbs, fuses, etc...if that doesn't fix it, then send it in for warranty work. It's a 2003 and you shouldn't have to deal with it.

UNLESS it's over the 36K mile mark...

Tony

Old 10-05-2004, 08:37 AM
I'd first chech the fuse. I believe it's # 13 in the inside fusebox. Replace if burnt and if it burns again I'd then check the smaller flasher relay under the dash. On my 2000 f150 it was way under and not easilly accessible but it was burnt out bad and apparent by the melted side and the burnt smell. It was a blue box type of flasher. I think I may have taken the long way there with rebuilding the MFS but it's all working now. When I disected the flasher unit it had a copper buss bar type of thing that was melted off of the little PC board so may have been making contact intermittently before it finally croaked.

ricochet

Old 10-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Great, I thought I had the problem licked. All was working well over the last day until the # 13 fuse blew again this afternoon. Rulling out the MFS and it's connector, the flashers, and bulbs at this point. Which switch is it on the master cylinder that get fluid soaked? The one on the top or the bottom? Anything else that I should check?

ricochet

Old 10-05-2004, 08:03 PM
The switch on the top.Unhook it and see if everything then works(except the cruise).If thtas the problem its a dealer part ,about 30 bucks or so.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Good morning,

So last night fuse 13 burnt again on the way home along the highway. It seems very random how it's occuring. Not like I'm going over bumps or whatever. I did disconnect the switch at the top of the master and ran again last night and all the way to work this AM about 40 miles. Then just before I get to turn into the lot it goes out again. So I guess I can rule out that switch right. I have a bunch of fuses and will keep trying to determine just when and under what conditions this occurs but nothing is standing out yet. Any other ideas? I think I'll giggle the brake switch and investigate there during lunch today. I'm glad these are the cheap fuses.

Thanks,

ricochet

Quick Reply: turn signals and brake lights not working