CB Radio Static

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Radio Static

My son bought a Radio Hack CB and I installed the hot side to the cigarette lighter fuse at the fuse box and hooked-up the ground at one of the fuse box mounting screws of his '02 Ranger Edge. He checked the tuning of the antennae and it's right on but he gets alot of static when the engine is running. The squelch adjust doesn't help. I'm thinking I need some type of line filter but not sure what's out there. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-30-2004, 10:41 AM
ignition noise.

I just went through this and so what I did was to hook up power at several different locations to see what differences in noise level there would be. I also had a very strange symptom. Every time I would hit the brakes, the noise level would double. The first was to hook up at the fuse box at the AM FM radio power. The noise level there was on a scal of 10, it was about 3. The next was the cigeratte lighter socket. This was about 6 out of 10. The las one and the one I decided on was shielded cable from power staight to the battery. This one was about 2 out of 10. I also added another ground wire. From the radio chassis to the metal under the dash. I also added a line supressor the I got from radio shack. Its the one thats cylindrical shaped. The brake issue turned out to be a noisy brake assist sender. I got that suggestion from a member of this forum. I just routed the antenna and power cables away from the brake system. Also, if you don't mind sacraficing engine performance, there are several ways to supress noise as resistor plugs and supressor plug wires. Good luck ............. Rick

Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
maybe this will help

I am a proffesional cb technician and installer over the years i have found the best way to eliminate the noise is to make the ground wire as short as possible and run the power strait to an incoming power source from the battery. If you do any research you will find that dc power actually flows from ground to power not power to ground. so try those out and see if it helps otherwise you can locate a local cb shop or a radio shack for a noise filter.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by binlow86
I am a proffesional cb technician and installer over the years i have found the best way to eliminate the noise is to make the ground wire as short as possible and run the power strait to an incoming power source from the battery. If you do any research you will find that dc power actually flows from ground to power not power to ground. so try those out and see if it helps otherwise you can locate a local cb shop or a radio shack for a noise filter.
You might also want to ground the chassis of the radio, the antenna mount, and the coax shield. You can never have too much ground!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Before you go rewiring your CB, where is the noise being generated? Is it coming in the power source or in through the antenna? To verify, get it making noise and unscrew the antenna. If it goes away, the noise is coming in the antenna. Verify the antenna is tuned and matches well with a watt meter. What type of antenna do you have? Try to relocate the antenna or change to another model if possible. If the noise is still present with the antenna unscrewed, it is coming in the through the DC lines. Like mentioned before, make sure you have good ground (drill a hole into the chasis, remove all paint, and use a star terminal or washer if your not going to the negative terminal of the battery). Wire directly to the battery and if all else fails install a noise filter. If this doesnt take care of it, upgrade to a ham or business two-way!

Quick Reply: CB Radio Static