only have one key

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only have one key

Hello all, I am new to this forum.

I just bought a 2001 F150 with the 7700 pack, and it's a nice one.
But it only came with one key and one remote lock/unlock/panic transmitter.
I am bidding on a remote on Ebay and have read how to program it, and also aware to have all tx's present when doing so.

As for the key, I have read I need 2 working (programed) keys just to be able to program a 3rd (spare) by going through the off to on and off sequence with the 2 original keys prior to programing the 3rd.

Question is....
If I only have one key, can I fake the sys out by using it twice, and then program a spare?
If not is there any other option short of going to the local (and only Ford dealer within hundreds of miles) to be just poor money in their pockets?

Thanks - Juno

Old 04-15-2004, 08:17 PM
you've got to bite the bullet and go to the dealer when i had mine done it was $30 to program and $18 for the key and cutting

Old 04-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The dealer price varies.
My dealer charged me $25 out the door.

But that was in 1999, sometimes I forget that was five years ago. It may have been because I had just bought the truck and wanted a third key.

Last edited by Raoul; 04-15-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:44 AM
i heard a rumor if you leave the battary disconnected for atleast 10 minutes it will allow key cycle programming but i have never tried it. and ive never seen it writen down in any manual so it prolly doesnt work.

pats keys and programming are funny things you go to 1 dealer they might cut a key and program it for free if you are a regular customer or if you bought truck from them. another dealer will want $52 for the key cutting is free but programing is 1 hour labor.

you should call around asking how much key cut and program is.
but tell them you know the actuall programming sequence takes 10 minutes for the scan tool to access the module so i would say pay no more than .3 of an hour labor tops. some locksmiths will sell pats keys then you just take key to dealer and get it programmed. maybe if you get the oil changed there that time they will program it while they change the oil then they are happy and you are happy and have new oil.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Be careful

I tried to program my own spare using my 2nd key, didn't work now I have trouble with 2nd key working all the time, My dealer I bought my 02 from wanted to charge me 100.00 for a new key and Programing, But after some talking they agreed to do it for cost of key only(29.99) Just let them know you know what the hell your talking about.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:35 PM
No you cannot trick the HEC module. It knows them as a master key and a programmed key. Master key is the first key programmed to the vehicle. You will have to take to the dealer or find someone with an NGS and a green card that can program a new key for you. Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

FordMasterTech

Old 04-26-2004, 04:06 AM
Thanks for all the replys.
I have 2 new uncut keys coming from a guy on Ebay.
I live in a remote town, no roads in or out, and only 1 ford dealer.
Guess I am going to find out what it feels like....
tks again, and will post the out come.

Juno

Old 04-28-2004, 09:53 PM
JUNO,

I got my spares off of Ebay like you did. One for the 2003 F150 and 1 for the 2000 Windstar. (I think they were both like $11 each). Both owners manuals tell you how to program them. The only minor problem I had programming the PATS keys was it didn't "take" the first time around (neither one). I noticed the oval hole in the key head is off set. I flipped the key 180 degrees in the ignition and it worked. I'm not sure if the offset head has any effect on trying to program an unprogramed PATS key or it if was just a coincedence, but it definately "took" when I flipped it and tried the second time. I did the Windstar first, then the F150 and both vehicles did the same thing. One other thought, make sure whoever cuts your key gets it right the first time. Otherwise, if they goober the key someone will be stuck with a useless key. You can also hide a non-PATS spare just to get you in the door if you lock/lose the PATS while on the road somewhere. Alot cheaper key to keep stashed.

Just a few thoughts......John

Old 05-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Bought my '99 F150XLT 6 days ago (private sale). Got one key. Called the dealer and went on Saturday. $35 labor & $18 for each key (bought 2).

Cheers,
Jay

Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The magnet on the 'Hide-A-Key' box will not hurt the chip in a PATS key.

I just did a five year research test.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:27 PM
JPinPA
you must have gone to carl beaslys ford

Quick Reply: only have one key