Battery light won't go off

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery light won't go off

I have a 97 F150 with a 5.4 engine with air. The battery light stays on and will not go off and the battery does not charge. I had the battery checked and it turned out to be bad. With a new battery the light still stays on and still won't charge the new battery. I then changed the alternator which also turned out to be bad. But I still have the same problem. I checked all the fuses and they are all okay. I am at a lost right now, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi,
I had the same problem with my truck. Turned out to be the #19 fuse in the main fuse block under the dash. The fuse was good but it wasn't making a proper connection. Check my post here in electrical under truck not charging. The guys here really helped with their info. Hope you get it fixed.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I think it's that light green and red wire running from alternator, through your transmission safety switch, then to your charging light, finally to your ignition switch.

I would start there and make sure it's connected -- should be a separate connector between alternator and firewall. Then I'd check continuity all the way to your ignition switch, voltage drop, etc.

I went out to look at my wife's 1998 Expedition to verify the wire color and I noticed that her charging light NEVER comes on. Guess I'll be pulling that dash to change a bulb in the near future.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
I just had the same problem with my truck.
i had only enough time to try a different batt. and the light still sayed on.
My gauge shows that alt. is working fine, and not over charging or under charging.
I hope the fuse is the answer, any other Ideas would be great.
98 f-150 92,000mi. still running great, except for that Batt. LT.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:58 PM
battery light

Battery light is on and will not go off.
The battery died me and a buddy grab another battery out of my bronco II but he put the cables on wrong. It was only for a few seconds but the damage was done. We put the old battery back in put a charge box on it and got crank up every thing looked fine but the radio fuse was blown and I replace it. Last night I was driving home and it died on me. I have replaced the battery and the alternator, and check the fuses under the dash and in the power box under the hood, I also found a fuse near the battery but all where good. I am thinking it a fuse I just don't know where it is. Any ideas? Could it be a relay in the power box or under the dash?

Quick Reply: Battery light won't go off