98 F150, no brake lights, no flashers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 F150 - no turn signals, no hazards

I have a 1998 F150 with a 4.6 (if that matters). I have no turn signals and no hazard flashers (but I do have running lights and brake lights). I have checked all of the fuses for continuity in both the fuse box and the power dist box. All OK. I am guessing I have a problem with one of the relays in one of the two boxes, but the owner's manual doesn't point to one of of them. My Chilton manual was zero help.

Last edited by dogfood; 03-13-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:40 PM
most likely a bad multifunction switch, wich is on the steering column, where stick comes out. the hazard switch is built into that multifunctions switch. sometimes its just corroded connectors, but most likely needs replaced. its fairly easy to do, if you have a repair manual of some type, and you will have to buy the part from ford im almost sure of it. it costs about 70 buck if i remember correctly.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 PM
I'd like to thank you for this post. For quite some time, I've been without reverse lights and my 4x4 idicator. Recently, I fixed up a couple wires (1 leading to the transmission and 1 to the transfer case). This fixed the 4x4 light on my dash but the reverse lights were still out. It's not that I haven't thought about Fuses before, but you inspired me just now to go out and look them over. Sure enough, blown 15amp in the Power Distribution box. I will admit, however, that it was just a couple weeks ago I discovered that second fuse set under the hood. Considering I do 90% of my truck repairs and aftermarket installs, this was definately a Duh Moment.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks, kittyhatfield. I was thinking MFS as well, especially after the following happened ...

I jumped in my truck a few days ago and, presto, I have turn signals (both left and right) - which pretty much confirmed I did not have a bad flasher unit. But I still don't have hazard flashers and I have no idea how long I have had that problem, as I haven't tried to use them in years (nor have I needed to ... knock on wood).

Undoubtedly, I will lose turn signals again - and like you said, it looks like I can replace the MFS fairly easily. I'll put that job on the list. I haven't tried yet, but I think you may be able to get them at auto part stores rather than being forced into the dealership.

dogfood

P.S. - Urbancowboy - Sooner or later, we all fail to check the easy things first.

Quick Reply: 98 F150, no brake lights, no flashers