Brake light failure, fuse is good. Thoughts?

Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light failure, fuse is good. Thoughts?

Hi,

I was just told while at a stop sign that my brake lights failed to illuminate. The tail lights and the turn signals both work, but the brake lights do not on both sides. The fuse is good.

Any thoughts?

I just had a Rhino Liner installed yesterday, but I know there is no correlation

Old 02-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check wires at switch connector. If wires aren't broken unplug connector at switch and install a jumper wire in both connector terminals. IF brake lights work with jumper installed switch is bad.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-25-2004, 11:02 PM
I had the same problem. It's your brake sensor (if none of your brake lights work). It's a 13 dollar part at Ford. On your brake uh... lever I guess about a foot up is a small black sensor about the size of a tic tac box. Pull out the cotter pin and move everything off the post. Unplug the sensor and replace it with a new one. I'm sure someone has a picture of it. Good luck.

Email me if you have problems: sporkdevil@yahoo.com

Old 02-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. I just ran outside and tried to pull the pedal up to reset it, no prevail. I read this in an old post I found out on Google. I check for one tomorrow....

I didn't see a black box though. I did notice a connector that was attached to the pedal about 6 inches up the shaft. When I pressed the pedal slighty, I could hear it click. Like a selonoid.

Oh by the way, this is a 1999.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:22 PM
The thing with the connector, you may not be able to see it's actual size, but that is the brake sensor.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:31 PM
I'll get to it before work in the morning. Delaware Staties are nasty around here, I'm sure they would love to see me at a stop with no brake lights.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks Sporkdevil.

That is exactly what it was. I called Ford in Elkton, MD first thing this morning. They didn't have one, I called NAPA, they did but had to be delivered from another store. Then I called AutoZone, they had one in Elkton, MD. I drove up there, bought the part, took it home to install it and it wasn't even close. So, I called another Ford dealership in Smyrna, DE. They had it for $13.00. I drove down there, MATCHED THE PART, took it home, busted a few knuckles open, but got it in and it worked.

Thanks again for the pin-point accuracy !!!

Rick

Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 PM
I had the same problem; no brake lights, and couldn't shift out of park (since the truck thought I didn't have my foot on the brake). Turned out to be the wire going to the switch in question. The wire broke right at the connector, so I removed the connector and replaced it with two spade lugs. I then just pressed the spade lugs onto the switch terminals.

Still going with the original switch.

Coincidentally I had it in to the dealer once or twice for the same problem, they never found it before it broke solid and left me stranded.

In light of that, it hasn't been to the dealer in over 100,000 miles.

Walt

'73 MGB project
'83 Porsche 911SC
'97 F150 Supercab 4x4

Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 AM
I know I am dragging up a really old thread here, but what is this sensor called that is on the brake pedal? I have the no brake light symptom, but everything else works (lights, turns, hazards). But can I get the name of this sensor or switch.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It's not a sensor, it's the brake light switch.

Steve

Old 11-09-2004, 11:27 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
In 97 it was called the BOO, Brake On Off switch in 2000 it is called the BPP Brake Pedal Position switch. Maybe they got tired of the ribbing from having to say at the parts counter, The BOO is broken may I please have a new BOO.

JMC

Old 11-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JMC
Maybe they got tired of the ribbing from having to say at the parts counter, The BOO is broken may I please have a new BOO.

JMC

I found out they call it the Brake Light Switch (projectSHO89 you are correct), and I replaced it last night. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Question No brake lights but 3rd light works??

I drive very little, but in the last few months, i have been told a couple times that my brake lights were not working. the guy at Auto Zone thought it was the switch near the brake pedal, but decided it wasn't once i told him my 3rd brake light works. my truck is a 99, and i'm attempting to get answers before i end up spending what little money i have to fix this. i have noticed that recently one of my turn signals went out, so i replaced both tail light bulbs. it fixed the turn signal issue but not the tail lights. a couple days later, the turn signal had blown again.
it seems i have a whole list of issues with this truck- power locks not working, cold air heat, intermittent odometer. i'm lucky to have a decent mechanic, but i still cant afford the things i already need done- rotors, brakes, coil over plug.
anyone have any suggestions or know anything?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Check the connectors to the MFS. Replace switch if needed.

Steve

Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks, any help is greatly appreciated, but i'm not that truck savvy to know what that is or where it is. Could u please explain a little bit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light failure, fuse is good. Thoughts?