Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Electrical Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Electrical Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Question Fuel pump cut-off switch

I am a new member her so I am not very familiar with the board yet, so forgive me. But my dad and I are having a problem with me truck. I have a '98 F-150 Supercab that, I think, has a shut of switch or pump problem. I have talked to him about five times in the last few hours on this matter and I still cannot get it resoved.

First you have to press the button on the shut off switch 5-6 times then the truck will start. It will accelerate like a scalded dog and run like it should, the CEL does not come on, but if you shut it off you can't just restart it with out pushing the button half a dozen times , what gives. At first I thought that the pump was trying to take a dump on me, but the pressure is still there. Is there any way to by pass that thing until I get paid so I can get another one?

Thanks for the help guys.

Jim B .
Old 01-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
I assume you are talking about the inertia switch located behind the passenger side kick panel. You might disconnect and reconnect the harness just to make sure the connector is snug and making a good electrical connection.

Pushing the button energizes the fuel pump so you may be having a problem other than the inertia switch.

Last edited by temp1; 01-27-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2000 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to JMC
It opens the fuel pump circuit when a hard jolt hits it. When you press on the button it closes the circuit and allows current to flow to the fuel pump. Unplug it and join/short the terminals on the connector to close the circuit. You might test the relay while you are looking into things. It is in the battery Junction Box, along side the driver side fender in the engine compartment.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

4.6 to 5.4 swap, M5OD w/ Hurst short throw, Warn XD9000i, OBX Long Tubes /w Cats, Troyer E-fans, P-1SC Procharger @15psi, Troyer tuned. ;)
Swap notes; http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ml#post3570245
Old 01-29-2004, 04:05 PM