Fuel pump cut-off switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel pump cut-off switch

I am a new member her so I am not very familiar with the board yet, so forgive me. But my dad and I are having a problem with me truck. I have a '98 F-150 Supercab that, I think, has a shut of switch or pump problem. I have talked to him about five times in the last few hours on this matter and I still cannot get it resoved.

First you have to press the button on the shut off switch 5-6 times then the truck will start. It will accelerate like a scalded dog and run like it should, the CEL does not come on, but if you shut it off you can't just restart it with out pushing the button half a dozen times , what gives. At first I thought that the pump was trying to take a dump on me, but the pressure is still there. Is there any way to by pass that thing until I get paid so I can get another one?

Thanks for the help guys.

Jim B .

Old 01-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you are talking about the inertia switch located behind the passenger side kick panel. You might disconnect and reconnect the harness just to make sure the connector is snug and making a good electrical connection.

Pushing the button energizes the fuel pump so you may be having a problem other than the inertia switch.

Last edited by temp1; 01-27-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:05 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It opens the fuel pump circuit when a hard jolt hits it. When you press on the button it closes the circuit and allows current to flow to the fuel pump. Unplug it and join/short the terminals on the connector to close the circuit. You might test the relay while you are looking into things. It is in the battery Junction Box, along side the driver side fender in the engine compartment.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Fuel pump cut-off switch