F150 Windshield Wiper Governor Location

Old 10-10-2003, 01:17 AM
JJS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 Windshield Wiper Governor Location

I have bought a windshield wiper governor for my 1991 Ford F150. Can anyone tell me where this component is located, so that I can replace it?

A little history, my wipers started functioning in the high postion only. Low and intermittent stopped working. I replaced the switch, but it didn't help. So I bought the new governor. Appreciate the information.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2003, 09:07 AM
I have a 1990 F150 XLT with the same problem. I haven't replaced the governor yet but I found out where it's at! Look under the dash between the wiper switch and the fire wall. It's a black box fastened in place with one screw and it has two connectors on it. one goes to the wiper switch and the other goes into the harness. How much did the part cost?

Old 10-20-2003, 11:45 AM
JJS
Thanks for the information. That will help me change it faster. My local parts store didn't stock it, but could order it. The Ford dealer wanted over $100 for it. I bought mine on www.carparts.com for $41.91. I got another 10% off when I searched the internet for "carparts.com" and "coupon" and found a discount code. I had the part within a week. I haven't installed it yet because I am in TX right now and my truck is at my place in AK. I'M SURE it's the problem though. I tried a new switch already and that didn't help.

Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I know it's been a while since this thread was started but could you point me to the specific part? I searched for "governor" on carparts.com but came up with nothing. Could this be called something else?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:08 AM
bumping to the top

Old 06-08-2004, 11:49 AM
JJS
Wiper Governor

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I hope you'll see this.

Carparts.com has been completely restructured since I bought my wiper governor from them. The site isn't near as user friendly and I couldn't find the governor for my truck in there now.

Some of the auto parts stores could order this part. Some will have no idea what you're talking about. None in my area stocked it. The Ford dealer wants almost double for the same part and will also have some trouble figuring out what you're looking for.

Now, the important thing is how to determine if you really need a wiper governor. What I learned is that this is a component that is used with a system that has intermittent wipers. Ford was friendly enough so that when this governor goes out you still are able to use your wipers in only ONE postion, this is the high (fastest) postion only. If that is the only way your wipers work, then I can almost guarantee you that this is your problem.

The governor is a black electrical box attached to a metal bracket, it has two wire pigtails hanging off of it. One of them, of course ties right into the wiper switch. (which I mistakenly bought first trying to fix this problem.)

Good Luck!!

I found the correct ford part number on the internet in a forum doing a search last time. I couldn't find it this time though. Just helped to verify I was getting the right part.

John

Old 06-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I replaced the wiper motor hoping to find the problem (it looked terrible so it was probably ready to give anyway) and now the wipers only work in the high position like you described. The only question I have left is, are you sure it's only for wipers with an int. setting? Mine only has on-speed1-speed2.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:03 PM
JJS
Wiper Problem

Sorry, but I don't know for sure if it is the same problem or even the same governor with intermittent wipers. I do remember that back when I was selecting which governor I needed I had to choose the intermittent option.

In my unprofessional opinion, replacing it will fix your problem.

John

Old 06-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Thank you. I think this is enough to go on.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:36 PM
fix that box

I was able to fix the governor thingie. (After I got it out: it looked like they had plugged it into the wiper switch and then wired the rest of the vehicle around it.) Pry the ugly box open. There's a relay in there, and I found the solder joints for the relay on the little circuit board in there had broken. A little solder fixed it right up. Also, there's a little foam pad in the top of the box. Peel it out and throw it away; it's what caused the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 Windshield Wiper Governor Location