No Crank-Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Crank-Start

Anyone having a problem with no crank-start even though battery is good? This is a 2000 F-150 Lariat with 2900 miles. Has happened twice and the selling dealer is clueless. First time: Flatbedded to dealer and after almost three days the tech finally went to bring the truck into the service garage and 'it started right up'. Did not try to diagnose. Just said he 'cranked it about twenty times and started every time.' Second time was at night during a classic Wisconsin snowstorm. After deciding that I didn't want to wait two hours to get towed to a closed dealership tried hooking one side of the jumper cable to the pos' battery post and hooked the other end of the cable to the pos' post on the firewall mounted solenoid and it started right up. Brought back to the dealer describing the symptoms-sounds of the no crank/start, etc. and they again could not determine the cause. Problem is reminiscent of the original Mustang solenoid problems. Has anyone else encountered this and if so have you had the problem resolved? Thanks!

------------------

Old 12-24-2000, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem with any of mine...if the problem is found..please let us know!

Possibly a bad starter or bad connection in the system. Good luck!

(I'm a former long-term native of Wisconsin..GO VIKINGS!! Hudson Wisconsin)

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 12-24-2000, 10:10 AM
Jag
Lightbulb

Check the battery cables, especially the ground cable.

I had a Mustang years ago that did the same thing, ended up being a slightly corroded ground cable connection at the block. Funny thing was, it was an intermittant problem. I almost ended up buying a new starter out of sheer frustration.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

------------------
1998 F-150 Supercab 4X4
Silver Metallic Clearcoat
4.6 V-8
Off Road Package
Captains Chairs

Old 12-24-2000, 11:45 AM
Steveski
If you hooked the jumper to the solenoid terminal going to the battery, then you have a bad battery cable or connection. If you hooked it to the terminal going to the starter, it could be the solenoid is bad or something in the ignition switch or park/neutral lockout. That circuit is fused.
Merry Christmas

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 12-24-2000, 01:27 PM
Steveski,

You may also want to try using your other key. It could be that there's a problem with the P.A.T.S. anti-theft system. It may not be recognizing the key your trying to use, for some reason.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/R's, 16x8 Center Line Hell Cats. Needs one more door.
http://hometown.aol.com/ninetyeightfword

Old 12-25-2000, 12:11 AM
Cool

I had a similer thing happen to mine. I went to take it to lunch one day and it refused to even crank (or click like a dead batt). Turn key and nothing. Went out after work, anf it was fine, fired right up. About a week later picking my son up from school, shut it off, came back out, dead! Towed to dealer. They found a bad connection on one of my cables. Problem solved for almost a year now. I think it was the positive lead on the starter that was bad. Hope this helps, nice to see someone else from WI here.
Happy Holidays,
Jeff

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat 4X2
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield
VentVisors
Class III hitch
Ford molded mud guards
Soft tonneau cover
Factory CD with changer
Tinted windows
Factory fog light kit

http://www.my-f150.com/lariatregcab/

Old 12-26-2000, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
98fword, the PATS keys will still crank, but the engine won't fire. Sounds like either a cable, solenoid, or switch... the next time it does it, have someone turn and hold the key while you check for voltage at the solenoid... all 4 terminals should have juice while cranking. If only the hot from the battery has juice, it's the switch. if the switch and the battery terminals have juice, it's the solenoid. If they're all dead when the key is turned to start, it's the battery connections.
-Joe-

-Joe-

Old 12-29-2000, 03:13 PM
I bought a 2001 with a 5.4 last week and I have had the same problem 3 times since. The first time, they found ice in the starter, so the cleaned it up and it worked until the next morning. Then, they put a new starter in. Now this morning the same thing happend. As it was getting towed in, the tow truck driver told me he towed 3 others to a different dealer this week with the same problem. That dealer had found that it was a design flaw with the solenoid. What they found is this. Because of the way the solenoid and starter are positioned, when snow melts off of the engine, water can drip into the solenoid causing it to freeze up. So, I have my ford dealer looking into it right now. This makes sense to me, since everytime it has happened it has been snowing/windy and cold. It also always seems to start once it the temp warms up a bit which also makes it even more of a reasonable explanation.

I should find out today, if they see this as an issue.

Eric

------------------
2001 XLT Off Road
Black, 5.4 extended cab
1990 Mustang LX 5.0

Old 12-29-2000, 03:24 PM
I just got off the phone with my Ford dealer and they said that it was indeed the solenoid. The called Ford and it is a known issue. Ford has done a TSB or something like that (whatever that is???) but no recall as of yet.

------------------
2001 XLT Off Road
Black, 5.4 extended cab
1990 Mustang LX 5.0

Old 12-29-2000, 07:11 PM
GIJoeCam,

It depends on the vehicle. Some will turn over, while some will do nothing at all.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/R's, 16x8 Center Line Hell Cats. Needs one more door.
http://hometown.aol.com/ninetyeightfword

Old 02-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Go to the forum section and click on engines and find the post by Mrford no crank no start this the fix for your problem