Clicks Before Turning Over

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicks Before Turning Over

I recently installed a new starter on my '92 F-150 w/302.After cranking a few times noticed that every now and again there is a click coming from under hood.Now this is not a bad connection on the baterry type click.It sounds like a starter sounds when it is not working properly.My old starter did this for several years before it expired.Does'nt do it all the time..just sometimes when you go to turn the engine over..it will click..and if you try the switch again it turns over fine...What Gives?..Thanks for any reply.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Check all the connections on your starter and make sure they look good and are tight. Check your battery connections and make sure they look good and are tight as well. Usually when you hear a “click” it means there is a bad, corroded or loose connection somewhere. Also could mean the battery is running low, but I would lean more towards a connection somewhere since you just installed a new starter.

When you installed you’re starter did you insure all the connections where nice and clean, not dirt, rust or corrosion. It does not take much to cause a bad connection. There is a lot of current that flows when you are starting the motor, just a little dirt, corrosion or loose connection will add a LOT of resistance and thus not have enough current flow to the starter.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Truck has done this since i bought it 4 yrs ago.All connections are tight.Battery is new.Sounds like a click from coming from under the hood..but not from the battery.Its more of a "deeper clunk" if you will.Then the engine turns over fine.Like i said it doesnt do it every time.Hooked up a load tester to it ...charging fine..battery fine.Just cant figure it.

Quick Reply: Clicks Before Turning Over