Windshield Wiper Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windshield Wiper Gremlin

The wipers in my '99 Lariat developed a mind of their own about two years ago. It used to be very infrequent, but lately the problem's getting worse.

They start by themselves - they'll sweep just once, or maybe several times. Sometimes for no apparent reason, but often after using the turn indicator lever, or just letting off the gas, or hitting the brake.

Turning the wipers all the way "on" and then "off" again seems to stop the problem - temporarily.

Whether or not the washer reservoir is full seems to make no difference, thought I once thought that it did.

Do wipers still utilize engine exhaust manifold pressure, like in the "old days"?

When I need the washers, they work fine. I did install my own trailer brake controller, but the problem started before then and didn't seem to aggravate the problem?

All tips appreciated!

-John

Old 06-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Sounds like your multi-function switch needs to be replaced.
Seen this alot, I mean ALOT!! I don't know the deal on the quality of this one particular part, but I believe that it could be alot better. 15 minute job.. piece of cake. If you need anymore help, let me know..

Good Luck!

FordMasterTech

Old 06-06-2003, 08:52 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
150RVer,
If you pry the tip off the end of the directional stalk with a small screwdriver, you can then remove the small nut and disassemble the directional electrics and clean them. The problem with mine was that when assembled, they must have used a poor quality conducting grease. When the grease gets spread across the contacts, it causes the Directional Signal Gremlin.
Clean all the old stuff out (very careful not to loose the check ball and small spring) and re-lube with a thin layer of non-conducting spark plug grease and reassemble. Mine has been fine for 4 years now after my own fix. This may not work for you but if it does (and I think it will), it will save you about $100 for the new directional signal stalk.
Let me know...

Old 06-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a very prevalent problem. I, too, have a mystery gremlin that resides in my wipers.

My problem is very similar, as I'll get the ghost wipe but, mine is more noticeable when the wipers are on delay. I basically have two delay settings from what I can tell... fast and slow. None of the multiple clicks that the stalk sports...

It's on my agenda for warranty replacement... along with about 3 or 4 other things...

RP

Old 06-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Talking Wiper Gremlin

WLF -

Great tip.

Inside the **** was a greasy mess, and the contacts were obviously fouled.

$1.69 worth of dialectric lube and careful cleaning seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for warning me about the springs,, etc. If this fix holds for a week, it should be good for years - there were no broken parts inside.

Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2003, 12:22 AM
WLF
My pleasure.
The only negative to this is you may have to push a little harder at times to activate the washers because of the dialectric lube. A small price to pay to get rid of the gremlins forever.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I want to bump this thread to thank the people who gave the advise on how to get rid of the gremlin. Just finished it tonight. I hate the little parts. Blech. Anyway, Got the front wipers and fluid to work right but the back wipers still don't work. I believe the motor may be bad. It clicks when it's supposed to go. I've pulled on it a little to make sure it's not stuck or something. I supposed I'll be taking the motor out. Are these things testable? Note: I don't know much about electrical components and testing so please be gentle. I may have to replace it.
Thanks again for the tutorial!
tbird

Old 05-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Windshield Wiper Gremlin

Just bought a '97 F-150. The previous owner, a good friend of mine, told me of the intermittant intermittant wipers...before I bought! Of course, on the "test" drive it was pouring down rain and everything worked perfectly, but on the way home.... So, I got on the web and found this wonderful site! Thanks to WLF (and the great pictures provided by another member) I'm back in business! I never would have thought to take the end of the stalk apart. Anyway, while I'm checking out my handy work the neighbor comes over to see what I'm up to. Lo' and behold his Exploder has the same problem! Not any more!

Now if I can just figure out where my rear window is leaking when I park on this hill I live on.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by tbird9768
I want to bump this thread to thank the people who gave the advise on how to get rid of the gremlin. Just finished it tonight. I hate the little parts. Blech. Anyway, Got the front wipers and fluid to work right but the back wipers still don't work. I believe the motor may be bad. It clicks when it's supposed to go. I've pulled on it a little to make sure it's not stuck or something. I supposed I'll be taking the motor out. Are these things testable? Note: I don't know much about electrical components and testing so please be gentle. I may have to replace it.
Thanks again for the tutorial!
tbird
On my 2002 Windstar van the back wiper would slow down and act funny...It had to be replaced by Ford...Seems they were use to this going as it was on warranty and they said no problem...I hope it don't go when the warranty runs out...ouch !

Yes thanks for all the good posts about this issue...If it hits me I will know what it is now...Mades this web site a great one for me to learn about my fords....

Old 05-31-2004, 04:19 AM
I bought my '97 F150 used in '99. During the test drive the wipers came on!

I thought I bumped somthing, the salesman just changed the subject. Anyway it has been a problem ever since. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. A few months later I did again and they told me they changed some "computer components" Under warranty of course.

The strange thing is when they come on they are going faster than the fastest speed! Also the wiper fluid will squirt, which I cannot get to work without jiggling the switch a few times.

Thanks for the help on this, THis forum is a great resource. I wish I would have found it BEFORE my engine blew from the gasket problems.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Re: Windshield Wiper Gremlin

Originally posted by aquahog2
...Thanks to WLF (and the great pictures provided by another member)...
What pictures? I'm having the same issue and want to fix it myself.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jay

Old 06-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Windshield Wiper Gremlins

JPinPA and anyone else who's interested, I found very good pictures on this fix @https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...errerid=58085. Now, if I wasn't just barely able to retrieve my email, there is probably an easier way to communicate this to you, but I'm clueless...though I was able to fix my wipers!:~)))

Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Interesting pix. I hadn't seen those.
After a month of no rain, my wife's still don't work every time. My guess is the alignment of the contacts aren't exactly right. And it does not have a screw under the cap... it has one of the stupid little spring washer thingies...???
At least the rear wipers work now.

Old 06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
WLF
Those are great pictures of the stalk. This fix can be completed without removing the stalk from the steering column. I fixed mine in place by just removing the end cap and cleaning. Just take care not to drop anything.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:01 PM
When my '99 Expedition was about a year old.. There was a recall for this issue.. Please check that out.. Could be the same issue.. Except I believe it was a fire issue back then...

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Gremlin