how do I add a connection to the fuse box

Old 03-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool how do I add a connection to the fuse box

I have a 1999 f-150 Supercab and have just installed a overhead shelf with console. The shelf is great. The console has a light with no switch and 2 power outlets.
I need to hook up to the fuse box or parallel an existing light. How hard is it to wire to the fuse box, do you have to take the whole dash panel out or does the fuse box come out with the 2 screws on the top of the panel? If I wanted to intersect the dome light wires, how do the wires run to get to the fuse box? I hope my rambling i'snt to confusing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jamski

Old 03-13-2003, 01:18 AM
go to the cargo light. black and light blue wire. if your overhead that should be a close location. cargo light on same cicuit as door lights. good luck

Old 03-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can get your headliner down, wino is right that is the easiest. If you have problems with it, let me know and I can look up the color codes for the wires behind the parking brake.

The option for the 2 power outlets are :
Either run an additional fuse block into the cab if you are adding lots of stuff later on. This would be a Fused connection with a relay that is activated when the key is on, so you cannot kill off the battery. It might be about 35.00 in parts to do this for 6 or 8 fuse positions.

The quick option is to use a add-a-fuse from some place like Napa :
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...2028-51118.jpg

This you would pull a fuse, put this in its place, and replace the fuse that you pulled in one position, and in the second position is the fuse for the lead with the butt connector on it. I forget which is which, but a meter would tell that part ( butt conector to one of the fuse blade points )
That is a down and dirty way of getting an additional fused circuit from the fuse panel. it is under the cover so no needing to pull the fuse panel out.

You can do 2 of these one for each power socket, so you would be good to go.
Run 2 wires up the A-Pillar to the shelf.
1 = ground
2= fused connection #1
3 = fused connection #2.

If you want some additional help on the additional fuse block option, let me know I can dig up a diagram later when I get back in, if you don't get it answered straight away.

Steve

Old 03-13-2003, 08:52 AM
SSculley

I forgot to mention the console is prewired with a 6-7 foot
whip and an inline fuse that you can install along the whip.
I will look into fishing the headliner or attaching to the wire behind the brake as you stated. I have already fished the wire down to the panel. The wiring diagram would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Jamski

Old 03-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two other things you might want to keep in mind. First, if you jumper into the Dome Light circuit, you want to size your fuse correctly so that your additional load doesn't keep blowing the existing fuse. Hint: A 40 amp fuse is not the answer. The other thing you want to keep in mind is that circuit is not tied into the ignition - it's always on. If you leave anything in your new console on when you leave the truck, you know what happens next. Otherwise, you're in good hands here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do I add a connection to the fuse box