Reset Seat belts?

Old 01-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset Seat belts?

Hi,

My airbags were deployed, and as a result my seat belts are locked. Is there a way to reset them temporarily till my work load lightens up so I can bring the truck in?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Shot in the dark

I'm not sure what you are implying. Is your seat belt all the way retracted and wont come out?

Sometimes my right side seat belt locks when it gets pulled all the way out and it doesn't retract due to the shoulder belt clip keeping it from retracting.

You might also reset your computer by disconnecting the negative battery clamp for 20 minutes wthen turn the headlights and ignition on to drain any residual energy out.

Heck I dunno. Maybe when the airbags are blown it does that and wont unlock till you get them replaced. Bummer.

Old 01-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Hapynzap,

What I meant was both seat belts remained in the same position as when the airbags went off. The driver's belt remains extended while the passenger's stays retracted. They are just absolutely locked in that position.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to see if resetting the computer will help. I did read somewhere that the airbag system was backed up, which means if true there's another power source somewhere.

t

Old 01-21-2003, 05:18 PM
The buckles have pre-tensioners built in. They tighten the belt when you get in a wreck.

One they "go off", you have to replace the buckle assembly.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Home Skillet,

That's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info.

t

Old 01-21-2003, 10:54 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The area where the belt bolts into the floor may have become distorted. If so it can cause the belt to remain locked. For your own safty have the belt replaced post haste.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Hey t5451.
Are you talking about the belt it self?

If so, there's a counter weight in the retractor assembly. When you get in a wreck it locks the belt so it won't pull out any further.

You can remove the retractor and release the counter weight.
Try that first.

Old 01-23-2003, 04:55 AM
Home Skillet,

If I'm getting you right, you're saying to release the counterweights to use the seat belts temporarily. To have them function the way they were intended the pretensioners would have to be replaced.

Is that correct?

Thanks for all your input.

t

Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
t5451,

The seat belt retractor, the one that the belt winds up into, has to be rotated backwards to release the tension. But because is attached to the floor you must unbolt it in order to do so. The shop manual recommends replacing the belt retractor after any collision. This is obviously a saftey precaution and a wise one at that.

From the manual; All safety belt assemblies including retractors, buckles, front seat belt buckle support assemblies (if equipped), shoulder belt height adjusters (if equipped), child safety seat tether attachments (if equipped), and attaching hardware should be inspected after any collision. All belt assemblies should be replaced unless a qualified technician finds the assemblies show no damage and operate properly. Belt assemblies not in use during a collision should also be inspected and replaced if either damage or improper operation is noted.

Regards

JMC

Old 01-23-2003, 10:27 PM
JMC,

thanks for the info. I'm going to take the retractors apart this weekend to see if I can release the tension.

t

Old 04-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Sorry

The Newer Ford Products have "explosive devices" that fire a pin into the gears of the retractor when the airbags go off. This is the silver round area on the side of the retractor with the wire going into it. Sorry to tell you that you HAVE to replace the seat belts, it is directly tied into the airbag system. You could put in aftermarket belts and use simulators on the SRS plug at the
seatbelt retractor. You CAN NOT roll the retractor back to fix this. In older models you could do that, but with new technology, it just won't work..
thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Trash can and replace.

When I took a front ender in my '01 in DEC-05, both seat belts were locked in place, also had airbags deploy ( both sides, even though I was solo ).

First hand experience on this one myself, they would not roll backwards, locked solid ( tried the pass side, as I could still suck it in, and get the driver's side on to take it to the shop ).

Maybe you will have better luck then myself, don't expect too much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reset Seat belts?