Lock Actuator Installation Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock Actuator Installation Help!

My dealer wanted $230 per side (including parts) to install new lock actuators. I purchased actuators online and tried to install them myself. Getting the inside door cover off was easy.
I worked for an hour trying to get the lock mechanism out! I removed the three screws to loosen it but that was as far as I could get. I thought about disconnecting all of the rods but couldn't figure out how to do so without breaking something.
Can someone please post the instructions for this procedure?

Old 01-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Locks

I too got lock motors from Ebay. Less than 15 bucks for 2.
Run window all the way up. Take door panel off.
1 Drill out the threaded fastener that has the nut device on the outside of the door. It holds the lock motor on.
2 Take the screw out of the bottom window channel bracket. This will make dealing with the wires easier.
3 Use the bulb that was in the door panel to see inside the door. You can use a flashlight.
4 Remove the wiring from the lock motor.
5 The actuator rod can be removed by twisting it out of the plastic grommet on the bell crank. You should look inside the door to see which is the best way to twist. Try not to give uncomplimentary and vulgar names to the Ford engineers who designed this and then the purchasing people who bought 25 cent lock motors to finish the job off. Low bid is Job 1.
6 Be careful not to pinch or misroute the wires when reassembling. Run the window to the bottom when you get everything assembled and look for interference.
Install door panel. I'm sure I left out something but that is the high points as I remember. It's been a while since I did mine.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Lock Actuator Installation Help!