Is straight pipes a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is straight pipes a good idea?

I have a 2013 f150 stx with the 5.0. I got the xpipe with 10 series flowmasters and K&N intake and I'm getting ready to get a tuner and Dino tuned. I hear straight pipe is the way to go (no cat no mufs) but then I hear that I need muffs for back pressure. I want to have my exhaust right before I spend the money for tuning. Have any of yall done this yet or have any useful info

Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 AM
Check out the exhaust guide. It should answer most, if not all your questions.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ust-guide.html

Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 PM
No cats, breaks all kind of emission laws about tampering, most states fail inspection for both missing emission device as well as mufflers, might as well put a neon sign on roof saying write me a ticket for excessive noise, downstream O2 sensors will turn on ses light,
tuning correctly will be problematic at the least, but other than that I dont see a problem.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Xpipes

I'm not worried about emissions I can take care of that. But performance wises what do you think is the best idea, truck is dropped. So I won't be towing. Looming for extreme power or nothing when it comes to the tune. On or off if that makes any sense to yall

Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Emissions is covered I got the hook up. But tuning wise what would be best? Why do people prefers the straight pipes over cats and muffs? I also hear I need muffs for back pressure but I know guys with the 5.0 with no muffs and the cars are very loud and extremely fast

Originally Posted by shopteach
No cats, breaks all kind of emission laws about tampering, most states fail inspection for both missing emission device as well as mufflers, might as well put a neon sign on roof saying write me a ticket for excessive noise, downstream O2 sensors will turn on ses light,
tuning correctly will be problematic at the least, but other than that I dont see a problem.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
so it's an off-road only vehicle?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you had stock was the best performing for your 5.0. Adding your chambered fartmasters actually hurt your low end. Now going full straight pipe no cats and no muffler will not only be illegal, will hinder your low end even more, and will be obnoxiously loud, poppy and sound like . Getting a dyno tune will indeed gain some performance,IF, they know how to tune f150s specifically. Also read the link already given to you. Back pressure is a myth. Your stock muffler was actually a better flowing straight thru design muffler than your flowmasters.

Last edited by Bluejay; 10-19-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Dual Fartmasters ^^^

It's yer truck, youngin' - go fer it.

BTW - no tunin' Keerections 'quired fer yer exhaust mods. They ain't gunna be makin' any extry paw'r, no-how, no-way.

Straights is gunna sound like coonayss, reckon. Perfect, eh?

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-20-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spellin' n'sich, aight ...
Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Rick lester
I have a 2013 f150 stx with the 5.0. I got the xpipe with 10 series flowmasters and K&N intake and I'm getting ready to get a tuner and Dino tuned. I hear straight pipe is the way to go (no cat no mufs) but then I hear that I need muffs for back pressure. I want to have my exhaust right before I spend the money for tuning. Have any of yall done this yet or have any useful info
Wellsir, if'n ye really do want it dun right, whut's wif all tha Fartmaster, straight pipes, 'n no cats tawk?

If'n ye want it done right, 'n ye wonts sound AND performance outta ye exhaust, start wif a set a long tyube headers (Stainless Works, et al). That'll really op'n up ol' Bessie a might.

If yer dead set on messin' wif tha cats (I woon't), MagnaFlow makes a right proper set'a high flows whut'll work nicely fer ye.

Downstream from that is all preference based on whut tickles ye yurs. IMHO, Fartmaster sucks, but MagnaFlow, Borla, and Solo all make dern fine pieces whut'll flow straight thru wiffout silly, grunt robbin' baffles 'n sich.

Gotsta pay to play, yungun! This setup'll run ye nearbys a couple grand, 'Murican. That don't count the custom tunin' ye'd be a-needin' after the long tyubes 'n high flows, aight?

Originally Posted by thelariat02
What you had stock was the best performing for your 5.0. Adding your chambered fartmasters actually hurt your low end. Now going full straight pipe no cats and no muffler will not only be illegal, will hinder your low end even more, and will be obnoxiously loud, poppy and sound like . Getting a dyno tune will indeed gain some performance,IF, they know how to tune f150s specifically. Also read the link already given to you. Back pressure is a myth. Your stock muffler was actually a better flowing straight thru design muffler than your flowmasters.
The Force has dun grow'd strawng in this'n!
Originally Posted by MGDfan

^^^ Dual Fartmasters ^^^

It's yer truck, youngin' - go fer it.

BTW - no tunin' Keerections 'quired fer yer exhaust mods. They ain't gunna be makin' any extry paw'r, no-how, no-way.

Straights is gunna sound like coonayss, reckon. Perfect, eh?
Whur'n'a HELL didje get a pitcher'a me 'n Cooter?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DewserB

The Force has dun grow'd strawng in this'n!
Betcher ayss! Wunder whur Larr'ye lern't awl thet goodsomeness frum?

Whur'n'a HELL didje get a pitcher'a me 'n Cooter?
Hell fahr ... thet be a fayncy stare-e-yo pitcher o' ol' Bubber taken wif me new hi-floot'n cam'ry! If'n ye sortee squnt'n sich a might, the image'll blend inty wun!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Betche he lern't it same place ah lern't a rite smart... Ol' Bubber!

Hell fahr ... thet be a fayncy stare-e-yo pitcher o' ol' Bubber taken wif me new hi-floot'n cam'ry! If'n ye sortee squnt'n sich a might, the image'll blend inty wun!

LMELHSAO!!! Funniest part is I had absolutely ZERO trouble reading and understanding all that!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learnt it from da best.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 PM
QUOTE=USAFJETMECHANIC;5109481]Check out the exhaust guide. It should answer most, if not all your questions.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ust-guide.html[/QUOTE]

Old 10-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Betche he lern't it same place ah lern't a rite smart... Ol' Bubber!

LMELHSAO!!! Funniest part is I had absolutely ZERO trouble reading and understanding all that!
MGDinese, wonder if there is a spanish version coming .

Quick Reply: Is straight pipes a good idea?