Calif. 91oct...Now Nevada & 91oct.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calif. 91oct...Now Nevada & 91oct.

Today, my local paper had article about gas.

Starting Nov 1, 01, refineries are cutting the octane of premium and mid-grade gasoline to nevada consumers.

Reasons cited by refiners include the cost of making hi-octane gas with ethanol.

Apparently MTBE(additive) will be banned from gas sometime in 02.

Not long ago Ca. dropped 92oct and went to 91.

For those useing Superchip in Ca. (elsewhere?) & 91oct. have you noticed any drop in performance/power etc?

Also curious, anyone useing Superchip/flip chip, one the #1 side, 87oct. have you tried 89oct? Any difference.

Thanks. OT

Old 10-31-2001, 06:07 PM
DB
I had a chip that had to be reburned - first tank of 91 and it pinged like crazy...

Old 11-01-2001, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been using Chevron and the same station where I fill up all the time changed the pump label from 92 down to 91. Is this because of the MTBE or the merge with Texaco?
Truck seems to run the same for now.

Old 11-04-2001, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

To date, not one of our many California customers here at Performance Products has needed any adjustments to their programs, as we have advised them on what pump premium gas to use. We do have 1 customer that we're waiting to hear back from, who did have some detonation in a Lightning that was being run on Exxon (no wonder!), who has changed over to Chevron as of a couple weeks ago, & we've heard nothing about any further detonation since. In California, Chevron is giving the best results overall, their energy content is a bit higher than even Texaco's, something we've seen happen only way out West there.

The "standard" Superchip for each computer code in these vehicles is tuned for a good quality 91 or higher octane pump premium gasoline, it always has been, which is why our customers are not having any problems, as long as they use good quality fuel.

We have had many customers in California using Superchips for many years now, since back when they had higher octane pump premiums, then over the years it dropped to 92 octane, and now finally it's at 91 octane in most locations in California. And every one of our customers using good quality fuel is not having a problem. Chevron is simply doing a better job in the Western coastal states, for whatever reason, and that's what counts.

One very important issue that I'd like to address is the issue of those using fuel additives, octane boosters. In a word, please, DON'T!

Sure, if you put enough of the "right" booster in, you'll get a higher octane, and you can make a bit more power like that if you wre previously getting detonation in a knock sensor-equipped vehicle. However, it's very expensive & you will also get pink to purple residue left on your spark plugs, shortening their service life, as well as your O2 sensors, shortening their service life. It leaves that residue on just about everything it touches, regardless of their "safe" disclaimers on the outside of the container. There isn't one octane booster we've ever seen that actually works that doesn't do this, so please, DO NOT USE OCTANE BOOSTERS except in an absolute emergency, when your only other choice is walking.

Last, the difference of the 1 point of octane from 92 to 91, even if it were tuned for specifically, is not going to make enough difference in power to be able to tell in the seat of your pants in a 2-ton+ pickup truck, unless they're running a supercharged application perhaps. The 3-4 horsepower difference is not going to be felt in a 2-ton+ vehicle, most chassis dyos aren't that accurate.

Old 11-04-2001, 11:58 PM
I have heard that Arco is the worst gas you can use. Is this true?

I have ONLY used Cheveron in my new SCREW.

Thanks.

Last edited by dcovell; 11-05-2001 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:23 PM
Hi decovell

Have used Arco. Not full time. ( Occasionally ) Both here in Nev. & Calif.

With superchip & 92 oct. Didnt seem to affect output of engine. If it did, i really couldnt tell....mpg ok.

Been useing mostly Chevron. No problems. Consistent mpg. Other areas when traveling i tried to stay with Chevron even when it was 91oct. ( Tank not empty..so had blend of 91/92oct)

How Arco will be here now, dont know. How Chevron will be here now, dont know. All our gas here is pumped over the Sierras from the refineries in Calif. Do we get the same foumulations as Ca. i dont know? I do know, no more 92oct, just 91.

Wife uses Arco-87oct. in her 98 Buick V6.....Gotten 30-32mpg...consistent on road, so seems to me Arco is ok. My old 88 F250 (no chip) 460 V8, ran great on Arco 87oct.

Arco is cheaper but harder to find when traveling. Chevron seems to be more available in western states.
Otherwise i might just run Arco full time....

Winter blend now here. oxygenated. I expect my mpg. & power to drop off a bit.

So, experiment, thats it. Good luck....OT

Old 11-06-2001, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dcovell,

Looks like OT was able to provide some input on his experience with Arco & other fuels, that's good feedback to get.

We really don't have much in the way of reports back to us on results with that particular brand, Arco, & we don't have it available to us here where we are. The little bit we've heard wasn't particularly good, but it doesn't seem to be "the worst" fuel.

One thing to remember is that fuels that work well in one part of the country may not deliver those same results in another. There are some brands you can virtually always do well with, like Texaco & Amoco. Chevron is doing a very good job in the Western parts of the US, many people are getting very good results with Chevron. I don't care for it here in the East as we've seen energy content seem to go up & down, but it's generally a clean fuel. It seems to be one of the better fuels in areas where you can only get 91 octane, like much of California, etc. In Southern California, Chevron is preferred over even our traditional favorite, Texaco.

Shell works well in the East, but not out West. Same with Citgo.

If you really want to identify the fuel(s) in your area with the highest energy contents, is to run 3-5 tanks of each brand & track mileage accurately. The fuel with the highest mileage under the same driving conditions is generally going to be the fuel with the higher energy content.

We advise not using Exxon & any off-brand or "no-name" fuels, due to lower energy content.

Ther are no hard & fast 100% absolutes, as there is much sharing of base fuel stocks, but we do see differences that can be identified, so do your own homework for your area & good luck!

Old 11-07-2001, 10:29 AM
DB
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi everyone,

To date, not one of our many California customers here at Performance Products has needed any adjustments to their programs, as we have advised them on what pump premium gas to use. We do have 1 customer that we're waiting to hear back from, who did have some detonation in a Lightning that was being run on Exxon (no wonder!), who has changed over to Chevron as of a couple weeks ago, & we've heard nothing about any further detonation since. In California, Chevron is giving the best results overall, their energy content is a bit higher than even Texaco's, something we've seen happen only way out West there.

The "standard" Superchip for each computer code in these vehicles is tuned for a good quality 91 or higher octane pump premium gasoline, it always has been, which is why our customers are not having any problems, as long as they use good quality fuel.

We have had many customers in California using Superchips for many years now, since back when they had higher octane pump premiums, then over the years it dropped to 92 octane, and now finally it's at 91 octane in most locations in California. And every one of our customers using good quality fuel is not having a problem. Chevron is simply doing a better job in the Western coastal states, for whatever reason, and that's what counts.

One very important issue that I'd like to address is the issue of those using fuel additives, octane boosters. In a word, please, DON'T!

Sure, if you put enough of the "right" booster in, you'll get a higher octane, and you can make a bit more power like that if you wre previously getting detonation in a knock sensor-equipped vehicle. However, it's very expensive & you will also get pink to purple residue left on your spark plugs, shortening their service life, as well as your O2 sensors, shortening their service life. It leaves that residue on just about everything it touches, regardless of their "safe" disclaimers on the outside of the container. There isn't one octane booster we've ever seen that actually works that doesn't do this, so please, DO NOT USE OCTANE BOOSTERS except in an absolute emergency, when your only other choice is walking.

Last, the difference of the 1 point of octane from 92 to 91, even if it were tuned for specifically, is not going to make enough difference in power to be able to tell in the seat of your pants in a 2-ton+ pickup truck, unless they're running a supercharged application perhaps. The 3-4 horsepower difference is not going to be felt in a 2-ton+ vehicle, most chassis dyos aren't that accurate.
To be more clear on the pinging issue that I mentioned above (sorry about taking so long to get back to this, as I haven't looked back at this forum for a while), my truck is a Lightning which had several performance add-on's in the mix, so it was already running on the ragged edge of lean, and the program was an old SuperChips program (R9) which I had reburned by JDM to compensate for the lower octane plus several other mods and everything's great now.

Still very pleased with SuperChips, I think the L's are a bit more finicky with gas than trucks without superchargers, as Mike mentioned above. Chevron and 76 seem to be working the best. Surprisingly I still ping with Texaco.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calif. 91oct...Now Nevada & 91oct.