Cali programs vs 49 state?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cali programs vs 49 state?

I've been doing some research as to which tuner I want to go with on my 8200. One question that's come up that I haven't found an answer to is this...does anyone know if there's any difference in tunes between California tuner programs and 49 state? I found a SuperChips Flashpaq for a good price, refurbished, and it's for California. That last part is what makes me hesitant about it because, you know, California. Lol. Does anyone have any experience with the Cali programs vs the normal ones?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It was my general understanding that any tune that is not from the manufacturer is illegal in Cali, with that being said, my guess is a cali specific tune is probably very near stock as to not get noticed during an inspection, so it would not be worth the trouble.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:12 AM
That's what I was thinking also. I have experience with tuners on bikes, but my experience with tuners on automotive applications is pretty limited.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 AM
So, I had a conversation with tech support at Edge about the differences between the Cali version of tuners like the EvoHT. As it turns out, the programming is the same as far as what parameters, etc., that the programs adjust. At least for my '08 anyways. I ended up going with a refurbished EvoHT instead of a DiabloSport due to price difference (about $75 less for the HT). For what I want to do, the EvoHT will be just fine. I'm just looking for a couple more mpgs and a little more pep in her, as well as adjusted shifting and speedometer adjustment for the tires. Off the line, it already has some decent get up and go due to the 4.10s, even though it's an 8,500lb truck. But, there's no such thing as too much power in my mind. 😉

Old 12-15-2018, 11:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You'll be happy with 4.10's.

I've got 4.10s on my truck with standard sized tires and it drives "normal" the way I would've preferred it to drive when I bought it.

All these damn econo junk small ratios, like 3.55s or 3.31s... can make a truck drive like molasses.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
I second that opinion...
had 3.55's ..probably pretty good with 26" tires.... but mine is 4x4 stock tires are ..about 31-32"....what an "almost" turd. (thats 1 step better than TURD) When I put the 36" on it, it was like a wet sponge....barely able to get over a speed bump ...with the super awesome 5.4.....wow what a turd! Took me a while before I could tear it down and put in the 4.56's. Now atleast i have enough gear to "drive" and unleash all 190 ponies...lol But YES what a difference gears makes on an UNDERPOWERED vehicle.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
In The Great State of California, there is an agency named California Air Resources Board. CARB issues an Executive Order Number for aftermarket automotive products. CARB EO # requires that manufacturer to submit the item to testing, in order to ensure that it does not turn the vehicle into a gross polluter. The politics behind it are murky at best. California has the strictest smog control laws of all 50 states.

For products which are California legal, vs products which are 49 States legal, means that you may not be able to pass a California Smog Test. For some products, the manufacturer may have decided that it's not economically feasible to pay for California testing & licensing, when they weigh the cost vs. return on investment. For other products, if the item were manufactured to California standards, then it would no longer offer the performance gains. Catalytic converters are an example of 50 States legal vs 49 States legal.

Handheld tuners allow the user to perform functions which may be illegal in California, and probably in a lot of different states. When you delete the DPF, EGR, DEF, & CAT, it's probably illegal in most states. Only California has a law written that such a device cannot be sold. As for the tune of the vehicle, no custom tune writer will write a tune, then submit it to CA for testing and licensing. That would turn your e-mail custom tune into a tune costing $XXX,XXX. A large company in the business of writing generic "canned" tunes, preloaded into an over-the-counter handheld tuner, will remove the illegal functions from the tuner, then obtain a CARB EO# for that tuner and it's preloaded tunes. Then you have a "California Legal" handheld device with preloaded "canned" tunes.

In my F-150, I am using a "custom" tune. Being lazy, I have never returned to stock. Never had a problem passing California Smog Test with the custom tune. So the tune itself, is not a problem. The problem comes from deleting the o2 sensors, EGR, and things like that. When the State's computer is hooked up to your truck, and can't find readings for sensors which you have deleted, you have a problem. The easiest thing to do, in any state, is return the truck to stock before your inspection. If you deleted your o2 sensors and removed the catalytic converters.......you will need to reinstall. I know people who do remove headers, reinstall factory exhaust systems, et cetera - for every inspection. Too much trouble for me. I'm so lazy that I just try to find shops who either don't know what they're doing or look the other way. Any competent inspector will see illegal aftermarket parts like an underdrive pulley, headers, straight pipe exhaust without CAT or mufflers, et cetera. But it's your truck to do what you want with. If you feel that you need to break your state's laws in order to be happy driving your truck, it's your choice.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are talking OEM level units as mandated by the Feds on recent cars, those would be 3 way catalytic converters. So a 2 way or 'high flow' unit (which are often 2 way) is not the same at all.

"49 State" hasn't been the correct term for more than a decade -- it generally means 'legal everywhere except California because California checks'. It doesn't mean that it is the same unit (it can be) or that it is even a Federally legal OEM replacement. It merely means that the mfr has not had the part certified in CA and wants you to take their word that it's all good everywhere else.

emi calculator gst login ifsc code

Last edited by slide9595; 10-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cali programs vs 49 state?