Tuner options for phaser lockouts

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner options for phaser lockouts

I am looking for programmer options for 2004 5.4 with cam phaser lockouts. I have a edge evo,but PHP said they dont do phaser lockout tunes. I don't want to use the livernois tuner...rather have something by a large company that will continue to be supported. I was looking at HP Tuners but looking for opinions.

P.s. please no "do it right,change the phaser" comments. It's up there in mileage, and I think new ones will still do it given my idle oil pressure

Old 10-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try 5 star or MPT? Phone call is cheap. Why not Livernois? Been around for 50+ years I think

Last edited by cheef; 10-09-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Waterford, ***** I'm just down in London! You are closer to Livernois than you realize

Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
None of the custom tuning houses are large companies.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or... Don't hack your cam phasers. To me, that's the equivalent of converting a new truck to a carburetor.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The other option is to:

1. replace the phasers with the latest-revision Motorcraft units (solid roll-pins). No front cover removal required
2. replace the VCT solenoids with the latest-revision Motorcraft units (reduces oil volume - ports are smaller)
3. use 5w-20 MC semi-synth and a good filter ( driver-side phaser is the last item to get oil pressure - need to ensure same is unimpeded so it's supplied quickly and is adequate)
4. DO NOT EVER use DORMAN crap for any valvetrain component replacement!
5. cross yer fingers

Caveat: the above only applies if the balance of the valvetrain is healthy, no oil screens are occluded, no engine sludge is present, etc. If that's not the case lockouts won't alleviate a future failure attributable to those. Failures like the ones described here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-problems.html

Dorman anyone?

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-10-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by saleen
I am looking for programmer options for 2004 5.4 with cam phaser lockouts. I have a edge evo,but PHP said they dont do phaser lockout tunes. I don't want to use the livernois tuner...rather have something by a large company that will continue to be supported. I was looking at HP Tuners but looking for opinions.

P.s. please no "do it right,change the phaser" comments. It's up there in mileage, and I think new ones will still do it given my idle oil pressure
Most any of the popular custom tuning applications should support this mod, one of our devices with a custom tune from a CMR tuner would take care of it.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
The other option is to:

1. replace the phasers with the latest-revision Motorcraft units (solid roll-pins). No front cover removal required
2. replace the VCT solenoids with the latest-revision Motorcraft units (reduces oil volume - ports are smaller)
3. use 5w-20 MC semi-synth and a good filter ( driver-side phaser is the last item to get oil pressure - need to ensure same is unimpeded so it's supplied quickly and is adequate)
4. DO NOT EVER use DORMAN crap for any valvetrain component replacement!
5. cross yer fingers

Caveat: the above only applies if the balance of the valvetrain is healthy, no oil screens are occluded, no engine sludge is present, etc. If that's not the case lockouts won't alleviate a future failure attributable to those. Failures like the ones described here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-problems.html

Dorman anyone?

Thanks for the input guys

1. I have the revised VCT solenoids...put them on two months ago. Zero change
2. I have my oil changes done at ford. Not semi,but don't think that is going to change anything.

3. I already have the lock out kit. I have read many posts on here of people changing the phasers,only to have the noise come back in a short period of time.

I have purchased the cloyes timing kit and plan to put that on at the same time. If I find that the chain tensioners have been leaking oil I may put it back together and see what it sounds like with the new timing kit. To give up a few horsepower at the top end to have a nice quite truck is well worth it to me. The 4.6 mustang didn't have phasers and was able to put out more power than our 5.4 engine. Brand new phasers in Canada will cost me about $600 and the noise may come back. The lockout was about $40 and a tune will be about $60-100. The noise is gone for good and it would leave my $450 to regain that 10-15hp i lost from the lockout if it was a concern. I am not sure why everyone is so emotionally attached to these things. :-)

Old 10-11-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cheef
Try 5 star or MPT? Phone call is cheap. Why not Livernois? Been around for 50+ years I think
Hey cheef...your not far at all. I don't have an issue with Livernois....it's their actual programmer. I assume it's their own brand so your stuck with them. I have a SCT X3 also I am interested in 5 star and MPT. What do you recommend? How would you rate each for tune quality and turn around time?

Thanks
Jay

Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Both tuner guys have been good for me. 5star was my first round of tuning which was great especially my 91 tow tune. I tried VMP and Justin and I just couldn't get things dialed in which is unfortunate because he is regarded as one of the best particularly in the Mustang world. MPT has been great, my best turn around times were with MPT and my favourite tune from MPT is the 93 race tune. It is by far the snappiest of all of my tunes (Expected) but also has the best shifting. Fast crisp shifts that waste no time which occur at appropriate times, but not harsh and neck snapping either (could ask for that if you need it).

Go back over my posts from approximately 2010-2013. I gave many in depth reviews of my tuning experience. MPT offers a discount to F150online members. Mike from 5star is a student of Mike from MPT, so you can't go wrong, call them and discuss your matters with them!

PS I switch tunes 4 or 5 times/year due to towing season/weather and have never had a problem. I've been tuned for 60,000 + km's.

Last edited by cheef; 10-11-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by cheef
Both tuner guys have been good for me. 5star was my first round of tuning which was great especially my 91 tow tune. I tried VMP and Justin and I just couldn't get things dialed in which is unfortunate because he is regarded as one of the best particularly in the Mustang world. MPT has been great, my best turn around times were with MPT and my favourite tune from MPT is the 93 race tune. It is by far the snappiest of all of my tunes (Expected) but also has the best shifting. Fast crisp shifts that waste no time which occur at appropriate times, but not harsh and neck snapping either (could ask for that if you need it).

Go back over my posts from approximately 2010-2013. I gave many in depth reviews of my tuning experience. MPT offers a discount to F150online members. Mike from 5star is a student of Mike from MPT, so you can't go wrong, call them and discuss your matters with them!

PS I switch tunes 4 or 5 times/year due to towing season/weather and have never had a problem. I've been tuned for 60,000 + km's.
Thanks cheef! Very helpful info. I am going to give MPT a call!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 PM
You won't regret it, best money I've spent on my truck.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:32 PM
I have been pricing all my parts and am at the question of using Comp cam limiters or the Livernois lock outs. The livernois comes with a tuner and the Comp limiter doesnt. I use my truck to pull a car trailer and I don't want to lose low end power. I have been researching for two weeks and can't figure out wich would be best! There isnt any comparisons between the two options that I can find on any site. Anyone have any ideas. 04 f150 with 99k miles. 5.4 3V.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Any luck on this? I want to lockout my phasers. I have the lockouts but I do not have a programmer yet?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by jspec
Any luck on this? I want to lockout my phasers. I have the lockouts but I do not have a programmer yet?
Where do you buy lockouts only (without the program)?

Quick Reply: Tuner options for phaser lockouts