Tuner options for phaser lockouts

Old 08-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhamilton
Where do you buy lockouts only (without the program)?
There is a ebay seller fastlane52 that sells the m for $40 ebay Item Id: 301704527200

Old 06-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigSmobyFo

Originally Posted by saleen
I am looking for programmer options for 2004 5.4 with cam phaser lockouts. I have a edge evo,but PHP said they dont do phaser lockout tunes. I don't want to use the livernois tuner...rather have something by a large company that will continue to be supported. I was looking at HP Tuners but looking for opinions.

P.s. please no "do it right,change the phaser" comments. It's up there in mileage, and I think new ones will still do it given my idle oil pressure
I here ya on the locks and tuning, but do yourself a favor brother and switch out that factory Ford crap oil pump because quite honestly it's the leading cause of all the phaser issues. Watch the Jasper site for what im saying. Melling makes a 340 pump that rocks and it's a cheap pick up to extend your trucks life. Think of it as a heart transplant. You'll thank me in the future.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Or... Don't hack your cam phasers. To me, that's the equivalent of converting a new truck to a carburetor.
What a strange thing to say.

For one, that's a huge, sweeping generalization.

For another, that's a crap comparison. Surely you're exaggerating for emphasis? Overstating is what that was.

Anyway, it's hardly a "hack."

As you SHOULD know, Ford’s primary reason for using cam phasers was to increase the engine’s efficiency by reducing its pumping losses during part throttle cruise conditions. Basically, when the cams are retarded 20-40 degrees during part throttle engine operation, it takes less power to turn the engine over. This not only helps to increase the engine’s fuel efficiency, but an additional power benefit is also realized. The variable cam phasers allow the camshafts to be adjusted to the proper position for maximum power during wide-open throttle operation regardless of the current engine rpm. This results in an engine that makes more torque and horsepower and extends the high rpm power-band by an additional 800-1000 rpm.

So the engine switches from higher-efficiency mode to max-power mode depending on conditions and driver input.

While that's nice, it's far from necessary.

The lockout kit locks the cam phaser into high-power mode, and the tune tells the ECM to run the engine that way all the time.

Easy peasy. You lose 1-2mpg, a few mph of top speed that were never being used anyway, and you gain low-end grunt.

Or you could be like you, and hand-wave all that away because you can't be bothered to learn new things.

I recommend you go buy a Chevy.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Or... Don't hack your cam phasers. To me, that's the equivalent of converting a new truck to a carburetor.
I agree. Just be sure to get the 07-08 motorcraft replacements and not some cheapies

Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkOverlord
What a strange thing to say.

For one, that's a huge, sweeping generalization.

For another, that's a crap comparison. Surely you're exaggerating for emphasis? Overstating is what that was.

Anyway, it's hardly a "hack."

As you SHOULD know, Ford’s primary reason for using cam phasers was to increase the engine’s efficiency by reducing its pumping losses during part throttle cruise conditions. Basically, when the cams are retarded 20-40 degrees during part throttle engine operation, it takes less power to turn the engine over. This not only helps to increase the engine’s fuel efficiency, but an additional power benefit is also realized. The variable cam phasers allow the camshafts to be adjusted to the proper position for maximum power during wide-open throttle operation regardless of the current engine rpm. This results in an engine that makes more torque and horsepower and extends the high rpm power-band by an additional 800-1000 rpm.

So the engine switches from higher-efficiency mode to max-power mode depending on conditions and driver input.

While that's nice, it's far from necessary.

The lockout kit locks the cam phaser into high-power mode, and the tune tells the ECM to run the engine that way all the time.

Easy peasy. You lose 1-2mpg, a few mph of top speed that were never being used anyway, and you gain low-end grunt.
An exaggeration for emphasis should've been obvious, but since it may not have been, yes – that's what it was. I enjoy learning new things and don't claim to have all the answers. However, there is one area of deafening silence on the topic which is the lack of any dyno charts showing exactly what the overall effect on power is. Perhaps there are some reliable dyno results floating out there now, but I just did a quick search and couldn't seem to find anything.

I have no doubt that phaser lockouts work. But without any published before and after dyno results, I can only assume the results aren't great. If they were, or at the very least could show some benefit other than being an alternate solution to replacing phasers, one would think that the manufacturers would be touting that they improve or at least do not drastically affect performance. If you happen to find some before and after dyno results from a reliable source, that compares apples to apples (working phasers vs lockout kit and a tune for 87 octane), I'd be interested to see.

Lastly, thanks for registering on this site just to reply to a comment I left almost six years ago. I'm flattered

Old 07-08-2020, 11:57 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
VCT was not only developed to help with performance, it also affects gas mileage and emissions. It did allow Ford to eliminate EGR.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 AM
Reprogramming pcm

if you just put the lockouts in, is that all you need to do? Or MUST it be reprogrammed? Can reuse the programmer on multiple trucks if you are required to program?

Old 07-16-2020, 02:04 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
It must be reprogrammed and the programmer will be locked to your VIN.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
An exaggeration for emphasis should've been obvious, but since it may not have been, yes – that's what it was. I enjoy learning new things and don't claim to have all the answers. However, there is one area of deafening silence on the topic which is the lack of any dyno charts showing exactly what the overall effect on power is. Perhaps there are some reliable dyno results floating out there now, but I just did a quick search and couldn't seem to find anything.

I have no doubt that phaser lockouts work. But without any published before and after dyno results, I can only assume the results aren't great. If they were, or at the very least could show some benefit other than being an alternate solution to replacing phasers, one would think that the manufacturers would be touting that they improve or at least do not drastically affect performance. If you happen to find some before and after dyno results from a reliable source, that compares apples to apples (working phasers vs lockout kit and a tune for 87 octane), I'd be interested to see.

Lastly, thanks for registering on this site just to reply to a comment I left almost six years ago. I'm flattered
There's dyno results for the cam.phazer lockouts using an SCT Tuner it's floating around here somewhere I just saw it this weekend

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuner options for phaser lockouts