Do I have a programmed truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have a programmed truck?

I drive a 2000 Ford Expedition. I bought an Edge Evolution CTS that works on every vehicle except mine. So my question is, if my truck already has a tune, would my CTS not be able to unlock the module? Because that seems to be what's happening. Everything on the CTS works with my truck except the tuning options.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
is it compatible with your truck?

is it unlocked?

even if your vehicle was tuned, the tuning device would see that as a "stock" tune and load the garbage canned "tune"...

Old 10-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
is it compatible with your truck?

is it unlocked?

even if your vehicle was tuned, the tuning device would see that as a "stock" tune and load the garbage canned "tune"...
Yes, it's compatible with my truck. Also, my truck is the same thing as an 03 supercrew except in SUV form. So why won't the darn thing work? It worked on the 03 supercrew. Yes, I put it back to stock before I pulled it off.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Most likely the HEX code or strategy code in your Expy's computer is not recognized by the tuner.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Most likely the HEX code or strategy code in your Expy's computer is not recognized by the tuner.
This sounds much more logical. When I try to put any tune on, I do the key off/key on sequence and after three tries it gives up and says "There was a problem connecting to the vehicle, if the problem persists, contact customer support" or something like that. I was considering going up to a stealership and getting it flashed to stock just to make sure. They wanted $98 to tell me if it has a tune and $98 to flash it back to stock. I just don't see why it won't work with mine if it works with an 03 supercrew F-150 and an 07 Yukon XL. So if what you're saying is accurate, what can I do?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I would call Edge and see what they say. See if your strategy is supposed to be included in that product.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by manlavi95
This sounds much more logical. When I try to put any tune on, I do the key off/key on sequence and after three tries it gives up and says "There was a problem connecting to the vehicle, if the problem persists, contact customer support" or something like that. I was considering going up to a stealership and getting it flashed to stock just to make sure. They wanted $98 to tell me if it has a tune and $98 to flash it back to stock. I just don't see why it won't work with mine if it works with an 03 supercrew F-150 and an 07 Yukon XL. So if what you're saying is accurate, what can I do?
^^ You already said it - "if the problem persists, contact (Edge) customer support".

Use the device to pull the HEX strategy code identification of yer PCM - they will need it. Also get the (4-character) box code from the PCM sticker.

MGD

Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^ You already said it - "if the problem persists, contact (Edge) customer support".

Use the device to pull the HEX strategy code identification of yer PCM - they will need it. Also get the (4-character) box code from the PCM sticker.

MGD
I actually did contact them, a month or so ago. They put me through the fusion process, and we found out that there was nothing wrong with the tuner, and they said to try it on other vehicles to see if the tuner itself worked on them. Worked fine. Maybe I should follow up tomorrow, tell them that the tuner works but not with my truck. Then I'll call up PHP and see if they'll still swap it out for the Livewire, they've got some good customer support.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I actually did contact them, a month or so ago. They put me through the fusion process, and we found out that there was nothing wrong with the tuner, and they said to try it on other vehicles to see if the tuner itself worked on them. Worked fine. Maybe I should follow up tomorrow, tell them that the tuner works but not with my truck. Then I'll call up PHP and see if they'll still swap it out for the Livewire, they've got some good customer support.
Follow MGD's advice. Give Edge your "Calibration Code", which you should be able to read on the CTS once it's plugged into your vehicle. If Edge has not included that code in the list of the ones your programmer supports, you've found your problem, and, they may be able to include it.

- Jack

Old 10-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Follow MGD's advice. Give Edge your "Calibration Code", which you should be able to read on the CTS once it's plugged into your vehicle. If Edge has not included that code in the list of the ones your programmer supports, you've found your problem, and, they may be able to include it.

- Jack
Will do, I'll follow up tomorrow

Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Will do, I'll follow up tomorrow
I called them up and they gave me three possible reasons.
1. The battery may not be charged enough
2. The ECM already has a chip (looked, there is a rubber cap) he said there might be one under the cap because the chips used to be so small.
3. The ECM just won't take a tune because "older models are harder to tune, some work, some don't."

So what is the next logical option? Buy a new ECM?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I called them up and they gave me three possible reasons.
1. The battery may not be charged enough
2. The ECM already has a chip (looked, there is a rubber cap) he said there might be one under the cap because the chips used to be so small.
3. The ECM just won't take a tune because "older models are harder to tune, some work, some don't."

So what is the next logical option? Buy a new ECM?
No, I would not buy an ECM. Of the options, #1 and #2 are maybe "possibles". We've already talked about the battery charge in another thread and I assume you tried programming with a charger attached? If that didn't work, MAYBE there is a chip under the rubber cap. My ECM does not have a cap, but I have a 2005 truck. I don't have any idea if a 2000 Expy can work with a chip or not, but if there is one, it would prevent the CTS from tuning it.

I'd look for a chip, and if you find it, remove it. Make sure the truck runs without it before you try tuning it again.

Beyond this, maybe Bill at PHP would have a better suggestion.

- Jack

Old 10-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
No, I would not buy an ECM. Of the options, #1 and #2 are maybe "possibles". We've already talked about the battery charge in another thread and I assume you tried programming with a charger attached? If that didn't work, MAYBE there is a chip under the rubber cap. My ECM does not have a cap, but I have a 2005 truck. I don't have any idea if a 2000 Expy can work with a chip or not, but if there is one, it would prevent the CTS from tuning it.

I'd look for a chip, and if you find it, remove it. Make sure the truck runs without it before you try tuning it again.

Beyond this, maybe Bill at PHP would have a better suggestion.

- Jack
I did try the charging option, but it's a 1A trickle charger, I'm not sure if it was enough. I'll check under the rubber cap, but I'm skeptical about if there was ever a chip made for this truck and the cap looks factory.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did try the charging option, but it's a 1A trickle charger, I'm not sure if it was enough. I'll check under the rubber cap, but I'm skeptical about if there was ever a chip made for this truck and the cap looks factory.
IF the battery is healthy, a 1-2A maintainer is more than adequate. Can/should be left connected while flashing along with ALL extraneous loads being OFF - stereo, lights, etc, etc.

The cap is factory - removal/replacement of same will still appear so. Only way to know for sure is to remove it. Mine did not have a factory seal - only way to know if one was ever used is the presence/absence of the conformal coating on the J3 PCB edge connector.

Personally, I doubt it - most every chip I've seen meant for the PCM J3 diag port requires the cap removed as the device extends outside the PCM.

Still-unanswered question - did Edge confirm your specfic 7-character HEX strategy code (that you provided them) IS in point of fact supported by the current software in yer programmer?

I concur with Sir Jack - time for the Big Guns - seek Bill's counsel. Edge seems disinterested, IMHO.

MGD

Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
IF the battery is healthy, a 1-2A maintainer is more than adequate. Can/should be left connected while flashing along with ALL extraneous loads being OFF - stereo, lights, etc, etc.

The cap is factory - removal/replacement of same will still appear so. Only way to know for sure is to remove it. Mine did not have a factory seal - only way to know if one was ever used is the presence/absence of the conformal coating on the J3 PCB edge connector.

Personally, I doubt it - most every chip I've seen meant for the PCM J3 diag port requires the cap removed as the device extends outside the PCM.

Still-unanswered question - did Edge confirm your specfic 7-character HEX strategy code (that you provided them) IS in point of fact supported by the current software in yer programmer?

I concur with Sir Jack - time for the Big Guns - seek Bill's counsel. Edge seems disinterested, IMHO.

MGD
Edge definitely seems disinterested. I told them about the hex code and they said "No, it couldn't be that" and abandoned the idea of it.

Quick Reply: Do I have a programmed truck?