Tuners and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuners and Warranty

Hello,

Can you tell me if using a tuner/programmer would void your warranty?

If I return my truck to a stock tune could the dealer tell that I had previously reprogrammed it? Does it leave any kind of footprint behind?

Thanks for your help

Old 09-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor
None of our devices will leave a trace of having been there.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks DiabloMike

Does your tuner have standard canned tunes and can I get custom tunes for it?

How does it compare to the SCT X4?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Yes, it comes preloaded with canned tunes, and supports custom tuning.

It has all the features you want from a tuner, like datalogging, trouble codes read/erase, end user adjustable parameters, and more.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by DiabloMike
None of our devices will leave a trace of having been there.

Thanks
An incomplete answer. Do your devices void the warranty?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by irishtom29
An incomplete answer. Do your devices void the warranty?
If there is no trace it had ever been used, how could it void the warranty?

The answer, is no.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:44 PM

The answer, is no.
Not to make enemies here but given that Ford has reportedly issued a TSB specific to denying warranty work for engine damage caused by tuners wouldn't the honest answer be more like:

" Yes, it will void your warranty, if you get caught using it. We think our device leaves no trace so you shouldn't get caught. "

Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 PM

The answer, is no.
An evasion. And IMO encouraging people to lie or withhold the truth is not an ethical way of doing business.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Diablo's version of reality.

OP - completelty read this blog from Stage 3 - it's refreshingly candid:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/Sta...-Warranty.html

Note the "lying through their teeth" statement

MGD

Old 10-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Welcome to Diablo's version of reality.

OP - completelty read this blog from Stage 3 - it's refreshingly candid:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/Sta...-Warranty.html

Note the "lying through their teeth" statement

MGD
Gee, imagine that, mr. ray of sunshine has some 3rd party theoretical proof to share.

Thanks, that was a good read.

Nothing against those guys, but they don't develop tuning products, we do.
If you want to call us liars, we can go down that road. I will ask, for the millionth time, where are all of our customers with voided warranties? We have literally 10's of 1000's of Ford customers in the field using our products, and no internet full of people with voided warranties. Thanks for sharing, but you are not fully informed or by any means qualified to say what our tools do or do not do to a PCM.

Have a good day.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
heaven forbid, anyone use a little common sense.

if i lift a truck and put 40" on it and the wheel bearings go out out the ring gear fail is this a warranty claim?

if i enter a burn out competion this weekend and blow the transmission, is this a warranty claim

i mean no offense to the tuner guys, but if I manufacture and sale a product and offer a warranty, if you change the settings or parameter of the product, then if it messes up, it is your problem, not mine. if i can prove it you pay, if i see no change and cant prove it, i lose my money for your actions and the price of the product goes up for everyone.

if you are asking a manufacture to admit that their product might create an issue and you expect them to put in writing that it might, you are dreaming.

i think everyone knows there is a potential risk, if you cant own that , then dont do it.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing, but you are not fully informed or by any means qualified to say what our tools do or do not do to a PCM.
Then you're qualified to state whether or not the use of your product voids the factory warranty. A simple yes or no question.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Then you're qualified to state whether or not the use of your product voids the factory warranty. A simple yes or no question.
If you go into a dealer with a blown engine and a tuner is setting on the dash or you happen to say, oh, BTW, I have a tune on the PCM, then you run a pretty high risk of the warranty being voided. What I think Mike is saying, if you don't share that info, then there is no reason for them to suspect a tuner caused the engine problem nor is there is it likely that the tune caused the problem in the first place. Just common sense, if they know it's tuned, Ford is going to use that as an out even though a reputable tune should not cause a problem. They are only going to warranty your truck as it came from the factory.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If you go into a dealer with a blown engine and a tuner is setting on the dash or you happen to say, oh, BTW, I have a tune on the PCM, then you run a pretty high risk of the warranty being voided. What I think Mike is saying, if you don't share that info, then there is no reason for them to suspect a tuner caused the engine problem nor is there is it likely that the tune caused the problem in the first place.
Knowing that a tune voids a warranty are we not under a moral obligation to share that information if we take the vehicle in for warranty work? Is a tuner implying that you withhold such information being unethical? Is a tuner making a selling point that his tune can't be detected encouraging us to be dishonest, and thus being dishonest himself?

If your child asked you if it's wrong to cheat someone would you answer it's only wrong if you're caught?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Knowing that a tune voids a warranty are we not under a moral obligation to share that information if we take the vehicle in for warranty work? Is a tuner implying that you withhold such information being unethical? Is a tuner making a selling point that his tune can't be detected encouraging us to be dishonest, and thus being dishonest himself?

If your child asked you if it's wrong to cheat someone would you answer it's only wrong if you're caught?
That is something a user will have to decide for himself. A tune can be written that will damage an engine or transmission, but if I have a tune from a reputable tuner and I have a transmission go out, I do not feel I have a responsibility to advise the dealer I have a tune. The transmission was going to fail, tune or no tune. I don't feel that is any more wrong than a dealer automatically denying warranty because it's tuned. They do that at some dealerships. I know, because the service writer at my dealer has told me that is what they are instructed to do.

With that in mind, I waited till my warranty was out before getting a tune, then put 100,000 miles on it with no problems.

It is not cheating if the tune did not cause the failure. Is it cheating if the dealer uses that as an escape not to support a claim?

Quick Reply: Tuners and Warranty