If you have a 04-08 edge evo please read. (need a pic)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a 04-08 edge evo please read. (need a pic)

I had my edge evolution unplugged over the winter and now it does not work. I opened the case and it looks like one of the surface mounts chips is missing. Is anyone willing to remove the 4 screws from the back and take a picture of the board for me? I will take a pic of my board also.

Thanks!

it looks like there used to be a resistor or capacitor where the green arrow points. I could be wrong,but the solder pads there looks like something had been soldered at one time.

Last edited by saleen; 08-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 AM

PM Sent

Old 08-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi saleen -

I had to chuckle when I read your post. What kind of gremlin would you have stealing into your Edge to swipe a component?

But, now that I've found mine, taken it apart and searched my rapidly deteriorating brain cells for "how to upload a picture", I have to say you MAY be infested with gremlins!

I've certainly got something mounted there, and the legend on the board says it's "C3", which tells me it's possibly a capacitor. It has a brown body with silver ends. I wonder if yours just fell off into the case? Did you look for it?

Edit: I notice there are a few differences between our units. The most obvious one is the IC above the ribbon cable. Mine's square and unlabeled, yours is rectangular with a white label attached. Maybe, they changed the circuitry and didn't need the C3 component in yours? I got mine in late 2007 as I recall; bought it on Ebay from someone who had it installed in his truck and didn't need it anymore.

- Jack

Name:  IMG_3920.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  51.6 KB

Last edited by JackandJanet; 08-01-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:32 PM

looks like Jack beat me to it.

I just emailed you a picture of my board too.

and here it is.

If you have a 04-08 edge evo please read. (need a pic)-of0hnel.jpg

Last edited by mrolgren; 08-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Global Moderator &

mrolgren - besides being better focused, your circuit board looks very different from saleen's or mine!

- Jack

Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
mrolgren - besides being better focused, your circuit board looks very different from saleen's or mine!

- Jack
I'm no expert on these, most of the info I've learned from reading your posts jack. I bought mine after you, but second hand. Must be a different generation or something.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Global Moderator &

I hardly qualify as an expert either, but from the label on your IC on the left, looks like it was manufactured Sept 2006.

What a hoot! I actually saved the receipt that was sent to the original buyer of mine and he sent it with the Edge to me when I bought it from him. He bought it from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers on 06/29/07. Now, I'm pretty sure I bought it from him in early 2008. I had it converted to a Gryphon in April 2008, but that did not involve any changes to the hardware, Bill just painted the case and updated the firmware.

- Jack

Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Hi saleen -

I had to chuckle when I read your post. What kind of gremlin would you have stealing into your Edge to swipe a component?

But, now that I've found mine, taken it apart and searched my rapidly deteriorating brain cells for "how to upload a picture", I have to say you MAY be infested with gremlins!

I've certainly got something mounted there, and the legend on the board says it's "C3", which tells me it's possibly a capacitor. It has a brown body with silver ends. I wonder if yours just fell off into the case? Did you look for it?

Edit: I notice there are a few differences between our units. The most obvious one is the IC above the ribbon cable. Mine's square and unlabeled, yours is rectangular with a white label attached. Maybe, they changed the circuitry and didn't need the C3 component in yours? I got mine in late 2007 as I recall; bought it on Ebay from someone who had it installed in his truck and didn't need it anymore.

- Jack

Thanks guys!!!

It was in my toolbox over the winter and when I hooked it up and I just got a green backlight. I heard a little rattle but didn't see anything when I opened it. It must have dropped out and I didn't see it. You guys are awesome!

Last edited by saleen; 08-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: If you have a 04-08 edge evo please read. (need a pic)