Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Chips, Tuners & Programming
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Chips, Tuners & Programming SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vashon Island, WA
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 236
Can anyone help with my "pinging " problem?

Hey All,

I have a 2010 5.4 with a custom SCT tune and have a strange pinging problem that I don't think is timing related.

I have bought tunes from VMP and 5 Star in approx 8 configurations and cannot get rid of the sound. They have tried retarding the timing etc... to no avail.

The pinging is most noticeable after the truck warms up and also in the lower RPM range like right after it shifts and I feather the gas a bit. I've also noticed that it is less noticeable at higher elevation.

It has been suggested to me that it could be a VCT solenoid problem. Below is a quote that I received from another member

"Well, I unplugged both VCT solenoids with the tune installed and the sound completed disappears. Test drove the truck with no sound- although it lacked power from the cams being stuck fully retarded. So I took a step further and swapped solenoids with a buddies truck and the problem was corrected.
The solenoids are pulse width from 0-100%, so most likely mine weren't operating at full Span, but not enough to set any engine codes but became more prevalent with the tuner."

What do you guys think? I'm thinking I should try to unplug the VCTs and see if it helps???? Does anyone know where they're located?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Jeff
__________________
2010 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 / Amp running boards / A.S. 2.5" spacer and rear 3" blocks / 20% Front tint / Rosen AV-7500 headrest dvd's / Full Metal Jacket spray in bedliner and wheel wells / Silverstars / Craven Speed shorty antenna / Interior V-LED's / 305.65.18 BFG's on MB Chaos rims +25 offset / Corsa SiSo Exhaust / Tuned with SCT by VMP..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM
MGDfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,604
Has either one of the tuners asked you to datalog, and include the VCT PIDs?

CAMDCR 16CF Commanded Duty Cycle for VCT Solenoid %
CAMERRR 16CE VCT Error in Crankshaft Degrees DEGREES
VCTA 16B1 b6 VCT Control Circuit Monitor ON/OFF
VCTENA 16B1 b5 Conditions Correct to Enable VCT YES/NO

If not, you should ask them if this is helpful.

FWIW - datalog review is included in the price of yer package with VMP.

Here's how: http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78

More info here: http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/

Here's the solenoid - one per side:

*EDIT* - this pitcher be HUGE, so I just linked to it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...T_solenoid.jpg

Another view:

Click the image to open in full size.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 29,090
Does the pinging go away if you use premium gas? What octane are your tunes?
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vashon Island, WA
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDfan View Post
Has either one of the tuners asked you to datalog, and include the VCT PIDs?

CAMDCR 16CF Commanded Duty Cycle for VCT Solenoid %
CAMERRR 16CE VCT Error in Crankshaft Degrees DEGREES
VCTA 16B1 b6 VCT Control Circuit Monitor ON/OFF
VCTENA 16B1 b5 Conditions Correct to Enable VCT YES/NO

If not, you should ask them if this is helpful.

FWIW - datalog review is included in the price of yer package with VMP.

Here's how: http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78

More info here: http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/

Here's the solenoid - one per side:

*EDIT* - this pitcher be HUGE, so I just linked to it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...T_solenoid.jpg

Another view:

Click the image to open in full size.

MGD
MGD,

I have not discussed doing data logging with either vender. It might be helpful for me and the vender to have this info for future diagnoses.

They do not look very hard to disconnect and test. Thank you for the pictures.

Does my theory about the solenoid being the problem make any sense to you?

-Jeff
__________________
2010 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 / Amp running boards / A.S. 2.5" spacer and rear 3" blocks / 20% Front tint / Rosen AV-7500 headrest dvd's / Full Metal Jacket spray in bedliner and wheel wells / Silverstars / Craven Speed shorty antenna / Interior V-LED's / 305.65.18 BFG's on MB Chaos rims +25 offset / Corsa SiSo Exhaust / Tuned with SCT by VMP..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vashon Island, WA
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Does the pinging go away if you use premium gas? What octane are your tunes?
I've tried about every combination of octane gas with a 87, 89 and 91 octane tune. I've tried running 91 octane with the 87 tune. Nothing works.

Both venders have tried numerous versions of the 87 tune and they all result in the same pinging sound.

-Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 89
Maybe a stupid question, does it do it with the factory tune ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
MGDfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
MGD,

I have not discussed doing data logging with either vender. It might be helpful for me and the vender to have this info for future diagnoses.

They do not look very hard to disconnect and test. Thank you for the pictures.

Does my theory about the solenoid being the problem make any sense to you?

-Jeff
Jeff;

Well, it sounds plausible - certainly, doing this will affect cylinder filling and pressures at the the rpms in question to a degree. Enough to be a factor, or a definitive indicator? I don't know.

Costs nothing to try, though.

I'd relay this info (and results) to the tuner for comment. Those PID's were just a suggestion on my part to offer a 'window' into what is going on VCT-wise with the tuning loaded.

Heck - you could even log these events yourself - both with the stock tune and custom, and compare the data. All you need is Livelink - and Excel, lol.

MGD
__________________


BlackSheepBubba
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vashon Island, WA
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufas View Post
Maybe a stupid question, does it do it with the factory tune ?
Not a dumb question at all. I can't really remember the symptoms when stock. I believe they were there at a very low level and the tunes made it more pronounced.

I'm going to unplug the vct's this weekend and test the theory.

I'm also going to return it to stock and see what that does.
__________________
2010 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 / Amp running boards / A.S. 2.5" spacer and rear 3" blocks / 20% Front tint / Rosen AV-7500 headrest dvd's / Full Metal Jacket spray in bedliner and wheel wells / Silverstars / Craven Speed shorty antenna / Interior V-LED's / 305.65.18 BFG's on MB Chaos rims +25 offset / Corsa SiSo Exhaust / Tuned with SCT by VMP..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vashon Island, WA
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 236
Update, unplugged both VCT's today and pinging sound went away completely.

Looks like I now need to replace them.

Does anyone have a part number for the solenoid and gasket and a suggestion on where to buy? Would TASCA carry a part like this or do I go to my dealer?

Thanks,

-Jeff
__________________
2010 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 / Amp running boards / A.S. 2.5" spacer and rear 3" blocks / 20% Front tint / Rosen AV-7500 headrest dvd's / Full Metal Jacket spray in bedliner and wheel wells / Silverstars / Craven Speed shorty antenna / Interior V-LED's / 305.65.18 BFG's on MB Chaos rims +25 offset / Corsa SiSo Exhaust / Tuned with SCT by VMP..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
MGDfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
Update, unplugged both VCT's today and pinging sound went away completely.

Looks like I now need to replace them.

Does anyone have a part number for the solenoid and gasket and a suggestion on where to buy? Would TASCA carry a part like this or do I go to my dealer?

Thanks,

-Jeff
Thanks for the update!

I have not looked - but check RockAuto, perhaps?

Tasca should have these as well ...

Good luck

MGD
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
i have a 2011 ford expedition and with a sct tune loaded, my engine seems to be making some sort of pinging noise, or atleast lifter noises,

i do not believe i had the problem with the stock tune or superchips tune, i run the 93 octane performance tune.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 29,090
Does it still ping if you run a lower octane tune or return it to stock?
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vashon Island, WA
Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayofsi View Post
i have a 2011 ford expedition and with a sct tune loaded, my engine seems to be making some sort of pinging noise, or atleast lifter noises,

i do not believe i had the problem with the stock tune or superchips tune, i run the 93 octane performance tune.
Try unplugging the vct solenoids and see if it goes away. Simple test to try.

-Jeff
__________________
2010 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 / Amp running boards / A.S. 2.5" spacer and rear 3" blocks / 20% Front tint / Rosen AV-7500 headrest dvd's / Full Metal Jacket spray in bedliner and wheel wells / Silverstars / Craven Speed shorty antenna / Interior V-LED's / 305.65.18 BFG's on MB Chaos rims +25 offset / Corsa SiSo Exhaust / Tuned with SCT by VMP..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: STL,MO
Vehicle: 2010 FORD F-150
Posts: 73
So what's the verdict with this cause I have the pinging noise as well. How hard is it to replace the solenoid?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: STL,MO
Vehicle: 2010 FORD F-150
Posts: 73
And no noise when in stock mode
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details