Whats this chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Whats this chip

I have a 06 150 5.4.reading about chips and tuners,stumbled on to 1 called autochipsdirect.com called the powerbox performance module.they claim 3-5-mpg and up to 20 hp. My question what is it,hows it work, is it worth it . There selling these for 59.99. Thanks in advance for any input and or advice

Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Those do nothing. Here's another thread about them.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...orce-chip.html

Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Junk......a resitor in a box.....fools the pcm of the maf reading.....worst case scenario it could pucker your motor......

Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hypertech Max Energy Programmer is great for a stock vehicle. The 2006 F150 5.4
picks up 16 HP & 28 TQ on 87 octane and 25 HP & 40 TQ on premium octane. The gas mileage is usually about 1 mpg gain. It will let you move your top speed limiter up or down. You can adjust shift points and rev limiter. You can firm up the shifts on the automatics. You can recalibrate your speedometer & odometer for larger tires or different gear ratios. The part number for the Max Energy programmer is 42003.
Any questions contact Gary at Hypertech

Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Thumbs up

thanks for your responses the hypertec makes since i'll look more into it. if the one i mentioned is such junk and does nothing ,why could they advertise on this site.you wouldthink with all the bad mouth of what these are,they would pull there add and head for the hills.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
thanks for your responses the hypertec makes since i'll look more into it. if the one i mentioned is such junk and does nothing ,why could they advertise on this site.you wouldthink with all the bad mouth of what these are,they would pull there add and head for the hills.
They do not advertise on this site, as far as I know. If you saw it as one of the popup ads at the top or side, those are google ads and no telling what you might see. We have no control over those.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's some of this forum's sponsers products.....

Diablo......diablo predator or trinity

Power Hungry Performance......Monochrome Gryphon, Edge CS/CTS

Troyer Performance.....SCT products.....like the xcal3 and SF3

Old 11-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I have a 06 150 5.4.reading about chips and tuners,stumbled on to 1 called autochipsdirect.com called the powerbox performance module.they claim 3-5-mpg and up to 20 hp. My question what is it,hows it work, is it worth it . There selling these for 59.99. Thanks in advance for any input and or advice

insert flame comment here...

next time feel free to use this: https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php

Old 11-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypertech Suppo
The Hypertech Max Energy Programmer is great for a stock vehicle. The 2006 F150 5.4
picks up 16 HP & 28 TQ on 87 octane and 25 HP & 40 TQ on premium octane. The gas mileage is usually about 1 mpg gain. It will let you move your top speed limiter up or down. You can adjust shift points and rev limiter. You can firm up the shifts on the automatics. You can recalibrate your speedometer & odometer for larger tires or different gear ratios. The part number for the Max Energy programmer is 42003.
Any questions contact Gary at Hypertech

gary, the hypertech is a canned tuning device and rip off when custom tuens are about the same cost and double the value

Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
your right the add was a pop up, your all getting me more confused,,one says hypertic is great for a stock truck the next its not and advises differant programers.jus to help ya understand,what i was contemplating is, my truck is bone stock 06 5.4 4x4 auto. i'm not planning a tire size or wheel change. i tow an occasional trailer, i have snowmobile trailer 2 machines, a 18 foot toy hauler,with two quads or the side x side. and a flatbed 18 foot car trailer with either the nova or chevelle onto an occasional show. i don't haul but maybe once a month. i'm just looking for a little more power and milage would be a plus.i know my old cars,if i want more power or better milage i'll bump the timing around do a little jet change ,short shift or run it out.can't do that in my truck. so hopefully that helps you all ,help me make an educated decision. the local shops or speed shops just want to sell there most expensive or what they have the most of in stock. there about as useful as **** on a bor hog.thanks in advance

Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
I would recommend a SCT or a Gryphon/Edge with custom tunes - a performance tune and a towing tune, both for 87 octane. Performance will be improved, but gas mileage is a crapshoot.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course you will always find negative things that happen to any and all tuners, and the same can be said in about every aspect of any product or service in the free world. I am in the middle of a bit of a personal "crisis" with my STC X3, but in all honesty, thus far Mike @5star, and even The folks @ STC themselves seem to be working quite diligently to get my trouble resolved in a timely matter. When the truck was locked down and un-driveable they were quick to try their very best and left me to feel I was at the top of the priority list to at least get mobile again. My trouble still sits somewhere in the STC engineering department for an engineer to find a permanent solution, but in all honesty, I'm not sure I could ask for any more.

Some who have the Gryphon will steer you in that direction. I cannot make any comment on their product as I have had zero experience with them. I can tell you though that 5star has been nothing short of awesome with help, info, and customer service after the fact. Even though I have had some trouble, I would still recommend them. Email mike @ 5star, and feel them out for yourself.

Quick Reply: Whats this chip