Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple Questions

First Question: I just got K&N CAI 57 series and magnaflow exhaust. I have been reading about how if you have a CAI system you need to get a programmer and tune your truck so that it wont run lean, which comes to my first question. What does it mean "your truck could run lean"?

Second question: I have also been reading that to take full advantage of my CAI i should get a programmer and tune my truck. What are the basics about a programmer that I should know? I see that a lot of people have the PHP Gryphon, is the only way to get a Gryphon programmer through the PHP website?

These questions probably seem a bit broad, but any advice would help.

Thanks!

Oh it's a 5.4L 3v engine, if that matters.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by steele711
First Question: I just got K&N CAI 57 series and magnaflow exhaust. I have been reading about how if you have a CAI system you need to get a programmer and tune your truck so that it wont run lean, which comes to my first question. What does it mean "your truck could run lean"?

Second question: I have also been reading that to take full advantage of my CAI i should get a programmer and tune my truck. What are the basics about a programmer that I should know? I see that a lot of people have the PHP Gryphon, is the only way to get a Gryphon programmer through the PHP website?

These questions probably seem a bit broad, but any advice would help.

Thanks!

Oh it's a 5.4L 3v engine, if that matters.

Couple/few answers.

From: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=2&pg=1

"We can tune for different cold air intakes on 05+ Mustangs and 04+ F150s. Any aftermarket intake that flows well and puts the slot-style MAF sensor into a larger less restrictive housing is going to REQUIRE a tune for the vehicle to run properly. Intakes that do not require a tune are often just as restrictive as stock and do not result in large power gains."

Despite popular belief, yer '07 is just as prone to the A/F (air/fuel ratio) - altering effects from an aftermarket CAI (WAI in yer case). Simply because most of these alter the MAF region/location, and hence alters the MAF Transfer function.

Use Advanced Search feature on this site for some self-help, and bone up on these terms: https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php. Vast amount of info related to yer questions already exists.

Here is but one of many, many such informative threads - read it through: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...fipk-edge.html

Yes. PHP is the one and only purveyor of the Gryphon.

A Gryphon, or any SCT product ( X3, Livewire ) custom-tuned by Troyer Performance, VMP, or PHP will serve you well.

Please read the stickies; Jack and the other folks spent an enormous amount of effort wrting them:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...unes-read.html

Finally - be advised that the ONLY method to determine if you have any lean tendencies is via direct measurement. And NO, the absence of a CEL is not a guarantee that you are home-free.....

Good luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 07-20-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor
steele711, check out the U7151 Predator or Trinity for your F150. The K&N tune for 87 octane will add a solid 25 rwhp/30 ft/lbs along with better throttle response, improved shifting, and even 1-2 MPG on the highway depending on driving style.

They come preloaded with tunes built specifically for the K&N CAI and allow you to alter tire size, gear ratio, shift points, rev and speed limiters, as well as WOT fuel and Spark settings, and more.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Please read the stickies; Jack and the other folks spent an enormous amount of effort wrting them:
I looked at that thread before i posted and i understand what a tune is and the difference in them, but in order to get a custom tune you have to contact PHP and have them write one for you? Am i understanding that correctly?

My main question is, am I going to screw my truck up since i have CAI and no programmer? I doubt i'm going to because there's no way companies could sell CAI systems if it was going to screw up you engine without a programer. And I don't drive under extreme conditions anyways, no towing of any sort, or any type of racing.

Or am I completely wrong?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
1st you'll have to figure out what programmer is going to be best for you and your needs.
So if you like to go the PHP route you'll have to order a programmer and custom tunes.
PHP sells the original Gryphon the CS+CTS.
Then you'll have figure out what tunes and what octane gas you'll be running.

2nd there is always the possibility of your truck running lean from a slot style MAF along with the use of a cai. This is because of the orientation compared to stock location is changed in the air flow.

3rd hope this helps?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by DiabloMike
steele711, check out the U7151 Predator or Trinity for your F150. The K&N tune for 87 octane will add a solid 25 rwhp/30 ft/lbs along with better throttle response, improved shifting, and even 1-2 MPG on the highway depending on driving style.

They come preloaded with tunes built specifically for the K&N CAI and allow you to alter tire size, gear ratio, shift points, rev and speed limiters, as well as WOT fuel and Spark settings, and more.

Let me know if you need any more info.
That's a good horsepower and torque increase..will the K&N tune also work for other brands of cold air intakes? How much horsepower/torque is added without the programmer from a cold air intake? I recently put one on mine and it seems a little better.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by chiaronate
That's a good horsepower and torque increase..will the K&N tune also work for other brands of cold air intakes? How much horsepower/torque is added without the programmer from a cold air intake? I recently put one on mine and it seems a little better.
We offer tunes for the K&N, Airaid/Roush, and JLT CAIs for the 5.4 3V.These tunes are built specifically for the CAI they represent.

The tunes alone add great power, to be honest, we did not see any big power gains from any of the tested CAIs like you would on the Mustangs. 20 rwhp is not out of the question on a bone stock truck.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok are mods like cold air intakes and mufflers close enough to stock that they don't make a difference with tuning? For example, if I just put on a cold air intake and muffler and I have a custom tune before that, would I get increased horsepower with a revised tune?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Ok are mods like cold air intakes and mufflers close enough to stock that they don't make a difference with tuning? For example, if I just put on a cold air intake and muffler and I have a custom tune before that, would I get increased horsepower with a revised tune?
Yeah, you'd find a bit of power from a CAI, but the tune HAS to be updated to match the flow characteristics of the new CAI.
Mufflers/cat backs tend to add little to no power in most cases.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I thought what would work for one cold air intake would work for most because the designs are similar..I actually have a Stack Racing cold air intake I recently put on, can I get a tune for that one? Which tuner do you recommend?

Last edited by chiaronate; 01-31-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: mispelled Stack
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought what would work for one cold air intake would work for most because the designs are similar..I actually have a Stock Racing cold air intake I recently put on, can I get a tune for that one? Which tuner do you recommend?
Each affects the MAF transfer function in differnet and unique ways. that's why Diablo and others either flow bench or dyno & datalog each one they wish to support and modify the tuning to match.

The one you mentioned is probably not already measured, hence it will need to be....

One point - you have a 2002 ( venturi housing + MAF) - these are typically less prone ( but not always immune) to the vast problems the 3V's have with intake changes ...

BTW - did you read this? https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...fipk-edge.html

MGD

Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor
I thought what would work for one cold air intake would work for most because the designs are similar..I actually have a Stock Racing cold air intake I recently put on, can I get a tune for that one? Which tuner do you recommend?
Yeah, as MGD noted, your 02 is not as sensitive to CAI changes as the OPs 3V, thus we dont offer any specific CAI tunes for the 99-03 trucks.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
This has been an excellent thread with bang-on advice! The pre-04 trucks are very different animals than the 04+ ones.

Notice Mike was VERY frank about what you can expect from a CAI - very little (and most of that is "problems" on a 04+ truck). Personally, I would not bother - try a "Gotts" style intake instead.

- Jack

Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Since I already have a CAI, what programmer would you recommend? I've been looking at the PHP Gryphon. And whats the difference in the Gryphon and the Edge?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by steele711
Since I already have a CAI, what programmer would you recommend? I've been looking at the PHP Gryphon. And whats the difference in the Gryphon and the Edge?
Difference between the edge and "original" Gryphon is the canned tunes are tweeked by Bill at PHP and also the Gryphon can accept custom tunes where the edge cannot. With this version the edge case is grey and the Gryphon case is black.

The edge CS and CTS are the same as the Gryphon CS and CTS models. Bill can write custom tunes for either of these for a fee.

Edge evolution

PHP Gryphon

The edge/Gryphon CS and CTS

Last edited by 88racing; 07-23-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Couple Questions