Hypertech max energy

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I have an update... I finally got my wife to plug in the programmer and try to download the tune... It didn't recongnize the truck. I guess it needs to be updated on the website now. So it's going to take some more persuasiveness on my part to get my wife (who is not very computer savy) to plug it in and download the newest software. I tried to get her to do it while I was talking to her on skype last night but she was being pissy and refused to get off her butt to go grab it from the truck. She's taking my oldest daughter to see George Strait tonight so I seriously doubt I'll get her to do it today either.
Will report more later... if there is anything to report.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know its a 7 year old thread but anyway, maybe someone will reply. I have an 04 F150 XLT 4.6L V8 SCAB 4x4, I picked up a Hypertech 42003 Max Energy Power Programmer on EBay for $50. That was the starting bid with free shipping and I got it as the only bidder (hmm? it was in an odd category and I searched for it by part #) as it was listed specifically as 'unmarried' and ready to tune I couldn't resist it. Well guess what? Vin lock, vehicle mismatch, error code 91, lol! The darn thing is complete down to the disk, box and plastic bags, in perfect condition, not a mark on it, just that one little issue Ha-Ha! Well I got my money back and was told to keep the unit, so as of 12/18/16 I have $0 in it and a complete, fully functional 42003, seems like a shame to let it sit unused. My truck does not show its age at all and has 108,XXX on the original engine and tranny, CAI, cat back dual FlowMaster 40 series exhaust opened up to 3", and a bunch of other stuff (NO TBS LOL!) and I have always wanted to tune it. Edge Gryphon, SCT X3, were my real ideal tuners for in truck & hand held but I just don't have $400++ to spend on one, even used or older versions go for more than I am comfortable spending. Hypertech's explanation of how their basic plan is to extract every molecule of energy from every drop of gas for better HP/Torque/MPG from regular or premium fuel has me caught up in the hype. So....$200 over the phone with tech support & the serial # will get me an unlocked download program AND extend the warranty to my truck as the original vehicle. From our email exchange *There is a $200 fee to reset a used Max Energy. This will also transfer the warranty to you and your vehicle. The update can be done via the internet using the supplied software and USB cable. Give our tech line a call to charge the fee and we'll set the unit up to be reset using the serial number off the back of the Programmer.* Jim @ Hypertech tech support, Tech line; 800-532-3351 or 901-382-8888. $200 I can do, custom tunes for a 13 year old truck seems like overkill not to mention the cost, I want MPG if possible, tire size reset, shift points and shift firmness, and any extra HP is a bonus and I have no intention of using anything but 87 octane. Everything on my truck from fluids and filters to plugs, belts and hoses are new or newer, I run a lot of electronics with an alternator upgrade, Optima yellow top, big 3 wiring and ground gauge, basically I do what needs to be done IMO. So show of hands, who would drop the $$$ for this unlock & warranty? If anyone even sees this lol!

Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I wouldn't bother.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I wouldn't bother.
Wow a reply lol! Thanks glc could you say why you wouldn't bother? I really appreciate anything that saves me $200!

Last edited by RP709; 12-19-2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling of member name
Old 12-19-2016, 10:37 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Their canned tunes are not very good. Save your money and when you can afford it, get a SCT and some custom tunes from one of the good tuning houses.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Agreed, I took the advice and sold it as is for $50. For some reason someone was really happy to get their hands on it even having been fully informed that it would cost $200 to be usable. All done, SCTX3 on the way, my Christmas gift to myself lol! Thanks again!!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
Anyone use the Hypertech Max Energy (42003) on the 09 or 10's yet? It's the same part number as the 04-08, I think just updated software. The website dyno claimed 35HP and 42 Ft-lbs gained on 87. Was wondering if anyone has tried it and noticed a significant difference in power/mileage.
I just bought one from the classified section for 250 bucks. I was going to hod out for the Edge but the price was right and the power gains claimed on the website sounded pretty good. There is also a video of a 2010 on the dyno on the website. I really liked seeing the results for myself. As I am not stateside right now, I'll have to ask my wife about any difference she feels or sees in mileage and report back later. At least she will have an un-biased opinion.
I use this on my early model 2012, I have the 3.5 TT.... K&N air filter....straight pipe exhaust 3.5 in(meaning no mufflers at all, and still unbelievable quite.. 20 in wheels.. ) I like this unit. I got what I expected and felt it was simple and nonintrusive, I work 7 days a week and do not have time to mess around for days..
mine claimes 87Hp and 101 TQ and it feels like it..

Old 06-02-2020, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
Anyone use the Hypertech Max Energy (42003) on the 09 or 10's yet? It's the same part number as the 04-08, I think just updated software. The website dyno claimed 35HP and 42 Ft-lbs gained on 87. Was wondering if anyone has tried it and noticed a significant difference in power/mileage.
I just bought one from the classified section for 250 bucks.Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin I was going to hod out for the Edge but the price was right and the power gains claimed on the website sounded pretty good. There is also a video of a 2010 on the dyno on the website. I really liked seeing the results for myself. As I am not stateside right now, I'll have to ask my wife about any difference she feels or sees in mileage and report back later. At least she will have an un-biased opinion.
I am going to go with custom tunes, but, for the price you paid.. You will be more then happy!

Last edited by aquilesgrace; 06-02-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Hypertech max energy