Unable to connect to OBD for state inspection

Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Unable to connect to OBD for state inspection

I just took my truck in for a state inspection and they told me that my OBD is not working and they cannot connect to it. I flashed the truck yesterday back to stock and drove almost 300 miles since doing so. I am running Troyer tunes from an Xcal 3.

How can I flash the truck and read codes, but they cannot even get the OBD to connect? This really frustrating. Thanks for any help you can give me.

JJ

PS - I am still getting the obligatory P1000 code if that makes any difference.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Go somewhere else. They may have a bad cable. If you can pull codes and flash the truck your port is working. Usually the cigarette lighter fuse blows and you can't do anything. P1000 is normal after flashing or disconnecting battery. It just means you haven't completed the obligatory OBD drive cycles yet.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
They might have rejected it because the P1000 code is making them think the OBD is not working, it is just a code which tells you that the computer doesn't have enough information yet to make a diagnosis.

I would complete enough drive cycles until the P1000 has cleared itself (not sure how long that is but you can check with your reader) and then try for inspection sticker again.

Nick

Old 07-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You MAY want to check your cigar lighter fuse. Unless I'm not remembering correctly, this fuse supplies power to the OBDII port, as well as the cigar lighter.

And, DO NOT flash the PCM back to stock - that just about guarantees an emissions check failure.

Edit: I just read your post more carefully, Norm! Sorry for duplicating you. Perhaps the fuse failed after the truck was returned to stock.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 07-03-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Noticed Norm's post!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
You MAY want to check your cigar lighter fuse. Unless I'm not remembering correctly, this fuse supplies power to the OBDII port, as well as the cigar lighter.

And, DO NOT flash the PCM back to stock - that just about guarantees an emissions check failure.

Edit: I just read your post more carefully, Norm! Sorry for duplicating you. Perhaps the fuse failed after the truck was returned to stock.

- Jack
Agreed!
The p1000 code is a red flag for those testers.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

- Jack
Hope this isn't threadjacking, but can you elaborate on why you shouldn't flash back to stock? If I were going in for an inspection next week, should I leave it on Level 1, and just unplug the tuner?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by WVxlt
Hope this isn't threadjacking, but can you elaborate on why you shouldn't flash back to stock? If I were going in for an inspection next week, should I leave it on Level 1, and just unplug the tuner?
Not a threadjack at all. The answer is YES! Simply unplug the programmer. (I'd remove it AND the cord so that the inspectors don't have anything to raise their eyebrows over).

Everyone (that I've read about) on these forums that has LEFT the tune in place for an emissions inspection has passed! Those that have returned the tune to "stock" have generally "failed".

Returning the tune to stock sets a "drive cycle" code that MAY take a while to clear. (There IS a procedure to clear the code faster, but you do not want to have to deal with it)! If this code is set, you will fail the emissions test - simply because the test "sees" any code as "bad".

So, in answer to your question, unplug and remove the programmer and the cord and leave the PCM programmed to Level 1.

- Jack

Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks JackandJanet. I'll sleep easier knowing that!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That ciggarete lighter fuse did that to me when I went for my inspecdtion after I bought my truck in February. He knw right away what it was... changed it for free

Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Hey I just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread, my '99 F150 had the same issue today at emissions inspection-- I took it to another testing place just to confirm it was me and not the diagnostics tool they plug you into. I will have a look at the fuse in question, does anyone know of a handy online reference for the fuse panel?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 PM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
It's in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download it.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenanc...ls/default.asp

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Awesome, thanks so much glc

Old 10-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I have same problem fuse is not blown flashed back to stock went to get inspection and there machine would not connect mechanic was helpful but still did not know why he even tried to hook up a scan tool and it wouldn't connect ether going to double check fuse but the gryphon will reflash and seems to connect

Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Global Moderator &

DO NOT change back to stock tune before an emissions check! Doing that will guarantee that you will not pass!

Please, this has been covered in the "Questions About Tunes" sticky and was talked about already in this thread.

Just unplug and remove your programmer if it's the kind that normally sits on your dash. Have the truck tested with the OBDII port "naked" and the programmer out of sight.

Breezy5000, reload your custom tune. Then, use it to check for any codes - you probably won't have any. (Loading a custom tune should remove the P1000 code.) Disconnect and hide your Gryphon and drive your truck to the emissions test station for a retest. I bet you will pass. Let us know.

- Jack

Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
having a programmer in the truck shouldnt have an effect on the truck passes the computer tests for state inspection. Either it passes or it doesnt. The computer emissions testing can't be tricked or altered by the inspector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unable to connect to OBD for state inspection