Unable to connect to OBD for state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by breezy5000
I have same problem fuse is not blown flashed back to stock went to get inspection and there machine would not connect mechanic was helpful but still did not know why he even tried to hook up a scan tool and it wouldn't connect ether going to double check fuse but the gryphon will reflash and seems to connect
You didn't read the stickys.........

Have you checked the actual obdii port connector pins?
Make sure they don't move and aren't loose.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
DO NOT change back to stock tune before an emissions check! Doing that will guarantee that you will not pass!

Please, this has been covered in the "Questions About Tunes" sticky and was talked about already in this thread.

Just unplug and remove your programmer if it's the kind that normally sits on your dash. Have the truck tested with the OBDII port "naked" and the programmer out of sight.

Breezy5000, reload your custom tune. Then, use it to check for any codes - you probably won't have any. (Loading a custom tune should remove the P1000 code.) Disconnect and hide your Gryphon and drive your truck to the emissions test station for a retest. I bet you will pass. Let us know.

- Jack

Jack

While I am not disputting the claim to NOT change back to stock I just so happen to do so last month when my inpsection was due and I must be a furtunate guy because I had no issues. Again just an fyi. I clearly got lucky on this inspection.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
having a programmer in the truck shouldnt have an effect on the truck passes the computer tests for state inspection. Either it passes or it doesnt. The computer emissions testing can't be tricked or altered by the inspector.
No argument, but someone posted once that an inspection station refused to do the inspection due to a programmer being plugged in. I don't know if the driver had any recourse at that station, so my advice is always to simply put the programmer out of sight. (It's not like it's major mechanical effort - takes all of 2 minutes.)

- Jack

Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Micheal
Jack

While I am not disputting the claim to NOT change back to stock I just so happen to do so last month when my inpsection was due and I must be a furtunate guy because I had no issues. Again just an fyi. I clearly got lucky on this inspection.
I think you WERE lucky. The P1000 code can last for a long time. When I "upgraded" from an older Gryphon to the new CTS, I deliberately left the tune in stock for a while. (I had to go back to stock of course before connecting the new CTS.) And, after 50 miles of driving in the city, with several starts and shutdowns, the code was still there. I finally got tired of it and programmed the PCM with the CTS and that got rid of the code.

I've read where people have tried to do the "drive-cycle" procedure to eliminate the code and it didn't work either.

- Jack

Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 AM
The drive cycle procedure is key. If you return it to stock you need to drive the vehicle enough to have information stored in the computer for the inspection computer to read. It was explained to me by the guy I go to for inspections. He said there are 7 parameters that are recorded in the pcm. You have to have information in at least 3 of them for the inspection computer to work. Information is recorded in areas like at idle, Highway speed, low rpm ,high rpm. and such. don't quote me on those they were just examples. I had to have a rejection sticker put on for a day because he had already scraped of my sticker before he found out there was no information in the sections needed . I took the truck around town and ran it up the highway a few exits and back before retuning the next day . Then everything was fine. Now I dont reset it to stock I just unplug the programmer and let them test it. no problems. Except window tint. Which I explain that I put it on after I left his station.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys i'm a state inspector and i have to do drive cycles all the time to get cars ready to pass emissions. here's a few things you should try to get your p1000 code to go away. steady cruise around 40mph on a highway feeder road for a couple minutes, then get on the highway doing NO FASTER THAN 65 (over 65 and it won't set as "ready") for about 10 minutes. do some stop and go traffic at various speeds. let it idle for at least 5 minutes. these should make all your readiness codes (except evap) ready to pass. you can pass emissions without the evap system testing ready (it takes a lot longer to ready itself), but all the rest have to be good.

Obviously, all this is if your problem is the P1000 code and you don't want to go back to your custom tunes to clear it.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM
hey, i just found a link with the drive cycle needed if anybody wants it.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

ps-fill up your gas tank first

Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
you can pass emissions without the evap system testing ready
Maybe in your state. Some states won't allow it.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by m_melen
hey guys i'm a state inspector and i have to do drive cycles all the time to get cars ready to pass emissions. here's a few things you should try to get your p1000 code to go away. steady cruise around 40mph on a highway feeder road for a couple minutes, then get on the highway doing NO FASTER THAN 65 (over 65 and it won't set as "ready") for about 10 minutes. do some stop and go traffic at various speeds. let it idle for at least 5 minutes. these should make all your readiness codes (except evap) ready to pass. you can pass emissions without the evap system testing ready (it takes a lot longer to ready itself), but all the rest have to be good.

Obviously, all this is if your problem is the P1000 code and you don't want to go back to your custom tunes to clear it.
When I load my custom tune the p1000 goes away......

Old 11-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
When I load my custom tune the p1000 goes away......
Yeah, thats why i said it was for ppl who dont want to get rid of the p1000 by putting the truck back onto the custom tunes.

And as for the evap status not needing to be ready, im not sure if thats the whole state of texas or just my county but my state machine passes them all day long

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 AM
glc
For example, in California not only won't it pass with a P1000, it has to pass a dyno run with a sniffer too. If I'm not mistaken, in Illinois a P1000 is a no-go, and they also test the gas cap for leakage.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
For reference:

Here in Pa, P1000 is "come back after a few drive cycles" for above stated reasons to get rid of the code and they check your gas cap for leaks with machine; all connected to machine that dials into the state of Pa. Dyno is for older non-OBD2's.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM
glc
Illinois used to allow a dyno run and sniffer if it failed OBD2, but no longer. Now only pre-OBD2 gets the dyno.

Illinois also only requires emission tests in the Chicago and St. Louis metro areas, it goes by county. Missouri only does emissions in the STL and KC areas.

Quick Reply: Unable to connect to OBD for state inspection