Troyer Performance - Stage 1 Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troyer Performance - Stage 1 Performance Package

I just ordered my Stage 1 Performance Package from TP. I'm starting this thread as a "play by play" to let y'all know how it goes. This will probably be most helpful to others thinking about ordering this package in the future.

Package Details:
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...o=Stage104354C

What is included:
  • SCT XCAL3 w/ custom tunes from Mike Troyer
  • Air Force 1 3.0" Air Intake (upgrade for small fee)
  • Magnaflow 3.0" SISO Cat Back Exhaust (part #16612)

Prior to ordering, I had several conversations with Crystal where I asked her all sorts of questions about intakes, Roush exhaust, SISO vs. SIDO, exhaust tips, lead times, etc. She was very helpful and if she didn't have the answer she would figure it out and call me back.

My Order:
8/11/08 - I ordered the TP Stage 1 Performance Package
I ordered from Crystal and 'upgraded' to the AF1 3.0" intake for a very reasonable price.

8/12/08 - I faxed in my Custom Tuning worksheets. These are basically a few pages of questions asking about the specifics of your truck and what you would like to get out of the tune. Very straight forward. It would be nice if you could do this online though as fax machines are not as readily available to me.

8/13/08 - The order was shipped and my account was charged the total amount. Shipping is included in the price. No tax (I'm in Texas, they are in Virginia). UPS is supposed to deliver the package on 8/19/08.

I'll keep you all posted and include pictures when possible. Hope this is helpful to someone...

Last edited by txag08; 08-15-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Suspended
I'm not sure if you know this or not but you do know that you will not be receiving your tunes with the programmer right? Just the canned tunes that come with the Xcal3 which will not work with an intake. I'd hate for you to mess something up.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. If I remember correctly, Cyrstal informed me that it would be around 8 weeks to receive my custom tunes. I know your buddy at VMP cranks them out a lot faster (I've done a little bit of reading on here) .

To be honest, I had planned on leaving the tuning stock until I had the custom tunes. That's part of why I ordered the 3.0" AF1 instead of the 3.5". I wanted to be able to install the intake with the stock tuning and not have to worry. (Or maybe worry less?)

Thank you for taking the time to give me a heads up though. It's very appreciated. I had no idea that the canned tunes couldn't handle a CAI!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Suspended
Well honestly, I'd wait it out until you get the custom tunes. Before I got custom tunes, I was running a S&B CAI, which flows just about as much as the AF1 3.0", and I was running extremely lean on factory tuning and pretty damn lean on the canned tunes of the Edge. So with that said, I'd definitely wait it out. The 3.0" tube definitely has less of a risk of causing a problem than the 3.5" but is it really worth it? In my opinion it's not, especially when you've got the tunes on order. I'd run the canned tunes and keep the factory intake on there until you got the custom tunes.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Noted. Thanks! Good point on not risking it. As antsy as I'll be, it's not worth the risk. Guess I'll have to be content with the exhaust upgrade for a while!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 AM
Suspended
No reason why to not run the canned tunes. It'll hold you off for the time being !! I forgot to say, congrats on the purchase. It's going to wake that truck up and make it fun to drive without a doubt !!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 AM
I know all trucks are different and no two respond the same, but I ran my 3" AF1 CAI on my truck the entire time I waited for my Troyer tunes and had no issues.

Congrats on the purchase and you're going to love the new truck.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Suspended
How would you know that you had a problem? I just said that my truck didn't throw a CEL. I didn't think there was a problem, either. That was until the truck was hooked up to the wideband on the dyno ...

Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
I know all trucks are different and no two respond the same, but I ran my 3" AF1 CAI on my truck the entire time I waited for my Troyer tunes and had no issues.

Congrats on the purchase and you're going to love the new truck.
Open loop ran lean. But it doesn't sound like you have a wideband installed so you wouldn't of known this.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 AM
I think there's another thread about this...
Basically, can you run lean (to the point of damaging your engine) w/ out throwing a CEL?

Not sure. I'm not going to risk it though.

On the Risk to Benefit scale, I think the risk out weights the benefit here.
I can certainly weight a couple months for a handful of extra HP if it means that I can have a peace of mind about my 5.4L.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
So this was about 1 1/2 years ago I ran my AF1 without any custom tuning and I still haven't thrown a CEL or any code. Should I expect there's a problem with my engine I'm not aware of at this point?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 AM
congrats on the upgrades...but be prepared to wait more than 8 weeks, I waited about 12 but I was in no real rush. just an FYI.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by wxscpo
So this was about 1 1/2 years ago I ran my AF1 without any custom tuning and I still haven't thrown a CEL or any code. Should I expect there's a problem with my engine I'm not aware of at this point?
Many intakes do cause a lean condition, Troyer tested the AF1 and said it was fine though for stock trucks. I am running mine without a tune and will be doing so till October.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
It's here...

8/19/08
Everything arrived on time. UPS got one of the boxes soaking wet. Thanks guys... Luckily it was the box with the exhaust and not the one with my Xcal 3.

8/20/08
Air Force One Performance – 3” Cold Air Intake
I decided to go ahead and install the AF1 CAI. I figure that I hadn't really heard of people having trouble with the 3" AF1, only the 3.5". BUT… the tube AF1 sent me had the air flow sensor mounting bracket welded in up-side-down. I know… I'll include a picture when I cover the details of the actual install... with the correct parts.

So... I called up Crystal at TP and let her know what the deal was. She gave me the number for Air Force One Performance and I called them. I talked to Everett and he asked me to e-mail him a couple pictures. I did and he is now mailing me a replacement tube. AF1 is paying for shipping both ways (as they should be). They did screw up, but they are at least fixing the problem efficiently. They were very easy to work with.

I’m now reconsidering. Perhaps I’ll just wait till the custom tune comes. Does anyone know if there would there be any difference in running the CAI with the stock tune as opposed to the canned tune on the SCT?

Last edited by txag08; 08-22-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 PM
The next step... Exhaust.

8/20/08

Magnaflow – 3” Cat-back SI/SO Exhaust (part# 16612)

After that fiasco, I installed the Magnaflow Exhaust.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=1551.

This is the kit that a bunch of people complained was setting their spare tires on fire. I had a good 2” of clearance between by tail pipe and the spare tire, so I don’t anticipate any problems there.

The install took my friend and I less than an hour, including a break. It was a very easy install and came out well. Even though my truck in a 2004, I still had to use the 18” pipe instead of the 24”. Mine must be a late 2004.

So how does it sound? Great! I couldn’t be happier with it. I know some people would like louder exhaust and would probably turn their nose up at a single in, single out. Well, they can do whatever they want to their truck! As for me, this is exactly what I was looking for. A little bit louder and a lot deeper.

When I’m accelerating, I can hear it give a nice low rumble. I was accelerating from a stoplight, and I thought I was hearing the truck next to me. Nope, that’s my Magnaflow.
When I’m not accelerating it’s just a touch louder than stock. With the A/C and music on, I have to really be listening to hear it.

I haven’t had the chance to drive outside of the city traffic to it’s hard to say what it has done as far performance or miles per gallon. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I will mess with the tuner soon (probably tomorrow) and let you guys know how that goes.

Last edited by txag08; 08-20-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Troyer Performance - Stage 1 Performance Package