P1000 code & Superchip1715

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1000 code & Superchip1715

I use a Superchip 1715 and lately the P1000 code never goes away. Last time I changed my tune I put over 1000 miles on before I changed it again and right before I change my tunes I always check for codes ... WHat can be causeing this?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fanuc,

This is perfectly normal, you will *always* get that P1000 code for a while any time you change tunes (including going back to stock) with any flash device - same thing happens if you just disconnect the battery.

This is Ford's doing, not the tuner causing the problem - that is, assuming you do not have something wrong with the vehicle itself that is causing that.

The P1000 code happens any time power is interrupted to the PCM as it is during a flash, or if you disconnect the batter - it simply says that the system has not yet passed it's basic readiness test - this does NOT affect driveability, power, the ability to start, or anything else, and it goes away on it's own. How long that takes varies from one vehicle to the next, can vary based on temperature, and sometimes even what fuel is used.

One thing to remember is that you need to keep maintenance up - the EGR tract needs to be cleaned every 50K miles, the O2 sensors need to be replaced every 30K miles, the MAF sensor needs to be cleaned using CRC's MAF Cleaner once a year, change spark plugs every 50K miles in Fords' 2 & 4 valve modular engines (30K miles in 3 valve mod motors) etc., otherwise the system does not work nearly as well as it should, and that too, can cause a longer time for P1000 to go away.

And virtually nobody replaces the 2 front O2 sensors as often as they should - no automaker lists them as maintenance items as they are an emissions part, and if they said to replace them before 80K miles, they would have to pay for it under emissions laws - but upstream O2 sensors are in fact basically a 30K mile maintenance item, and they affect many aspects of engine operation, from A/F ratios to idle quality to fuel mileage, power, emissions, C/L & O/L transitions, etc., etc.

The 2 rear (sometimes called downstream) O2 sensors that are after the cats do not need to be replaced unless they actually fail outright - but the 2 front (upstream) O2 sensors that are in the exhaust BEFORE the cats need to be replaced every 30K miles to keep the engine running well.

I hope that helps, & good luck!

Old 03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mike, I replaced thre O2's 10,000 ago I have 85,000 on the truck now and I am getting ready to replace the COP's and plugs with in the next month.

Quick Reply: P1000 code & Superchip1715