2002 5.4 F150 - Not Starting due to Chip/Computer - Reset?? any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 5.4 F150 - Not Starting due to Chip/Computer - Reset?? any ideas??

I have a 2002 Ford F150 5.4 V8, I went to uninstall my chip about a week ago and it gave me a "Error, Check Connection" I then tried it again (yes I did disable the fuel system both times) I got the same error, so I called Super Chips and they said to unplug the battery for 30 minutes, tried that.. nothing!

Guy told me I needed to take the truck in and have the Computer reset, the problem is my Theft light keeps flashing (will not turn off) Flashes very fast for about 45 seconds and then gets real slow. The truck turns over, but does not fire. I'm guessing the Anti Theft disabled my truck from starting? Anyway to reset my computer or the anti theft? I have tried all the battery tricks and the turning key tricks. Nothing seems to work and I really don't want to take my truck into the ford dealer and void my warranty

The truck worked fine until I went to uninstall, I moved my truck in the drive way, turned it off and went to uninstall my chip like 20 minutes later.

Thanks!!

Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Anyone? How do I go about resetting my computer or can I purchase something to reset my computer? I was looking at used computers and they seem to run $70 with a 1 year warranty. Worth it? or can I reset it myself cheaper or take the computer out and have a local dealer reset it?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all it would help if you explained what "chip" or tuning device you are using....Not just the name, but the number also...

Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Superchips - 1715 Max MicroTuner

Old 02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, "resetting" a PCM simply means to clear it - which is done by disconnecting the battery. Now some people mistakenly think of the term "resetting" a PCM as meaning to take it into the dealership and have them reflash it back to stock, and it would get flashed to whatever the latest revision available for that vehicle in the process - but technically, that is not "resetting" a PCM - "resetting" the PCM is simply "clearing" it - meaning disconnecting it from power for long enough to have all the capacitors & diodes inside the PCM lose all their stored residual current, and all adaptive strategy adjusmtens to be wiped out - in other words, the KAM (Keep-Alive Memory) fuly cleared.

Now how *I* do that is to first, making sure the keys are NOT in the ignition, and then disconnect the battery - then I will insert the keys, and turn the ignition on - nothing happens as the battery is disconnected, but turning on the ignition puts a big drain on the system - I also hit the brakes a few times, turn on the headlights, hit the horn a few times (say a few mahalas, whatever ), and then remove the keys from the ignition - then reconnect the battery and the PCM is cleared much more quickly. If you do not do that, then sometimes you need to leave the battery disconnected overnight to drain all the residual current stored in the caps, etc.

However, given the very cold weather over much of the country (and I didn't look to see where you are) this just very well may be a simple problem of you tried to flash the PCM when either the tuner OR the vehicle's PCM was at or below freezing temperatures, and you CANNOT do that - the documentation that comes with the Superchips tuner tells you not to do that.

If that is what you have done, then in a worst case scenario it is possible you may have fried the PCM and it needs replacement. Now it could also be that you may get lucky, and by having both the vehicle AND the tuner well above freezing temperatures, you can just clear the PCM and then attempt to reflash it again and have it work just fine, and that is the first thing I would try. Just always make sure that both the vehicle and the tuner are well above freezing temperatures, and that your keys are never in the ignition any time you disconnect or reconnect the battery, OK?

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2002 5.4 F150 - Not Starting due to Chip/Computer - Reset?? any ideas??