best bang on a limited budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best bang on a limited budget

i have a 97 4x4 4.6 I would like better gas milage HP is a benifit not priority mods are 40 series flowmaster kn cold air intake on order what is the best tuner and what can i expect to gain gpm and hp?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Don't do any mods just for the mileage increase. You'll never get your money back.

If you want sound. I have a Flowmaster 50 with SI/DO that I really like. Nice sound, but no drone at highway speeds.

I have an Airaid Jr setup for my 05 and it doesn't change much except a bit louder at WOT, and really cleans up the engine compartment. Looks much nicer than the stock intake.

The best bang for the buck is a tuner. I have the EDGE and like it. It has the guages that I like and it's fun to play with.

But if you want to concentrate on better mileage and horsepower alone, do a search of tuners and I think that a Troyer Tuned Xcal2 will probably do you best. But you will also find many happy customers of other tuners as well.

Just do the reading and make your own choice.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
You have to change air/fuel ratos to attain reasonable fuel milage changes. That's why tuners don't make any difference.

If you want better mileage, slow down 5 mph. Instant 1 or 2 mpg's. If you want better mileage, get rid of the truck and get a car. If you're worried about mileage, you probably don't need a truck.

Quick Reply: best bang on a limited budget