Can't Lose P1000

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Lose P1000

I have had a p1000 code since I loaded my Superchips 1715 about 3 weeks ago. I have driven ~400 miles since then and I still can't get rid of it! My state inspection (TX) expires this month, but I've read that I won't pass if there is a p1000 code becuase the pcm isn't ready to be tested. Is this a fault of my tuner? I don't have a way of knowing if I had the code before I got the tuner, but I assume I didn't, as the truck passed inspection fine last year. Should I wait it out a little more or return the tune back to stock to clear the code? I know everytime the pcm is reset it sets the code, but I'm starting to wonder if the factory tune would clear the code whereas the SCT tune won't? What can I do to get rid of this code and get my truck to pass inspection?

Old 07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P1000 - Monitor Checks Not Complete-More Driving Required

This code should go away by itself but you should be able to use your tuner to clear the code. Disconnecting the battery will set this code * all it means is that power has been interrupted to the PCM

Last edited by jpdadeo; 07-28-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That code is nothing to worry about... It will pass.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
P1000 - Monitor Checks Not Complete-More Driving Required

This code should go away by itself but you should be able to use your tuner to clear the code. Disconnecting the battery will set this code * all it means is that power has been interrupted to the PCM
Actually, I believe that you CANNOT clear the P1000 code with your tuner. That's the only code that you can't manually clear. It's supposed to clear itself after a few driving cycles...

But if it's been on for 3 weeks, that's way too long. Mine usually clears out within 2-3 days. If it were me, I'd put it back to stock tune until you get the state inspection done. Then go back to performance tune.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The term 'drive cycle' refers to a very specific set of driving conditions.
In normal use you may not satisfy all these conditions during any one drive use.
It becomes a random event unless you do the cycle drive as perscribed.
Without typeing the whole event, it basisly starts with a cold engine and coolant/air temps within 11° of each other and procceds to driving speed runs and slowdowns/stops for different speeds and times.
Your chances of satifying all these in a shortened time frame is small unless you do the drive cycle as a perscription action.
Do a search for the drive cycle to see what the needs are.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
The P1000 is the one code that can't be cleared, and everytime you try, you actually reset the pcm and it will take even longer to clear. I'm hesitant to switch back to the stock tune as well, because it will cause the same delay. Also, I shouldn't have to use the stock tune. The tuner shouldn't cause the P1000, but does it really? I don't know the specific drive cycle, but shouldn't I have met all the requirements after several weeks of driving?

Some folks say that a P1000 will fail inspection, and others say it won't. Does anyone know what the rules are for TX?

Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Instructions to clear P1000

Brian, want to read how Ford suggests clearing the P1000?

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Good luck, buddy.

BTW, it's not just the tuner, diconnecting the battery will give it to ya too.

Don't sweat it. Just get in your truck and drive.

Joey

Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Brian,

This may be way out there, but I also was getting the p1000 code on my Troyer custom tuned 03 Explorer with the 4.6. Long story short - It was caused by a faulty DPFE sensor. This was replaced for free by Ford. This may or may not be your problem. The code MAY have absolutely nothing to do with tuning. In my case there were no other 'hard' codes generated.

Then, my scenario may have nothing to do with yours.

Good Luck,

enb

Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.
This may be part of the problem right there... I think most of us with tuners don't drive with a particularly "steady foot".

Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I had the truck inspected today, and it passed. According to the printout, the only monitor not ready was the "evap" system. I did Ford's drive cycle last night but the code is still there. I'm glad I passed inspection but I'd still like to get rid of the code. What is the "evap" monitor and why won't it check out?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
I had the truck inspected today, and it passed. According to the printout, the only monitor not ready was the "evap" system. I did Ford's drive cycle last night but the code is still there. I'm glad I passed inspection but I'd still like to get rid of the code. What is the "evap" monitor and why won't it check out?
Evaporative emissions. Can be the charcoal canister or, more often than not, I believe a loose gas cap will cause this.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Brian, the Evap monitor system testing is discribed in 9 pages of info.
It is complicated and not easy to do on a controlled basis.
Refer to the Motorcraft site and down load the info for you model year.

Quick Reply: Can't Lose P1000