Pro Racer Software Is In

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pro Racer Software Is In

On Thursday, I received my Pro Racer Software, received the license keys on Friday, and have begun working with it over the weekend. Very cool. Now.... I see why Mike Troyer is so so so insistent that we datalog. I spent nearly an entire day setting up tunes, researching, testing, and logging. Over an over again. I am almost back at WOT where I was with the Troyer XCAL2 tune. I am up to about 395 ft/lb @5250 RPM into the torque converter as compared to 414 @5250 RPM with Mike's tune. The difference is I am still running a little lean at WOT. I am sure; however, that he has this down to a science while I am just learning. Fortunately I had some logs for comparison from Mike's tune. Tomorrow, I hope to nail this down.

What I have not yet duplicated and hope I do not is the 0 to 40 issues I experienced in the past. You may recall, I was very very pleased with the WOT response; but, not very happy at all while trying to manage my truck. My attempts to keep the truck at 65 MPH were routinely greeted with either 2000 or 3000 RPM surges. Very annoying. This is completely gone. My truck now feels lighter off the line and accelerates much better from a standstill under part throttle.

Next up I will be setting up a program to run E85 Ethanol. Not 90% Gas 10% Ethanol; but, 85% Ethanol, 15% Gas. 105 Octane. If I get this right, I ought to be able to make more horsepower and equal my current fuel economy. That is if I can keep my foot out of it.

Last thing. Please don't ask me for 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. I have no interest in that data. Maybe, next spring, after I add the Whipple, I might think about it. For now, I react based upon data from the logging and seat of the pants feel.

Life is good.

Last edited by tschaid; 06-10-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tschaid;
Thanks for posting!I have a couple of questions,first off what did you change in your fuel system eg.tank,pump,lines,filter?
2nd.,is the tuner you are using an xcal2?If not which tuner?
3rd., are you going to tune others after you complete yours @E85?
4th.,do you think that the v6 4.2 could also be tuned using your strategies?
Very interested in the E85 switchover,there are a few places offering E85 and they are putting up a refinery 20 miles from me later this year which is slated to start operation in late 2007.Thanks again Tom
I went to the SCT site and I hope you are using the xcal2 software,I can not stress that I am very interested in your findings and I am willing to install a LM1 in my truck to watch my A/F ratio.I would like to commit to E85 and maybe 100% alcohol in the future.
this is my e-mail address if you would like to change to this format. tdan@mchsi.com

Last edited by TSDan; 06-11-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by tschaid
I am up to about 395 ft/lb @5250 RPM into the torque converter as compared to 414 @5250 RPM with Mike's tune.

Are those numbers right? You mentioned getting a whipple next year, do you have a blower now to get those numbers?

Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by TSDan
First off what did you change in your fuel system eg.tank,pump,lines,filter?
2nd.,is the tuner you are using an xcal2?If not which tuner?
3rd., are you going to tune others after you complete yours @E85?
4th.,do you think that the v6 4.2 could also be tuned using your strategies?

I went to the SCT site and I hope you are using the xcal2 software,I can not stress that I am very interested in your findings and I am willing to install a LM1 in my truck to watch my A/F ratio.I would like to commit to E85 and maybe 100% alcohol in the future.
TSdan,

I made no changes to the mechanicals in the truck except I changed to an acid neutralizing oil and better oil filter. I also will be changing my fuel filter again after the next tank - (500-600) miles. Now. Why would anybody be so foolish as to make no changes ? Hmm. Two answers to this question. The first is Ford makes no changes to any of these items between the Gas & FFV models. 2nd answer is yes. Ford could be betting that the number of people utilizing E85 will be relatively small so they rolled the dice. This is Mike's theory; but, I don't buy it. I have not found one component in our fuel systems that reacts poorly based upon the research of chemical compositions done by the Ethanol people. I could be wrong in believing; but, changing out fuel lines, fuel tanks, fuel pumps, and/or fuel injectors in our trucks is not real difficult. So if this experiment goes badly, I will live and learn. I; however, doubt 50,000 miles from now I will have any issues.

The SCT Pro Racer Software works only with an SCT Tuners, the XCAL2 is one of them. It is a mini version of the software Mike uses to tune multiple tuners. The Pro Racer software; however, can only be utilized for a single vehicle. As for tuning others, I would have to become an SCT Dealer and I don't know if I want to go through what Mike goes through on a day in and day out basis. I do; however, have a good friend who is an SCT Dealer. He will likely be very interested. Lastly, I have little doubt that the 4.2 could be tuned.

Another question was asked whether I have a blower on my truck. I do not. The torque numbers into the torque converter are reported straight from the Livelink Datalogging Software. I also see similar data when I utilize my Autoenguity Datalogging Software. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in this data; though, since this is before we experience the significant loss from our very long drive shafts, as well as, 35" tires etc. I am using this net torque into the converter only as one of many reference points. When I think I am close, I will put the truck on a Dyno to see what the real numbers are.... At the rear wheels.

Last edited by tschaid; 06-12-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:57 AM
OK. I am getting the truck tuned pretty good. I have tried to connect with others; but, to date am not getting a good response.
Tuning for E85 or even E10 is tricky. My hat is off to Mike Troyer.

But for E85.... For example: Max Power Rich with Gas is .82-.85 Lambda or 12.0-12.5 parts air to 1 part fuel. However, Max Power rich with Ethanol is .7143 Lambda or 6.975 parts of air to 1 part of fuel. So... My initial thoughts were to leave the base fuel table alone and simply reduce the value my truck's PCM utilizes for stoichiometric combustion. So, I did some calculations and arrived at 9.8 parts of E85 Ethanol to 1 part of fuel. The result was my truck tended to run a little rich. I have a wideband O2 sensor and can quickly see the results of air/fuel on my monitor. I then increased the stoichiometric value in my trucks PCM to 10.8. Now, the wideband consistently reports 1.00 +/- .01 under normal driving. Hmm. This is 10% leaner than the calculations I have seen. Current MPG is sitting around 10.5 as compared to 12.5 with E10. Back to max power rich. Who needs it ? Another value to consider is max power lean and I am within the calculated range between Max Power Rich and Max Power Lean so I am leaving the base fuel table alone for now. I am making real good power under WOT. Tomorrow, I am going to do some more WOT data logging to see how my performance compares to Mike Troyer's 93 Hi-Perf Tune.

Another change I made was to advance spark 18% across the band. This could be very dangerous in gasoline burning engines because gasoline characteristics allow for pre or post detonation. With Ethanol (very high octane), we don't have that concern. Starting the flame spread early is a key to achieve an effective and complete burn.

Next Steps:
I am looking into purchasing an Exhaust Gas Temp probe. Mike made this recommendation a couple of weeks ago. Too high an EGT and you are running too lean. Too low and you are running rich. Because alcohol burns cooler than gasoline, it is entirely possible that I can lean the mixture to say 1.1 or 1.2 Lambda achieving better fuel economy while holding on to the power I am making. I would rather have multiple guages telling me the story of my engine's health.

When I have achieve the most efficient and fuel economical burn possible, I am then going to take my truck to a local shop with emissions testing equipment. With gasoline, too lean results in a very nasty combination of chemicals emitted into the atmosphere. While I have read that ethanol is far more environment friendly, I need verification. I want to help the environment not continue to hurt it .

Spark Plug heat range is something else I am going to be looking at.

I have asked Mike via e-mail to assit me with Trans shifting; but, I do not know if he will help. He is so busy helping so many others achieve better performance with their vehicles, it is hard to get his time. And, the man works 7 days a week to assist his customers. So, if he decides to help that would be great. If he does not, I respect that as well. He has already provided myself and many others a tremendous service.

Last edited by tschaid; 06-16-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Tschaid,
Please keep us updated on your progress. I am very interested in all of the processes involved in tuning these trucks.

You seem to know your stuff when it comes to tuning, are you an engineer, did you take some special classes, or do you have other qualifications?

Do you have a list of everything you have bought for proper datalogging such as sensors and gauges and their approximate price?

Thank you for all of the info you can provide!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I am learning. Am I an engineer? Yes, so to speak; but, not mechanical. I wish I had this background.

Yes. I have a list and am adding to it. I am currently looking for a Pyrometer (Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge). Auto Meter looks best; but, my son & I are struggling to find a place to put it without messing up the look of the interior of the Lariat.

To date, I have purchased the Autoenguity Software (Not the best. I am looking into Raptor). I use Livelink (free from SCT if you have a XCAL2) a lot. I have installed a LM-1 wideband in bank2. Then, when I think I am getting the tune pretty close, I schedule a dyno for verification. Of course, I then utilize the web and anybody else who cares to share their thoughts with me. I have a good friend who is a Ford Master Tech who is very interested in seeing what these trucks will really stand. Finally, I allocate a good bit of cash to the project. This is an expensive hobby. I'll post more later with approximate costs.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:07 PM
SCT should be able to provide you with a base tranny tune. I would contact them directly or go to the sctflash forum and poke around there.
Check out the moss motors for a gauge pod. They may have a pillar mount. Saleen has a mount in the top dash tray. Good luck in your endeavors!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't know much about gauges for the '04s and up, but for the 97-03 models the Isspro gauges matched the stock gauges the best and are similar in price to the Autometer gauges.

What kind of engineering do you do? I am currently studying to be an Agricultural/Environmental Engineer. I love the mechanical stuff (especially these trucks), but not enough to want to work on it the rest of my life.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by jre86
What kind of engineering do you do? I am currently studying to be an Agricultural/Environmental Engineer. I love the mechanical stuff (especially these trucks), but not enough to want to work on it the rest of my life.
Computer Systems now more Administrative & Oversight than Engineering. Still, I have pushed the envelope my whole life and have no intentions of stopping until mother nature stops me.

Getting the truck to run well on Ethanol is the first step and I am getting very close. Manufacturing my own Ethanol is the next step. I have the plans and will begin the process of building a still in the next month or so. It will cost between $1000 - $1500 (3" Copper pipe is very expensive). I spend $7500-$8000 annually for fuel. A bushel of corn is $1.80 to $2.00 today. Yield is 2.5 gallons per bushel. Corn is the primary ingredient; but, anything containing sugar can be utilized including sawdust. Easy math shows a cost of around $1.00 - $1.20 to mfgr the fuel myself. Even easier math shows 2500 gallons of fuel required resulting in an annual savings in the $3000 - $4000 the first year and quite possibly greater than $4000 the second year. I just moved my retirement closer by a couple of years. Even if consumption goes up by 20%, the savings are still very real and worth the trouble.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am currently looking for a Pyrometer (Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge). Auto Meter looks best; but, my son & I are struggling to find a place to put it without messing up the look of the interior of the Lariat..
In case Mike did not mention it, the EGT probe should be mounted at # 1 cylinder, and no more than 1 1/4" from the exhaust port. The Autometer cable is long enough to get there easily, from a pillar pod.
I admire your courage. Keep us posted.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
In case Mike did not mention it, the EGT probe should be mounted at # 1 cylinder, and no more than 1 1/4" from the exhaust port. The Autometer cable is long enough to get there easily, from a pillar pod.
I admire your courage. Keep us posted.

Thanks. Actually, I think it is Cylinder #5. Plese disagree if you know better.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Actually, I think it is Cylinder #5. Plese disagree if you know better.
I'm sticking with # 1, final answer! Best to ask an expert.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I'm sticking with # 1, final answer! Best to ask an expert.
Hi. You get the prize

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor

Now if you were talking about tuning a carburetor truck, that would *still* be too lean, though not as bad as they do have a lower BSFC than EFI motors - so you could get away with *maybe* 13.2:1 or so in a truck, and maybe 13.4:1 (on gasoline) in a car, depending of course on the EGT's - say, a max EGT under load of 1420 (F) taken at the hottest cylinder 1" off the exhaust port face.

Cheers
Grog

Old 06-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I am very impressed. Let us know how things continue to develop.

Quick Reply: Pro Racer Software Is In