Need more Horsepower...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more Horsepower...

I currently own a 2001 F150 4x4 Lariat with a 5.4 V8. This engine is a joke as far as HP is concerned. I have owned many cars and trucks and I am really surprised at the lack of power in this truck. Any ideas out there how to get another 100 HP out of this engine without spending thousands of dollars. I like the looks of the truck and I currently do not have any problems with it (so far) but the lack of power is very frustrating. My friend bought an 06 4x4 V8 (gas) and has the same complaint. Looking at Nissans real hard, but willing to invest a little cash to get this Ford's HP up where it should be.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:15 AM
most power the cheapest way

nitrous???????

Old 04-24-2006, 12:20 AM
This is true, but I'm not racing the truck a quarter mile each day. I need reliable power all day every day ( without filling the bottle at the end of each day).

Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Entry model powerdyne blower and a custom tune will have you right where you want be. Used powerdynes on ebay are readily available most times for around $1200. Tuning from troyer included and you'll be well under $2K

Old 04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi redracer,

You probably already know what the problem is - you have a 3 ton truck that is putting maybe 170-180 Hp down to the tires!!!

So if you want to add another 100 horsepower, you certainly can do that, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Now it is also true that *reliable*, safe & sustainable power doesn't come dirt cheap, as anyone who knows anything about modifying mod motor trucks knows.

Now all of that having been said, there are PLENTY of great things you can do to help get that truck motivated, and I would suggest doing your mods in the order of best bang for the buck - and that order is, first, have us do our custom tuning, as that is going to add an easy 40+ HP at the motor, and then next comes our intake setup, and then out cat-back exhaust - at that point, you are at our Stage 1 level, and that truck is much better off in terms of it's performance and driving enjoyability.

From there, it's on to underdrive pulleys and electric fans, the 2 of which will add an easy 20-25 more Hp AND you will burn less fuel all the time as well, thanks to the reduction in parasitic losses.

Now at that point, your total power gain is an easy 75+ HP, and well over 100 lbs/ft. of torque, and you haven't spent what a supercharger will cost, and you don't have to rely on a bottle for power (all throttle, no bottle for me). You will also have a much better driving vehicle that does not require a lot of other parts to make it work, and won't have hurt your budget badly.

There are any number of ways to get there, but we strongly recommend sticking with the bang for the buck route, as that way you get to the performance level you need for the least amount of cost.

I hope this brief info helps, & please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below to go over all of this in more detail, & we'll also be happy to answer any questions you may have, etc.

Best of luck with your truck, & thanks for your post!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 PM
(all throttle, no bottle for me).
Thats good, but I prefer

Bottles are for babies, real men get blown!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Mike,
Good advice, I ordered my XCAL2 yesterday (Thursday) and Crystal told me it was going to take as long as 6 weeks to receive it. Is this true??? Any possibility of getting it sooner???

Redracer
M Harrod

Old 04-28-2006, 09:07 PM
You're coming in after a big group buy. There was a long wait for a while, I think mine came in somewhere around 60 days, but it was an extremely customized job. I think I read where times had come down somewhat, but 6 weeks is only 30 business days.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everybody beeches about the wait, but nobody beeches about the tunes.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Everybody beeches about the wait, but nobody beeches about the tunes.
So if you buy an XCAL2...Patients is a virtue

Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Red Racer,

Actually, that was true for a few weeks, as like 98Navi said in his post, we mad the huge mistake of doing a Group Buy on our custom tuning (that has never been done before) and so we got our butts kicked with hundreds of orders for all kinds of vehicles with a lot of tough tuners, and every situation imaginable from not getting enough info, to having to read PCM's due to them being reflashed, etc. So some people got them in about 20 business days, while others took as much as 40+ business days - that was indeed very true, but right now we are knowing them out more quickly, and are finally working on the last 10 days or so of the orders that came in during the Group Buy time.

So I'd say more like 3 to 4 weeks should be your time frame - we are doing them as quickly as possible.

Historically, our normal turnaround time, from the time we got the CPW's completed and returned from the customer to the time we were ready to ship the tunes out, that usually runs 10-15 business days - but when we did that Group Buy thing, it just slammed us - but the other side of that is at the very same time, we were building and moving into another new shop, so that too had a big part of why it took so much longer than normal to get our custom tuning. That is all over now and we have moved into the new shop, and everything is up & functional here, so now it's just a matter of keeping our nose to the grindstone and pounding out the tunes, basically - and people are getting them much quicker now.

So that's the basic background on this, to give you a bit more info - trust me, we do not like to see people wait, and we know that by the time someone decides to order a performance part, they want it right NOW - me too! However, I can tell you that whatever your wait time is, it will be well worth it, and we'll do our very best to get it done as quickly as possible, my friend.

Thanks for your post, and thanks very much for your faith in us by placing your order for our custom tuning - you're going to enjoy it!