What chip should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What chip should i get?

I have a 1999 F-150 4.2 Liter and i am planning on getting a chip for it does anybody know which one i should get for performance?

ROSS

Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Suspended
Talking Get the superchip and a soldering iron

The one off my old truck! It was a '99/4.2l With the K&N and Cat Back...it rocked. It was a superchip but I forget which one. I do know you need the sticker ID from the passenger door jamb AA?? if I recall right and a soldering iron ($20 anywhere and actually handy to have around for other stuff) to make a small solder. In the end I had a rocket truck! Great response @WOT. Freeway passing was 60 to 90 in a heartbeat. VROOOOOOM I'm gone...

Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 AM
advice

you can't go wrong with mike troyers tuning knowledge & customer service- www.troyerperformance.com

Old 01-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ross,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

The 4.2 V6's benefit best from our custom tuning, as others have referred to in this thread - we specialize in F-150 performance, and are well known for our results. We also offer a special discount on our tuning products to registered members of F-150 Online such as yourself, and that special price is not reflected on our web site, so you'll want to call us for your specific pricing on our tuning products.

The 4.2 V6's typically have a problem of not being able to go open loop from the factory (and many times also do not even have the knock sensor system operational either) which means they can't even make their stock rated power - that needs to be fixed via custom tuning, as opposed to any off-the-shelf chip or tuning device - the nice thing is, you also get larger than "normal" power gains when that happens.

The 4.2 V6 engine is a great motor, and can take a LOT of abuse for a long time - we did the first supercharged 4.2 V6 years & years ago, and put down 400 RWHP on the stock engine, and it was an automatic - last we heard, it was still running strong at 170K miles and the valve covers had never been off - the 3.8/4.2 V6 series engines can take much larger percentage power gains and live compared to the 4.6 & 5.4 V8's in these F-150's, so the 4.2 V6 F-150 has a *lot* of potential.

To go over all of the tuning options in appropriate detail, so you'll know exactly what is available and your discounted price since you are a member here, please call us at our number listed below, & we'll be happy to go over all the details with no sales pressure, so you can give it some thought & make your decision from a fully informed position.

I hope this brief info helps, best of luck whatever you decide & we hope to hear from you!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
It all depends on your goals and what you want from the device you use for the tune. I wouldn't recommend using a chip persay, as being a 99 or newer vehicle you can use the handheld tuners that are much more multi-functional and easier to use than the ol chip. ( I have to use a chip, as my 98 isn't compatible with MOST of the new programmers and I needed a customized performance tune) There are multiple different versions on the market, each with its own specific benefits.

The ones you'll hear the most about (in alphabetical order) are

1) Diablosport Predator
2) Edge Evolution (I thinks its evolution, I know it has an A2 addon)
3) Hypertech
4) SCT Xcal2
5) Superchips

Most of the respondants here either use the Evolution or Xcal2. Its kinda hard to sort through all the mayhem of the posts, but there is alot of good info embedded in them. You really need to figure out where you want to go with it though. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the 4.2 and try to get it real fast, I'd just save and sell it for a 4.6 or 5.4 if you have the need for speed.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I couldn't disagree more - the truth is, we have *many* 4.2 V6 customers that are blowing away stock & mildly modified 4.6 & 5.4 V8 F-150's with some smart modifications - they have a distinct weight advantage, and the 3.8/4.2 V6 engine family can take *far* greater percentage of power gain then the 4.6 & 5.4 modular V8's in these trucks can and still live a normal service life.

There are twin-turbo 4.2 V6 F-150's running 11-second 1/4 miles that are daily drivers, we have a number of supercharged 4.2 V6's running in the 12's, and a number of 14-second and even a few 13-second 4.2 V6 F-150's that are naturally aspirated - I would *never* tell someone forget trying to get any real performance because it's "only" a 4.2 V6 and go get a V8 F-150 instead - wrong answer. Because we have specialized in improving the performance of this F-150 platform for the many years we have, we can take *any* of these trucks, regardless of which engine it has, and make it just as fast as each owner wants.

In fact, it's nice to see someone put a little bit of work into something "different" like the 4.2 V6 F-150, as it's certainly got plenty enough potential to be very rewarding - they have a better torque profile than the 4.6 V8, and can easily be made to not just keep up with, but walk away from, a 5.4 F-150 in stock trim, for example, with bolt-on parts.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi

The ones you'll hear the most about (in alphabetical order) are

1) Diablosport Predator
2) Edge Evolution (I thinks its evolution, I know it has an A2 addon)
3) Hypertech
4) SCT Xcal2
5) Superchips
Edge doesn't have a product for the v6's.
Also the A2 only works with the Juice controllers.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM
FX4, how about email. I'm interested in the edge with the A2 and wondering some details about it. (stang99x@yahoo.com)

And there is no substitute for cubic inches. If you truely want to spend the money for extreme power from a 6 cylinder, persay the twin turbo, then more power to you. Thats an expensive mod. Granted, I have seen inline 6's with turbos turn over 1000HP to the wheels. Of course, they had nearly 80,000 bucks in the car when it was all said and done.

Dont' take what I said wrong Ross, it's your truck and ultimately no matter the advice you recieve you get the final say. But I have been there (92 Explorer with the 4.0 OHV) and looked into the possibilities, and they were all more costly than the truck was worth in the long run. Even I sit here with a 5.4 wondering where to go next, as if you consider what it is worth (your vehicle) to the price of the mods you then have to ask yourself, do I want to spend what the vehicle is worth to supe it up!! I know I have more than what mine is worth in it, and one day I will pay the price for such.

One other thing, the weight issue. That sparked a little interest to me, so I looked around and found some good references as to the weight. The following are weights of ready to ship motors. The 4.2 is palletized, so that may add a few pounds to it, but no more than i'd guess 50.

Ford 4.2 V6 488# flexplate and front dress, no A/C compressor
Ford 4.6 SOHC 530# iron block, aluminum heads
Ford 4.6 SOHC 473#
Ford 4.6 SOHC 600# (Mustang)
Ford 4.6 DOHC 464# "9 pounds lighter than SOHC"
Ford 4.6 DOHC 437# without accessories
Ford 4.6 DOHC 521# aluminum block and heads
Ford 4.6 DOHC 576#
Ford 351 Windsor 510#
Ford 460 V8 720 #

All of the above were from a list compiled from the guy at this link
http://p197.ezboard.com/fazbusasfrm3...icID=109.topic

Based on that info, some of the 4.6 motors actually weigh less than the 4.2

Last edited by 98Navi; 01-24-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 PM
You really need to figure out where you want to go with it though. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the 4.2 and try to get it real fast, I'd just save and sell it for a 4.6 or 5.4 if you have the need for speed.
What's the difference between him wanted to tune his 4.2 for more power and someone buying a Navi, putting heavy wheels and junk on it, then supercharging it? The same could be said, if you want to go fast, start with a different vehicle.

Now with that said, I had a 99 Reg Cab with the 4.2 and a 5-speed. I had a lot of fun with that truck and with a few mods it would beat a stock 4.6 and hang with a stock 5.4. Even with the mods it was cheaper than a 5.4 equipped truck.

Last edited by hwm3; 01-24-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:48 PM
The shipping weights of the different engines don't really matter much. It's the weight of the truck itself with those engines installed that makes a difference.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Well then, whats the weight difference beyond the motor? A slightly lower duty suspension? Either way, you're not shaving off more than a couple hundred pounds.

What's the difference between him wanted to tune his 4.2 for more power and someone buying a Navi, putting heavy wheels and junk on it, then supercharging it? The same could be said, if you want to go fast, start with a different vehicle.
Hmm, I'll ignore the junk comment, say that the heavy wheels and tires increased the amount of tractionable area on the ground reducing the likely hood of broken traction (yeah, right, broken traction on 8000 pounds ), and the blower was the product of years of wanting to do it but never driving a single car for more than 3 months other than the wifes which I have had for 2.5 years. Granted, I shoulda done it on something else, so I could be seen as the pot calling the kettle black. However, if you take a quick look at this link http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ehicles/79238/ you'll see what I started out to produce myself. I am almost there currently.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:25 AM
FX4, how about email. I'm interested in the edge with the A2 and wondering some details about it.
98Navi...you can goto Here to see what the A2 is all about. On the main page is a link about the Edge Juice with the A2. I only know a little about the juice w/A2 but any other questions just send me an email through the forums.

*sorry about the highjack of the thread.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Those appear to not be directed at the 5.4 It just lists 6.0 and 7.3

Quick Reply: What chip should i get?