Xcal2, WOW

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcal2, WOW

Got my 91 Performance loaded up from the Xcal2 a few days ago. All I can say is WOW! It is amazing what a little computer programming can do! This is a whole new truck. With only an exhaust and Xcal2 it is extremely impressive once you hit about 2500 rpm or so, low RPM's still leave a little to be desired, the Airforce One in the mail will take of that I assume

Mike, you the man bro. Thanks alot! THe tunes are awesome, this 5.4 3V sure acts like it is alive now! I can't get enough of those 3/4 -WOT acceleration runs with those crisp, throw you back in your seat, shifts. Last night I noticed when the belt slips on those hard accelerations it almost sounds like a blow-off valve Better get a goodyear belt huh??

Can't wait to add that Airforce One now

If you are debating a tuner get the custom tunes from Troyer and the Xcal2 and be VERY happy

Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Mine should be on its way any day. Hope I can say the same about my 2v 5.4. Can we not clone mike so we can get our Xcals in half the time? J/K

Old 07-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by COFX4
(Snip
I can't get enough of those 3/4 -WOT acceleration runs
I hope that’s a typo and you meant 1/2 or 2/3 -WOT acceleration runs

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Xcal2. Mike’s tunes are the BEST

Old 07-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I placed my order yesterday or day before...I can't wait 2 weeks, although I'll have to

Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by DevilSun
Yeah, I placed my order yesterday or day before...I can't wait 2 weeks, although I'll have to
You may be waiting a little longer. I ordered mine over a month ago and was told 2 weeks and I'm still waiting.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi COFX4;

Very nice truck!

Yeah, I agree with JP... you shouldn't be doing too many 3/4 WOT shifts, or conversely 4/3 WOT downshifts - either is good way to risk damage to your OD tranny. You wanna play, defeat the OD first with that little button ;-)).

As for your low-end remark - I don't think the AF1 is going to noticeably improve it - better breathing is more of a factor at mid to high rpms, IMHO.

You should see far better low-end results from the higher octane custom tuning. That was my experience when I went from stock to an AF1 - and I may be all wet because you have the new platform, which may indeed respond differently. Perhaps it's more of a gearing thing?

Cheers!

Last edited by MGDfan; 07-21-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey guys, that was a typo. I meant 3/4 - Full throttle accelerations....I dont mash the throttle while the tranny is in overdrive...I was talking from a stop. I've never been a fan of 4th to 2nd downshifts anyway, too hard on the drivetrain. Only thing in the manual I saw was to turn off the overdrive if you are going to mash it while you are cruising in overdrive.....Are you saying you are not suppose to accelerate full throttle from a stop with the overdrive on

Old 07-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi. Okay - I gotcha now.

What I was referring to was not to do a WOT 3/4 upshift if you can avoid it.
It's okay to goose it from a stop with the OD on, but let up for that last upshift.

With the OD off, you'd stay in 3rd and just keep on revvin' 'till you either hit the rev limiter, or soil your shorts ;-))

If you are going to be doing this a lot, perhaps a FTVB or similar is in order...

Cheers

Last edited by MGDfan; 07-21-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi COFX4,

Glad to hear you're enjoying our custom tuning - it is the single best bang-for-the-buck mod you can make to these trucks, takes care of the lag in throttle response & numerous other issues, etc.

We're taking every AF! that they can make, just as quickly as they can make them. In fact, we're having to drop-ship most of them simply because we can't keep them in stock due to the demand. Many 2004 & 2005 F-150 5.4 3V owners waited to get an intake kit because they knew the AF1 was coming, and that we were doing the R&D on it - so they knew it would be the best. What that caused was a much larger-than-normal demand, as not only did the "current" owners want them, but there was so much pent-up demand from all those owners who waited until the AF1 came out. the 5,4 3V's intake takes a number of components that the older trucks didn't have to have, and it takes some time for the manufacturer to get each and every component in enough quantity.

We also had them change some things once those kits started shipping, as there were 2 of the parts that were sometimes getting cracked in shipping, and had to be made out of tooled steel instead of high-impact plastics, etc. that change was made some weeks ago, but these are just some of the things that have contributed to the delay in Air Force One getting caught up with these kits - and we really have to hand it to them, as they have made every change we have asked for, without question - they have responded wonderfully to all our requests, and now just have to get them cranked out in bigger numbers. We're working on it!

Thanks for your patience, & glad to hear you;re enjoying our tuning!

Old 07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey StdCabFX4,

I don't know when we got your CPW's, but I can pretty much guarantee you that it was not anything like a month ago, as we simply do not have any CPW's that were received that long ago where the tuning has not already been done. We track both the order date AND the date we actually receive the CPW's back from each customer, and each one gets done in the order the CPW's come in to us. And there aren't any that are a month old.

Now it *is* possible that you may have placed the order a month ago, but took additional time before you got the CPW's back to us - and of course there is also the shipping time, too.

But we do not have any CPW's that have been here for a month - so it sounds like it took you some time to get the CPW's filled out and sent back to us after you placed your order, as we simply do not have any CPW's that old.

I'm just saying this to let you know how it actually works, and to see if maybe we need to research your order status for you - if so, we'll be happy to do that just give us a quick call at our number listed below.

Just some quick FYI - a custom tune order can't go in line until we get that information (the completed CPW's) back from the customer - we have to do it that way because some people take 2 weeks (or longer) to get that info back to us, while others do it the very same day, and we have to do everyone's tuning in the order we get that info so everyone is treated fairly.

If you feel you provided us with the completed CPW's (our Custom Program Worksheets) "over a month ago," then we need to talk, as we do not have any CPW's that have been here for a month, and certainly nothing "over a month." So there must have been some time that elapsed from the time you called in an order before you actually provided us with the completed CPW's.

If you'd like us to research this, please give us a call at our number listed below so we can check this out for you, OK? I don't' want you to have to wait any longer than is absolutely necessary, or to have any misunderstanding, etc., so we'll be happy to check this out for you - please just give us a call.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Superchips Distributor:

My mistake, for some reason I thought DevilSun was waiting for an Air Force One. I did order the Stage 1 kit a month ago but I've had the Excalibrator and the Magnaflow for some time now.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
ok I think I am going on week 3 though, for mine, I think. I dont want to be calling and bugging though, I guess I'll give you guys a call cause I almost killed myself the other day pulling out in front of traffic (not used to these bulky slow trucks).

Old 07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
it should be here some time next week I cant freakin wait

Old 07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi StdCabFX4 (Bart C.),

Thanks for your post - I wish I had dropped back by and read it before I had our staff research it, as I had them go over your entire file after seeing your original post and came up with:

Order placed 6/10, CPW's received on 6/13, tuning shipped on 7/7, and was delivered to you on 7/12 by UPS. So in your case, from the time you got the CPW's back to us until we got your tuning done was only 18 business days - which is only 4 days longer than what we normally estimate. And that was due to that no-start issue (you may have seen us talking about last month) that affected a few vehicles and was caused by an update from the manufacturer. That caused us to stop tuning for a week or so in order for us to find the cause , identify it, make a fix for it and then throughly test that fix before we would send out any more tunes, as we tend to be extremely thorough to protect our customers, of course - and that added at least a week additional time frame to orders during that period, and yours was one of them. If it hadn't been for that, yours would have been done in 13 business days!

You're absolutely right on the AF1's for the 5.4 3V F-150's - we are taking every single one Air Force One can manufacturer. I don't know if you saw my post (I think it was in another thread, maybe?) where I was talking in detail about the lead times on the 5.4 3V AF1's - we asked them to make several additional changes to the materials used once they started shipping, because we saw that in a few cases, is UPS wasn't real careful there were a couple of high-impact plastic pieces that were getting cracked or broken. Sp we asked them to change that to tooled steel, and that took care of the problem,. BUT - that also set them back a bit longer, as it meant they had to get those components made in big quantities and during that time, did not ship out any more unit simply because they did not want to disappoint any customers who might have gotten damage to those parts in rough shipping, you know?

SO overall, I have to really hand it to the guys at AF1 for their willingness to work with us & respond to our every request/demand, and thanks to their hard work and our almost 2 years of solid R&D on that kit, it is simply the most powerful & best quality intake kit available for the 5.4 3V - period.

Add to that the fact that many 2004 & 2005 5.4 3V F-150 owners simply held off, refusing to order ANY other intake kit until the AF1 came out, has all led up to a scenario in which it is taking more time than we all like for them to get enough units out to fill the pipeline, and then enough more units so we can have 100 or so in stock at all times. Heck, we're having to drop-ship almost all of them due to the lead times and the vast popularity of those kits.

But it's very much worthwhile once they arrive, as no other kit on the market can deliver another 20 HP at just 2000 rpm at the rear wheels, or another 25 HP at just 3000 rpm at the rear wheels - and those huge gains are right in the exact areas that these heavy F-150's need them - we're do proud of what AF1 has achieved (and of our own R&D on that part, truth be told. )

Thanks for your post - by, by the way - yesterday when you & I were talking on the phone, I think you were on a cell phone as we got cut off & never got to finish our conversation!

Anyway, thanks again for your post & talk to you soon!

Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Mike,

I want to apologize for not calling back. Yes I was on a cell phone, but the location that I was in, I knew we would be cut off again. Hope you didn't keep on talking too long.
I'm in no hurry for the AF-1, it's way too hot to be under the hood of a truck here in Kansas right now.
I am enjoying the tuner and the exhaust though. After I install the intake, I'll have to try out the 91 Perf. tune.

Quick Reply: Xcal2, WOW