Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Chips, Tuners & Programming
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Chips, Tuners & Programming SPONSORED BY:

Old 07-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
XCAL II & FEPS Faliure

I just received my XCAL II and was trying to load the custom tunes Mike hooked me up with but when I select the tune I want (91 Performance) I receive a "FEPS Faliure" error. It doesnt matter what Tune I try to load i receive the same error. I know I should call Mike tomorrow but wondering if anyone has any ideas on whats going on?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
will it start?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbronco
will it start?
Yeah it starts up with no problem. This happens as soon as I select the tune I want to upload. As soon as I select the tune I want, it gives me that FEPS Faliure error? Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Garage is empty, add now

FOUND IT!!

FEPS Flash EEPROM Programming Signal. An 18-volt DC signal input from the diagnostic tool used by the PCM to initiate programming.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ronyms&index=F
Old 07-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman311
FOUND IT!!

FEPS Flash EEPROM Programming Signal. An 18-volt DC signal input from the diagnostic tool used by the PCM to initiate programming.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ronyms&index=F

Thanks Norman. At least I know what FEPS stands for now. Any ideas on what can be going on and why I'm getting a FEPS Faliure when I try to load a tune?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
hmm not sure....I got mine tonight and it programed just fine.....however mine is a 99
Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario
Thanks Norman. At least I know what FEPS stands for now. Any ideas on what can be going on and why I'm getting a FEPS Faliure when I try to load a tune?
Not sure....the electrical system in the truck is 12 volts everywhere but the PCM is looking for a 18 volt signal before it will let you do programming. My guess is the xcal is not able to pull enough juice from the truck or it's defective. I though I read somewhere you have to pull some of the fuses when programming? Maybe you got a mod on your truck the xcal2 didn't count on. I'm just guessing here as I never used one of these tuners.

Let us know what you find out from Mike at TP.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Platinum Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150 SVT
Hi Fellas,

You're on the right track here - it's either an issue where the battery is not supplying enough current & amperage to allow the PCM to be kicked up into the 18 volt mode required to program the PCM - or he's got a defective XCal 2.

I have spoken with Mario (a very nice gentleman), and have gone over everything with him - his vehicle is brand spanking new, doesn't even have 2K miles on it. He did have an auxiliary light plugged into the cigarette lighter, which is now out. We've advised him to connect a battery charger overnight, and see if that does the trick. If it doesn't, then we'll simply replace the XCalibrator 2 for him.

We haven't had an XCal 2 failure yet, but the bottom line is in anything man-made, sooner or later you're going to have a failure here & there - it's inevitable. Just like you can't build upwards of a million F-150's a year like Ford does and not have some warranty claims.

Thanks for calling us on this Mario, & we'll get this taken care of for you one way or the other!
Web Site: TroyerPerformance.com
(540) 965-7123
Email: Sales@TroyerPerformance.com
National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer
ASK US about our POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT SUPERCHARGERS for your 2004 & up F-150!
See our Troyer Performance Roush Project Truck in the second article down from the top at this link:http://www.roushperfmarketing.com/ne...ter_200701.htm
Old 07-08-2005, 12:43 PM