Custom 9100 Micro Tuner = loss of MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom 9100 Micro Tuner = loss of MPG?

Hi Everyone,

I knew well before I purchased my Custom 9100 Micro Tuner that by running the “91 Octane Maximum Performance Tune” on my truck that I may be sacrificing MPG for performance.
I am okay with that and I am quite pleased with my 9100 Tuner.
However, I would be curious to know what kind of gas mileage some of you guys are getting after installing your new tune?

On a full tank (about 21 gallons) I am averaging about 249 miles until Low-Fuel light comes on. This would mean I am getting about 11.86 mpg?
Does this sound about right to you guys?

What would be the best way to calculate mpg?

I drive mostly surface streets to\from work with some freeway driving.
Also, with as hot as it has been here in Los Angeles the AC in always on.

On a different note: after having my Air Force One intake installed for well over a year I encountered a problem with it the other day. I called the manufacturer up directly and they explained to me why the part went bad and shipped me out the replacement part free of charge.
I received it the next day ~ great customer service!!

Old 08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
stock tires and correct speedo calibration?

miles divided by gallons used =mpg don't assume anything, fill it full, write down the miles and fill it full again, then do the math.

I used to get 11-13mpg before and 14.7-15.3mpg after the 9100 and my foot out of it. same driving conditions as you, A/C eats gas but I run it.

before 9100, 180 miles between fill-ups now 225. i drive 21 miles to work. 21x2 times a day x5 days week=210 225/15=15 mpg.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Watsonr,

Thanks for the reply.
I am running 33" tires and have a 6" RCD suspension lift on my truck.
You can check out my gallery below.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2443

One of the main reasons why I purchased the 9100 Tuner was to resolve the incorrect speedo calibration caused by the larger tires & 4.56 gears. So I would assume it's now correct?
I am a member of AAA and they offer for free from time to time speedometer testing, maybe I should try that one day?

I will continue to keep a fuel\mpg log and then check the math again.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:26 PM
I Just ordered my 6600 Chip today, but I get about 300-330 miles to the tank with only K&N FIPK and SI/DO Flowmaster exhaust, stock 255/70/16 tires. I believe it works out to be about 13-14MPG. I also have a hard tonneau as well. The mileage difference is due to using A/C or not. Hot down here in LA (Lower Alabama).

I just purchased new tires- due in this weekend (305/70/16 Nitto Grappler AT) This is the reason why I am getting the 6600. To correct speedo and shift points. I will post MPG average after i get the tires mounted and the multi tuner installed.

Went with the following tunes:
1. 87 Octane Performance Tune
2. 87 Tow Tune
3. 89 Performance
4. 91 Performance
and it also has the stock tune as well.

I like that the 6600 has the shift on the fly capability.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tude,

A couple pointers on mpg & our tuning, etc...............(and of course, all of this has been discussed many times before, so this info is readily available via the Search feature).

First - generally speaking, you will not get less mpg with our tuning compared to the stock tuning UNLESS one of 2 things happens - either you drive the vehicle harder than before (which is very common when people get a new go-fast part), or you are using a lower quality fuel that has a lower energy (BTU) content than before.

You wouldn't believe how many people try buying the cheapest premium gas they can find when using our premium gas tunes, just to try to save a buck - which results in less power, performance and lower mpg, due to the lower energy content in the "cheap" fuels. On top of that, fuel formulations change at least a couple times a year everywhere in the country, with winterized or reformulated fuels in use in the cooler months always having a lower energy (BTU) content and reducing mpg until spring rolls back around again.

All else being equal, you aren't going to lose mpg in our custom tunes. Well, there are some of our "maximum performance" tunes (or "sprint" or "drag race" types of tunes) where we disable the fuel shutoff during coast-down - and if you do a lot of that (coasting), then I suppose it's theoretically possible that you might see a very slight loss of mpg - but we've never been able to even quantify it.

Some people don't calculate their actual fuel cost to operate properly, or even calculate their basic mpg correctly/accurately. The way to calculate your mpg accurately is to clear the trip Odo & fill the vehicle up - then drive it as you normally do. Then when it comes time to fill it up again, fill it the same way - not topping off, etc., just let the pump stop at the first click each time you fill up. Then take the number of miles driven since the last fill-up and divide them by the number of gallons it took to refill the tank - and *that* is your actual mpg. Then reset the trip Odo again for the next tank's mpg, and so on.

Don't try to judge mpg by where the needle is on the gas gauge, etc., that just doesn't work well as you have no idea how many gallons are actually left in the system using that method - it's just guessing. You've got a 25 gallon tank, and the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel rails, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator & fuel filter, all of which also have fuel in them too, and that must be accounted for to get accurate mpg numbers. So just do the mpg by how many gallons it took to refill the tank versus how many miles you drove since last fill up, and you'll always have a correct number. I.E., if you drove 323 miles, and it took 21.6 gallons to refill the 25 gallon tank - that would be 323 (#of miles driven since last fill-up) divided by (/) 21.6 (gallons required to refill the tank) =14.95 mpg (just for example).

Now in your situation, running 33" tires, 4.56 gears and a lifted truck, I'd say if you can hit 10 mpg or more in just any type of driving, you're doing pretty well overall.

Just FYI, I hope that info helps a little bit & good luck with your mpg!

Old 08-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Mr Tude

I have found that with the 9100 tuner my gas mileage is actually improving by about 1.5 mpg.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet so I can check each tank and also the overall.

Since installing the tune I have experienced as much as 18.352 mpg on a tank, but the overall average is about 16 mpg and increasing with each tank. I think it will level out at about 16.5.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi rgerlofs,

I'm glad you dropped by, as when I saw your screen name, I got a memory jolt - I think we needed to do a shift firmness adjustment for you?

I can't remember if we did that for you or not, or if that is still needed now that you have some miles on the vehicle with our tuning, but if my memory isn't deceiving me, I think we needed to do that shift firmness adjustment for you, that one of the shifts was too firm for your needs.......................

At any rate, if that is the case & we still need to do that adjustment for you, would you mind please giving us a call when you get a chance, so I can go over that with you in detail & get that taken care of for you, if we haven't already.

Thanks for your post - nice to see hard data being kept like that, and usually when people do that, they can easily see an actual *increase* in mpg with our custom tuning - congrats on keeping good data!

Good to "see" you again,

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 08-18-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi Mike

We still need to deal with the firmness, but decided to wait until after the dyno run.

That is scheduled for next week. We can do it all at once. Save you some time and trouble.

Thanks for thinking about me though.

Bob

Old 08-18-2004, 04:53 PM
just wanted to say, most of our f150s, (if not all) have 24 gallon tanks, so keep fillin after the click noise sounds.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bob,

Ok, thanks for your response - then we'll deal with that when we get all the other datalogging info (dyno and all the OBD-II port datalogging at the same time) from you, no problem!

Old 08-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi AU,

The 1997-2003 F-150's generally have a 25 gallon tank...........but I don't remember what the pre-'97's had, off the top of my head............

We strongly advise NEVER "topping off" the tank in *any* emissions-controlled vehicle (just as the owners manuals generally instruct). This is to avoid potential damage to emissions control devices, like cannisters, etc. - as well as for consistency in mpg calculations. The most consistent way to get good mpg data is to fill up at the same place (unless you're on a trip), and always let the pump stop on the first "click" - never "top off," due to the potential for damage to emissions controls. I know it's a strange concept, I grew up at a time when you generally pumped every last ounce you could get in the vehicle, right up to the filler neck!

This issue of preferably not topping off the tank didn't become a concern until roughly about the late 70's to early 80's in many vehicles, when charcoal & other media cannisters came along - ever since then, it's been a good idea (and many vehicle's owners manuals tend to comment on this) to not "top off" - meaning not to pump any more fuel after the pump first clicks off.

No big deal, this is just general FYI trivia....................

Quick Reply: Custom 9100 Micro Tuner = loss of MPG?