Neal the HP Freak finally documents 14's!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Neal the HP Freak finally documents 14's!

For everyone who has been following Neal's saga to get into the 14's with his non-Lightning F-150....

Ever since he saw "Cableguy" here on F-150 Online who has basically an identical truck to Neals and got into the high 14's some time ago, Neal has been chomping at the bit to get his 5.4 F-150 into the 14's. According to a post Neal made in another thread, he finally got it back to the track and is *solidly* into the 14's, with an ET of 14.72 @ 93 mph.

CONGRATULATIONS Neal!!

I wanted to ask you Neal, since I know this post will get yor attention, how were the traction conditions there at Milan? I ask because your ET should probably have been even a little quicker with that excellent mph you ran thru the traps, and I figured that Milan was in it's normal "greasy" condition. So let's have the details, short times, track conditions, etc.

So, tell us all about it Neal!!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-16-2000, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

GO NEAL GO NEAL GO NEAL GO NEAL!!!!!!!!!!!
It brings a tear to my eye to see a none Lightning thats running fast. This means there is hope for ALLLLLLLL.

Old 10-16-2000, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... MIKE T : YEA!!! I finally got this truck to go 14's! The track conditions at MILAN DRAGWAY were about average. I was only spinning off the line for about 5 feet at the most. But that was probably enough to keep me from going 14.50's!LOL! I did notice after my "5284" error code showed up that I lost anywhere from 1 - 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile. DAM! These runs were made with my stock 275-60/R17 GOODYEAR tires, with 23 PSI. The temp was about 75 degree's and about 70% humidity.

60FT - 2.1
1/8 - 9.3
1/8 MPH - 73.45
1/4 - 14.72
1/4 MPH - 93.00

2ND BEST RUN WAS :

60FT - 2.1
1/8 - 9.4
1/8 MPH - 72.68
1/4 - 14.87
1/4 MPH - 91.78

This 2nd run was made after my error code "5284" showed up. DAM!!! The other runs just went down hill from there and so did the track. Worst run of the day was 15.00.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, modified POWERAID spacer, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD, traction bars, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 345H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 10-17-2000, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey Neal,

Thanks for calling last night. Yeah, I'd agree, your O2 sensors are probably shot, or at least marginal, so it may be time to have them replaced under warranty, especially since you just spent all that money on the extended warranty!

I *knew* that truck was well into the 14's, and now you finally have the documentation, fantastic!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 10-19-2000, 04:00 PM
hey Neal,

what did you due to modify the POWERAID TB spacer and why?

Old 10-19-2000, 05:16 PM
Cool

HI!... JUST ME : Sorry about that still being in my signiture, I should edit that mod. That POWERAID spacer is now, and always was a peice of useless junk. It is now somewhere in my garage, buried under the junk that it is! With it on, I lasi almost 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, modified POWERAID spacer, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD, traction bars, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 10-19-2000, 06:24 PM
Thumbs up

lust bore it out to the same size as the t-body.take all the hexlite stuff out than it's just a spacer.that should getcolded air in their.if it's just sitting their why not do it and see.i bored my t-body and the spacer to,and i did feel a diff. i the sotp.

Old 10-20-2000, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Stewdog,

Neal's showing us all how quick a non-Lightning F-150 can be made to go, that's for sure!

He told me his next goal is to hopefully break into the 13's maybe, *before* the supercharger. If I know him, he'll get it there.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-21-2000, 08:10 PM
Cool

HI!... MIKE T : Well MIKE I went to ST. THOMAS DRAGWAY today. It's here in CANADA near LONDON, about an hour and a half from my house. Weather was pretty good, about 72 degree's with marginal humidity. 1st run was at about 11:00A.M with the stock 30 inch tall tires. Tire preasure was set at 22 PSI. That gave me a 1st run of 14.66E.T. 2nd run was 14.63, 3RD was 14.62, 4TH was 14.61. Then I decided to try putting on my 27 inch tall drag tires and see if I could better those times. Well you guessed it, I DID! 1ST run with 27 inch tires was 14.55E.T, 2ND was 14.53E.T, and finally a best of 14.53E.T. I was getting a lot better traction at ST. THOMAS than at MILAN DRAGWAY. My short times will show you that. I'm still not hooking perfectly yet. I'm still spinning for about 4 feet or so. I think I need to go to 24lb - 30lb injectors because the truck simply won't pull on top end at all anymore. I think it's running out of fuel. Here is my best run :

60FT - 2.0
1/8 - 9.2
1/8MPH - 75MPH
1/4 - 14.53
1/4MPH - 92.20

The one thing that I can't seem to understand is that I am 2 TENTHS faster, but 1MPH slower on almost every run. 13.99E.T "HERE I COME" lol!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 30LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, traction bars, EXTRUNE HONED INTAKE, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

Old 10-22-2000, 02:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
neal..excellent time! .
what size injector does the 5.4 have stock? maybe i am looking in the wrong places but information on the modular engines are hard to come by. like how well do the heads flow? what is the lift and duration of the cams.
i might be wrong but i think the larger throttle body would be a total waste of time and money and unless the engine needs it the injectors are not going to add much either. what about totally porting the intake or having it hone extruded?
what kind of rpm are you turning thru the traps? 92.20 seems kind of low so when it comes thru the traps the motor might just be all done. 2.0 60 ft. seems about right for a mid 14 run.

Old 10-22-2000, 07:49 PM
Cool

HI!... BROTHERDAVE : THANKS! The 5.4 has 19lb injectors from the factory. I have been told by many performance shops and MIKE TROYER that the stock 19lb injectors can support up to about 300h.p MAX. MIKE and I figure I'm putting out about 330 - 332h.p at the flywheel. My DRAGMATH program says with the time I'm running that I am putting about 267h.p to the rear wheels. Add 65h.p for drive line loss and you get 332h.p. 65H.P is a proven drive line loss told to me by MIKE TROYER which was given to him by SUPERCHIP's EDDY CURRENT dyno. DAVE, the only reason that I am installing a bigger (75MM) throttle body is to set the engine up for the SUPERCHARGER I am planning on installing in the near future. MIKE and I figure the truck needs bigger fuel injectors BAD! The stock injectors are just not capable of supporting my current H.P. I am turning about 4700RPM at the traps with my 27 inch tall drag tires. I am turning about 4250 with my stock 30 inch tall tires.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 30LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, traction bars, EXTRUNE HONED INTAKE, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

Old 10-22-2000, 08:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i didnt realize they used the 19 lb injector. the 5.0 mustangs used the 19 lb injector and you are right at around 300 it was time for new injectors. i have a buddy with a vortech supercharge 5.0 that puts out a little over 400 h.p. he has 24 lbs injectors and he has a laptop program that you can read while it is running, it says he is lean so if your future includes a blower the 30 lds is the logical choice. i am very impressed that you make that kind of power with no changes to the heads, cam or intake manidold. Does mike t. know of any others that are making as much or more with more extensive mods?

Old 10-22-2000, 11:01 PM
Cool

HI!... BROTHERDAVE : Ya I think I'm going to go with the 30 lb injectors right now. After the KENNE BELL "BLOWZILLA" supercharger (8PSI) is installed I will be installing (LIGHTNING) 36lb injectors, which I have "AQUIRED"!LOL! That should be putting me in the 450-460H.P range.(FLYWHEEL) You would have to ask MIKE TROYER about that last question of yours. As far as I know, I'm the only one that is crazy enough to try to make this "BRICK WALL" go fast naturally asperated!LOL!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 10-23-2000, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Neal,

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

OK, so you've made the goal we both felt you could in current trim, which was 14.50's, congrats! Excellent!

Now that this has been proven, I think we just might have a shot at that 13.99 in normally aspirated trim, with the other things that you are going to be doing.

Sorry I missed your call last night, but I took Sunday off for a change.

Get 'em, Neal!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-23-2000, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Brother Dave,

Your question to me was, do I know of other F-150's making similar power outputs with similar or more mods?

Yep, sure do. But they're not on F-150 Online. The only other fellow on F-150 Online to put his F-150 into the 14's normally aspirated and no nitrous is the gentleman that goes by the name of "Cableguy" here on F-150 Online, he hit 14.99 with just the Superchip, an Airaid kit, and a cat-back exhaust being his only mods. His truck is identical in configuration from the factory to Neal's, they are both 1999 5.4 2WD lighter F-150's.

Cableguy hit 14.99 at I think it was 91 mph, and Neal has more mods and has already exceeded those numbers by a considerable amount.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Neal the HP Freak finally documents 14's!