Jet ship & Hypertech programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet ship & Hypertech programmer?

I am looking for anyone that has any of these parts on their 97-03 5.4L F-1fiddy.
-I wanna know anything you have to say about the Gibson Side Swept exhaust. How is sound compared to stock and of corse the hp gain and gas milage too?

-If any body has a aftermarket super charger on their 5.4L tell me what is cost and all ups and downs you've run into? (in specific a Whipple Supercharger)

-Does anybody know if you can run a Jet Performance chip and a Hypertech Programmer together in the 5.4L?

-Who has spent the least dollar amount on a performance part and feels like they gained the most horse power. What was it and what do you think you gained?

I know this is a lot to ask but I'm about to do $9000 worth of upgrades to my 03' F-1fiddy and I just want some in site for people who have some of these things or just know a lot about. Please be as detailed as possiable and if you have pictures those are good too. THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Old 05-15-2004, 04:02 AM
Question for you: on 12/04/2003 you said in another post
I just bought my 03 f150 5.4L about 2 months ago. The gas mileage depends on how I drive. I recently put a Jet Performance chip, K&N FIPK, and a Hypertech Programmer in it. I did all that to get more power not for better gas mileage. Don't forget you don't by a truck for gas mileage. If you want good gas mileage buy a Honda hybread car or something. You buy a truck for many reason's, but good gas mileage is NOT one of them.
Do you have these already or not?

Old 05-15-2004, 11:36 PM
YES! I have them all! and I'm not bitchin bout my gas milage nor the price of it cuz I frankly don't care. I am not satisfied with the money I've spent for horse power and torque gains so I've decided to go another route and that's go big or go home!
I was recenlty told that the Hypertech and the jet chip are not compatible. I want to know if anyone else has heard that and why?
In the May 2003 issue of Truckin' there is a 04' Expedition 5.4L w/ a Whipple charger that makes 410 hp and 540 lbs-ft torque. I want that but first I wanna know from the public if they have anything to say bout that kit.
so if you think you stumped me the joke is on you. I've got money to spend but I spend it wisely. But thanks for remebering me, glad I left an impression!

Old 05-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Hodjie,

Sounds like you're going to have an exciting truck when you're done, if things are done correctly - let's address that a bit..............................this is the Computer Chips section, so some of what is in your post isn't relevant for discussion here - what is on-topic for discussion in this section are basically those topics related to Computer Chips, or the tuning of these vehicles.

Anyone who has $9000 that they are going to spend on modifying their vehicle for more performance needs to get *proper* advice from a knowledgeable professional on all these areas - and I mean a qualified F-150 performance expert specifically, who has many years of experience modifying hundreds of these trucks. Don't jump to conclusions just based on magazine articles (and there have already been several about the Whipple kit that still isn't actually shipping to the public yet, so you won't get any 2004 owners telling you about it), or based on opinions out on the Internet, etc., as that is a good way to make mistakes, etc.

For example - you can't use your Jet or Hypertech unit with a supercharger - those products are meant for use on stock to lightly modified trucks - that is what they are "compatible" with. They are not "compatible" with a supercharger or significantly modified truck.

The modifications you want to do (like a supercharger) require very meticulous *custom* tuning, which needs to be done by an F-150 tuning expert specifically. Because you are going to be doing numerous modifications to support a supercharger, the smart thing to do is to work out a completely balanced performance package that includes everything from A to Z - that way you have to make only 1 phone call if you have a problem, not 6 different calls to numerous different companies.

I'd strongly advise you work with a pro to go over all the various options, the pros & cons of each, so that you *know* what all is involved, what really works, what's the best bang for the buck, the approximate results you will achieve for your investment, etc., etc. Only *then* can you can make your decisions from a fully informed position, avoid mistakes, don't skip other areas that need to be upgraded to support the higher power levels, have only 1 phone call to make when you have a problem, etc.

We've specialized in F-150 performance for 12 years, and have built everything from mild daily drivers to all-out race trucks - and virtually everything in between.

For example, on the exhaust side of things, Gibson is not the way to go - not one of their numerous different models of exhaust would I use on these trucks, as they generally cause a noticeable loss of torque (as do 95% of the systems out there) and don't gain as much HP as some better options would - though the Swept Side system loses the least amount of torque of any of the Gibson systems for this truck, there are much better products out there - we do a lot of testing to determine just whose intake, whose exhaust, whose ignition, etc., etc. is doing the best job for various types of applications.

For starters, drop by our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com - slick on "shop" once the home pages loads, and then take a look at our various performance packages for these vehicles, as well as some of the individual sections - that will give you an idea of what parts are doing a nice job. You will not see the Whipple kit there for the 2004 models, as it's not shipping yet - it's not even finalized, we talk with Whipple about twice a month on that kit - we're waiting on it, too.

And of course, please feel free to give us a call to go over all of this and get some good advice, so you can give this some thought and know exactly what you're getting into before you jump into this project.

I like your basic thought process you've come to on this - the "go big or go home" comment in your post made be grin from ear to ear - I feel the same way about my truck, so I have an 11-second F-150 as my daily driver. Done correctly, you can have BIG power and a very fast truck, and still have proper daily driver capability and reliability, etc.

Sounds like you're going to have an exciting truck, & we wish you the best of luck with it - if you'd like to get some solid advice, give us a call at our number listed below sometime.

Good luck with your project,

Old 05-18-2004, 02:33 AM
Mike, I have $3500 iI want to spend on my Stang, so do you carry any parts for that?

Old 05-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi mf150,

Good to see you again, it's been a while!

Yes, we do Mustangs, too - we just don't talk about that very much here on F-150 Online. We're so truck-centric here that many people aren't aware that we modify many different Ford, Lincoln & Mercury vehicles - cars, trucks & vans. You wouldn't know it to look at our web site - if only we had a month (or 6) to do nothing but work on adding parts to our web site, which currently shows maybe 5% of what we do.............

Looks like you've already done some nice "groundwork" by the sig. on that Mustang - give us a call any time to go over what to do within your budget, etc., we'll be happy to help - of course.

BTW - what happened to the '01 truck?

Old 05-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Mike-

The truck was involved in a freak accident (maybe related to the fact that the numbers "666" were smack-dab in the middle of the license plate? Anyway, we were having one of the worst storms that I can remember. I was travelling about 35 MPH and a 75 foot tree fell directly in the road in front of me. I managed to stop enough to where no-one was hurt, but my truck had heavy front end damage.

I repaired it, and withing a couple months I sprung two headgasket leaks. They were then repaired by Ford under warranty. I checked a week after the new HGs were installed, and low and behold, the leak on the passanger side came back.

The next day, I traded in my 01 F-150 for a New 2003 Premium GT.

To keep this tech., I will be emailing you soon about some JBA shorties and a custom chip burn.

Nice talkin' to you via f-150online.

Quick Reply: Jet ship & Hypertech programmer?