Yet another SuperChip question :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-1999, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Yet another SuperChip question :)

I'm new to this board and have been reading with great interest topics about the SuperChip. I have a 97 F150 /4.6 and 5-speed. What improvemnts will the chip offer and can I do other mods, such as exhaust, blower, AFTER I get the chip? Also I am considering getting the replacement 351 from Ford and modifing it. Is there a superchip available if I go this route?

Most of my years have been spent on playing with older musclecars. Thses EFI/computers are a new learning experience for me. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-1999, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Andy,

Welcome to F150online!

The Superchip will add 26 hp and 40 lbs./ft. of torque to your 4.6 engine, and these figures are at the flywheel, so you can add them to your factory power figure and know about where you're at. The "standard" Superchip works well with many of the more popular bolt-on mods you read about here, such as the Airaid kit offered in the F150online store here, cat-back exhaust systems, etc. You only need a custom program when you do major modifications, such as a supercharger, ported cylinder heads, etc. One of the great things about the Superchip is that it is a "flash" design, which means that it can always be updated for your vehicle. Let's say you buy a Superchip, and 6 months later you decide to install a supercharger, which would require a custom program. You just have your Superchip updated! It's a flat $100 custom programming fee, and it costs the same whether you have a custom program done when you first purchase the Superchip, or if you have it done a year after you install the Superchip.

So almost no matter what you do to your truck, your investment in the Superchip is protected, due to it's flash design. The Superchip is guaranteed for the Lifetime of the original owner, and we offer exclusive discounts to F150online members such as yourself. Please contact us privately for that infomation, our contact info is below. Don't forget that we'll need your computer code, which is in the passenger door frame near the door hinges, 3 letters and a number.

Now, as to whether or not it will work if you decide to swap out your 4.6 for the older design 351, no, it won't, not unless you use the same computer and wiring harness and all other items from a computer-controlled 5.8 (351), and you'll want it to be a mass-air system at that. I think once you learn a bit more about all the things that you can do to your 4.6 to make it perform better, you'll forget about swapping in an older engine design that is going to require a lot of custom configuration, like getting a computer for the 351, and the proper wiring harness and all the sensors needed, etc.

For example, you can add an easy 50hp to your 4.6 just by using the Superchip, the Airaid kit that eliminates the restrictive factory airbox, and then installing a cat-back exhaust system, preferably Gibson or Jardine. Doing those 3 things will get you about a 50 hp increase, and will set you back a total of a little over $700. And from there, there are still many more things that can be done, such as adding headers, and then getting the ignition system hotter, etc. Now that computer controlled vehicles have been around for a number of years, the aftermarket has responded by making lots of nice bolt-ons available to improve the performance of that 4.6, and I think you're going to love what you find out here about those 4.6's and what they can be made to do.

All the best,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 09-20-1999).]

Old 09-20-1999, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey Mike...
I know you'll see above and answer it, so I
thought I'd piggy-back another question here..do we need an "Ask Mike" catagory?
Anyway..I heard on the 4x4 w/auto 4, the
computer doesn't give "full throtle" response
unless you are in either "Auto 4" or 4x4?
Is this someone's mis-information? I usually
drive in 2x unless the road is sloppy.
Thx in advance.
Rick

Quick Reply: Yet another SuperChip question :)