Superchip's 1715

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip's 1715

I gotta question for anybody who can answer me. I cut off the mufflers on my truck (professionally..Left Cats) and put a K&N air filter on my truck. It is a 4x4 but I don't really use it that much (hate cleaning the damn thing) but anyway if I put the 1715 on my truck is it gonna make a difference that i had done those mods to my truck. I am really looking for performance but I also would really like the increase in fuel economy. I am driving it down to Panama City Beach at the beginning of April so if it will help I would like to put the tuner on it before then. All in all i just wanted to know if the mods I have done so far will screw anything up on the adjustments.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey, look under the thread that I started "Question about superchips microtuner" That will give you your answer.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Garzo,

The 1715 Micro Tuner will do a nice job of adding more power and performance, no question about that - may people here are using them. And many people also see small mpg gains as well - now don't think it's going to get you 3-4 more mpg, as that rarely happens - it's usually more like 1.5-2 mpg, when you keep your foot out of the firewall (so to speak) and use good quality gas - no cheap stuff, no off-brand or no-name fuels, etc. Keep in mind that it's a *performance* part, not a "fuel mileage" part - the potential for improving mpg is just a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle, so your results will depend on the vehicle's condition and how it's operated and fed (fuels).

There is also one other Micro tuner option that is very new you'll want to know about - for those willing to spend a little bit more, there is our new *custom tune* capable version of Micro Tuner, in which we can get deeper into the program via in-depth custom tuning. What we generally recommend is to give us a call and we'll review your individual vehicle's computer code, and then let you know if there will be enough *additional* power & performance gain to be had by using doing an in-depth custom tune or whether the 1715 Micro Tuner is the better choice for your particular truck - just give us a call at our number listed below & we'll be happy to go over all of that with you.

The background on this is, these trucks have many different software revisions inside their PCM's each model year, and in some of them, they have more deeply ingrained issues with things like transitioning over into open loop, or other issues that are better addressed by us doing an in-depth custom tune - so if you'd like to know just what the deal is on *your* truck's computer code, so you can make a fully informed decision as to which Micro Tuner to use, just call us & we'll be happy to cover all of that in proper detail with you, so you can give is some thought and decide what you feel will be best for your needs.

There is one other thing you need to know about, and this is regarding what you have done to your exhaust - while running straight pipes from the cats on back sure sounds very nice for those who want to have an obvious V8 "throb" in the exhaust note and don't mind it being louder, that kind of configuration really isn't th best very for your power levels in certain areas of the power curve - for example, below about 3000 rpm on part-throttle, you actually *lose* torque. Yes, you'll gain some horsepower at higher rpms & heavy throttle position, due to the reduction in restriction, that is certainly true. However - you actually lose torque on part-throttle below about 3000 rpm or so, especially at about 30% throttle opening or less - right where you cruise at, and that can have a negative impact on fuel mileage.

It doesn't matter that it was "done professionally" (though that was certainly a good idea to have a pro do that for you so it fits right, looks good, etc.), it's a matter of what actually happens to the exhaust gas *velocity* as a result of those changes. You are actually better off doing a properly designed cat-back exhaust system that is flow engineered to maintain maximum exhaust gas velocity, which enhances the scavenging effect - *that* is the specific mechanism that has the biggest impact on part-throttle torque at *any* rpm - which affects throttle response and fuel mileage. Now if you like what you've got, that's perfectly fine of course - just be aware that your configuration actually reduces torque on part-throttle at lower rpms, and that can have a negative impact on fuel mileage. (And I'm sure that configuration sounds good, no doubt!) Just FYI..............

The modifications you have done are still compatible with the 1715 Micro Tuner, no problem there - you can do things like an intake kit, cat-back exhaust changes, a larger throttle body, electric fans, underdrive pulleys - and even headers, if they are the "shorty" style that do not alter the position of the upstream O2 sensors. The types of mods you *can't* do and use the 1715 Micro Tuner are things like larger fuel injectors, a different MAF meter, ported heads, camshaft changes, superchargers, nitrous, etc.

Now in our new custom-tune capable Micro Tuner, you can do ANY modifications you like, and we can tune for them - again, if you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to call us & we'll review all of that with you.

Good luck with your truck!

Old 03-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mike I apprecciate all of your help and I actually called and talked to Anita and she told me all the informatino I needed and I ordered a 1715 from you guys. Thanks again man for all of your help and informatiobn. garzo

Old 03-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Garzo,

You're very welcome & glad to hear Anita took care of you!

Have fun,

Quick Reply: Superchip's 1715